Author Topic: Giddens has monster line in OT loss  (Read 16642 times)

Re: Giddens has monster line in OT loss
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 10:45:44 AM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
I saw the first game in Austin.  Giddens looked ok but his outside shot is not pretty. He needs to improve his mid-range game and make that the focus of his offense. Walker had a good game shooting but it was disappointing that he didn't go inside much.  His 3-point shot has improved and looked very good. However, he rarely drove to the basket and just stayed on the perimeter all game. It is also a little concerning that he seems to walk with a limp. He just doesn't look 100%. It might just be an issue of some residual soreness and getting full confidence back in the knee. 
Great info.
Did you actually go to the game? 
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 10:58:45 AM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
Giddens midrange shot is probably the strength of his shooting game - over the bulk of his collegiate career he has shown a deft touch coming off screens or shooting off the dribble in the 14-17 foot range, which is where a lot of his playmaking comes from as well...

Walker is likely going to take more perimeter shots and use his off-the-dribble shot more than post ups and drives because that is what he needs to work on the most. I would be counter-productive for him to simply go to his strengths and beast inside when he needs development with his range and dribble...

I have seen both these guys play down in the D-League and I am happy to see how they are playing...Giddens did much more on-ball stuff in this game, which is probably what he is best suited for...I think Boston had him working off-ball too much in TC, which he'll have to do some of, but he is a more talented version of Tony Allen IMO and should slash with the ball in his hands as a playmaker at times, not just shoot off curls and such...

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 12:03:47 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
he is a more talented version of Tony Allen IMO and should slash with the ball in his hands as a playmaker at times, not just shoot off curls and such...

Tony was a pretty talented player pre-injury. If Giddens is that good than we're/he is in good shape. I saw all the positives,but What would you say Giddens has to work on then? Playing off the ball?

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 12:17:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
i haven't cared less about our rookies in years.  Even when Bill Walker had his couple dunks, I was completely underwhelmed and unexcited. 

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 12:20:18 PM »

Offline MrBlonde

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
I saw the first game in Austin.  Giddens looked ok but his outside shot is not pretty. He needs to improve his mid-range game and make that the focus of his offense. Walker had a good game shooting but it was disappointing that he didn't go inside much.  His 3-point shot has improved and looked very good. However, he rarely drove to the basket and just stayed on the perimeter all game. It is also a little concerning that he seems to walk with a limp. He just doesn't look 100%. It might just be an issue of some residual soreness and getting full confidence back in the knee. 
Great info.
Did you actually go to the game? 
Yes, I was at the game. Another note, Walker really seems to have a lot of fun on the floor, it just seems like he wants to play and doesn't mind playing in the D-league. One really positive aspect of Giddens game was he hit a jumper (one on one) at the end of the first half and hit the game winner at the end of overtime (threw it in to him with 0.5 seconds and he just caught it towards the corner and barried a jumper). However, he did brick a couple of free throws at the end of regulation that would have sealed the game.  Shortly after that he blocked a lay up attempt but the block went all the way out to the 3 point line and they buried a 3 pointer to tie the game.

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 12:25:09 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Giddens midrange shot is probably the strength of his shooting game - over the bulk of his collegiate career he has shown a deft touch coming off screens or shooting off the dribble in the 14-17 foot range, which is where a lot of his playmaking comes from as well...

Walker is likely going to take more perimeter shots and use his off-the-dribble shot more than post ups and drives because that is what he needs to work on the most. I would be counter-productive for him to simply go to his strengths and beast inside when he needs development with his range and dribble...

I have seen both these guys play down in the D-League and I am happy to see how they are playing...Giddens did much more on-ball stuff in this game, which is probably what he is best suited for...I think Boston had him working off-ball too much in TC, which he'll have to do some of, but he is a more talented version of Tony Allen IMO and should slash with the ball in his hands as a playmaker at times, not just shoot off curls and such...

Does Giddens have the handle right now to slash like Allen (I suppose Allen isn't a great ball handler either, but from what I have read and seen, I thought Giddens had a lot of work to do there)?

And great point about Walker.  I really like the fact that he is working on his weaknesses.  If he is going to get anything out of this trip to the D-league, that is absolutely what he needs to be doing.  He should treat the games almost like a practice...especially since I get the feeling he practices with the intensity of a game anyways.

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 12:26:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Giddens does not have a textbook release of the ball on his jumper(looks very close to barbosas style).Good news is that if giddens is left open he can nail jumpers even out to the three point line.

He is looking more like a SG version of Rondo with seeing his stats in the nbdl.

I would like to give walker and giddens a proper nba chance late this year to next year.

another thing that is hampering us a little is that Danny is an amazing scout. He drafts players and actually develops them better than any gm i've really seen. So with that and our roster situation it would be best next year unless he gets a paul pierce to fall to 29 to 30th range to draft a guy who he can stash overseas or just trade the draft for a future draft pick

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 12:28:21 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

another thing that is hampering us a little is that Danny is an amazing scout. He drafts players and actually develops them better than any gm i've really seen. So with that and our roster situation it would be best next year unless he gets a paul pierce to fall to 29 to 30th range to draft a guy who he can stash overseas or just trade the draft for a future draft pick

Lucky for us, we don't have a first rounder next year (traded to Minny).

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 12:29:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Most important to me was how was their defensive play? Do either have the makings of being good two way players on the next level? So often, especially in baseball, when kids go down to minor leagues they concentrate mainly on offense. I'd like to know how much effort they put in on the defensive end and if they were good defensive players.

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 02:07:48 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Most important to me was how was their defensive play? Do either have the makings of being good two way players on the next level? So often, especially in baseball, when kids go down to minor leagues they concentrate mainly on offense. I'd like to know how much effort they put in on the defensive end and if they were good defensive players.

the report on JR out of the draft was that he could contribute to a team from the start becuase of his defense, but as i haven't seen a full utah game, and there isn't really a statline that tells good defense... i'm actually wondering the same thing.

this is wear i wish that the celtics owned their d-league counter part (spurs lakers) so that they could control the way their young talent is being coached. if giddens and walker (pruitt as well last year) were being coached to play the same aggressive overwhealming defense that is being played in boston, they would be more prepared to just step right into the big game be it this year or next year.

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 02:11:51 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

the report on JR out of the draft was that he could contribute to a team from the start becuase of his defense, but as i haven't seen a full utah game, and there isn't really a statline that tells good defense... i'm actually wondering the same thing.

this is wear i wish that the celtics owned their d-league counter part (spurs lakers) so that they could control the way their young talent is being coached. if giddens and walker (pruitt as well last year) were being coached to play the same aggressive overwhealming defense that is being played in boston, they would be more prepared to just step right into the big game be it this year or next year.

also CSN would probley play thier games on offdays for the big club, which would be cool.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 08:23:36 PM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
It's clear to me: They will stay in the D-League until at least two of our 12-man group are out for one game.

I disagree. There wasn't much point to keeping Walker/Giddens on the roster in November because we played so many games and didn't really have any practice time. So there was no point to having them sit in street clothes during games and not be able to practice with the team. Now, the schedule is getting a little better and we are going to have more practices. I would expect one of them to get called up soon so that they are comfortable with the plays and can be called upon if/when needed. They have back to back games of Friday/Saturday and then don't have another one until next Friday, while we have a game on Sunday and don't have another one until Thursday. I would think that at least one of them gets called up after Saturday.

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 10:19:02 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Giddens should be better than Walker right now. He's two years older and had 2 or so more years of college experience. I still think Walker is the better long-term prospect, but I hope that both pan out. Giddens' older age was one reason he slipped...guys that old with non-stupendous college numbers don't usually become stars and have limited upside...but we'll see. i wish them both success as long as they are celtics

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 11:15:02 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Woah. Those are some pretty impressive stats. No point of bringing him up anyways. He's not going to play.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 11:21:14 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
There wasn't much point to keeping Walker/Giddens on the roster in November because we played so many games and didn't really have any practice time.

Good point.  The Cs are geared towards winning a championship this year, and Giddens/ Walker are, at best, deep bench back up this year.  At worst, they are trade fodder.  A few years from now, when the Cs are in a bit of a rebuilding mode, the two of them will be getting good mins for the Cs, putting up solid numbers.  But right now, they are where they need to be, which is getting PT in the D League.
Celtics fan for life.