Author Topic: Forget bigs, the upcoming draft is DEEP with shooting guards  (Read 6557 times)

Re: Forget bigs, the upcoming draft is DEEP with shooting guards
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2018, 12:41:27 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Below are comparisons for the 18 SGs projected to be out of the lottery by Tankathon. Nice tool that highlights strengths (green dot) and weaknesses (red dot) compared to their peers. Troy Brown, Shake Milton, Donte DiVincenzo, Kevin Huerter (Celtics per Tankathon mock), Khyri Thomas, Issac  Bonga, Gary Trent, and Bruce Brown are all slotted in their mock to be in our vicinity +/- 7 picks

http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=troy-brown--donte-divincenzo--shake-milton--anfernee-simons--zhaire-smith

http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=isaac-bonga--bruce-brown--kevin-huerter--khyri-thomas--gary-trent-jr

http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=rawle-alkins--grayson-allen--hamidou-diallo--de-anthony-melton--jerome-robinson

http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=sviatoslav-mykhailiuk--malik-newman--josh-okogie

My pick among the 4-5 SG in our immediate pick vicinity would be Khyri Thomas. 6’3.75 with 6’10.5” wingspan, 2-time Big East DPOY, with a 62.5% TS%. Not a bad combination, but I’ve seen him slotted as high as #17. I’m looking for a guy who can contribute rather than a long-shot star. We have plenty of stars and better picks in future drafts than #27. Wouldn't be surprised if we swap the pick plus a player to move up and get big or trade down especially if SG is considered the position of need.  At this point in Danny’s career, I trust him.

“Thomas is interesting in that he’s more of a combo guard than a true wing, measuring in at just under 6’4” during the draft combine last week. However, he doesn’t let his size deter him on the defensive end, winning Big East Defensive Player of the Year in both his sophomore and junior seasons at Creighton. A lengthy 6’10.5” wingspan reduces the height deterrent, enabling Thomas to pester ball-handlers without fouling, and giving him an edge at intercepting passes. With high assist and steal numbers, and fantastic efficiency, Thomas is a prospect who looks to be one of the best in his class statistically, getting docked mostly for his age and height. Those are real factors limiting his upside, no doubt, but I don’t think they are big concerns considering his overall skillset. Khyri can shoot, he can pass, and he can play defense, and those are a rare combination of tools for a prospect. “

https://www.clipsnation.com/2018/5/31/17414082/underrated-and-overrated-wing-prospects-in-the-2018-nba-draft
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 12:50:18 PM by colincb »

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2018, 01:39:00 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
can any of these shoot better than Smart ?

Can any of these play better than Smart? um, nope!

Well you do realize offense is half the game right? So coming to that revelation it is easy to say many of them could be better than Smart when talking about a fully rounded player!

You do realize that there are other aspect to offense than simply shooting, right?  And that Smart is good-to-very good at many of those other components?

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2018, 02:19:23 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Well you do realize offense is half the game right? So coming to that revelation it is easy to say many of them could be better than Smart when talking about a fully rounded player!

And you do realize that offense isn't just shooting right? Spacing, setting screens, good passes, etc. I'd say he does many offensive things very well.

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2018, 04:41:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Honestly, I could see us trading the pick and using the money to sign a veteran.

I’m looking for a guy who can contribute rather than a long-shot star.

Then trade the pick.

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2018, 04:55:18 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Mo Bamba or bust, for me.

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2018, 05:09:12 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Honestly, I could see us trading the pick and using the money to sign a veteran.

I’m looking for a guy who can contribute rather than a long-shot star.

Then trade the pick.

Won't get much of a veteran for $1.6 million. I could see Smart leaving and using his money to get a vet.

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2018, 05:36:31 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Yes. Rawle Alkins.

Not likely.  But we can sign him when he goes undrafted.

On what are you basing this statement?

That I think he’s only about a 50/50 chance to get drafted, and that you have a penchant for really liking players that go undrafted (Daniel Ochefu comes to mind, but I know you’ve had others as well).  Regardless of his draft status, however, thinking that a wing who was only okay as a college shooter, was inconsistent defensively in terms of effort, and has zero ability to run an offense will be better than Smart is either offering some very aggressive projection for Alkins, completely overlooking that Smart is a capable PG even without a shot, or both.  With you, I lean more towards the former than the latter.  But Alkins projects as a 3&D wing who currently has shown an inconsistent 3 and inconsistent D.  Maybe he’ll get drafted.  Maybe he’ll make it in the NBA.  But no way will he be as good as Smart, flaws and all.

Lol, this has absolutely nothing to do with me, man, but if we're going that route I'd like to give Ochefu an actual shot as opposed to just letting him rot in the G League. Just because he doesn't shoot threes doesn't mean that he can't play at the professional level, and he's better than Baynes, imo, who I actually like, btw, just for the record.

Still, and with all do respect, there are a number of problems with your analysis in terms of "You're Gonna Hear Me Rawle", lol ;D, imo. First, Alkins is not, and has never been, a "wing" in any sense of the word. He's a combo guard, at the absolute worst, with pretty decent playmaking skills, again, imo, although he is built like a tank, so there's that ;D.

Second, if you think that Alkins is an inconsistent shooter, as to how, exactly, would you describe Smart, even while the latter was in college, lol? Like, it's not even close in this regard between the two guys, imo. Come on ::).

Third, Alkins, and somewhat like Smart, I suppose, was the glue guy for the Wildcats during his time in Arizona, bringing that added dimension of emotion and toughness to a team that was lacking in both without him during his two seasons, there. Really, in his absence, they just weren't the same club, imo.

Fourth, Alkins has not only shown a penchant for hitting big shots, but he can also, and unlike Smart, play off of the ball, whether in terms of spotting up or doing his damage in the post, where, again, unlike Smart, he actually has moves to utilize, inside, as opposed to simply attempting to run over/through his defender, lol, and

Fifth, he's neither a bonehead nor flopper who has the ability to both get to and actually finish at the basket. I just can't believe that this is the bar, now ::). Ugh.

Combine all of that with an excellent work ethic and I don't see any reason as to why Boston should pass on him, but I'm weird :-\. He's the only guy in whom I have any interest in this draft, btw, so you won't see any "blowup the team" ideas from me, this year, bahahaha ;D. Even among potential undrafted players, the only dude who I'd pursue, there, would be Ben Lammers, but yeah, that's it. What a dull draft, LOL ;D.

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2018, 12:10:48 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Yes. Rawle Alkins.

Told you he’d go undrafted.

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2018, 12:12:02 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yes. Rawle Alkins.

Hopefully that's all you're correct about *cough* Robert Williams *cough*.

But I doubt it. I don't mind Williams at all though. Bit of a steal
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2018, 12:15:47 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Yes. Rawle Alkins.

Actually surprised he went undrafted, he's a solid guy with decent size, and durability/strength. Has a lot of intangibles, but I'm totally okay with him going undrafted, makes it cheaper for us!  ;D ;D ;D ;D. He's a nice bench piece to add to any team.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2018, 07:26:30 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Yes. Rawle Alkins.

Actually surprised he went undrafted, he's a solid guy with decent size, and durability/strength. Has a lot of intangibles, but I'm totally okay with him going undrafted, makes it cheaper for us!  ;D ;D ;D ;D. He's a nice bench piece to add to any team.

I just read he is signing with the Toronto Raptors.