Author Topic: Giddens beats buzzer, combines with Walker for 42 points, 20 rebounds  (Read 9020 times)

Offline FierceLikePaulPierce

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=2020800004

For what it's worth, Bill Walker and JR Giddens each put up great numbers in their NBADL regular season debuts Friday night.

Giddens hit a buzzer-beater to give the Flash a 93-91 victory. He played 45 minutes and had 19 points on 8-of-18 shooting with 12 rebounds and two blocks; Walker posted 23 points on 9-of-19 shooting (5-of-9 on 3-pointers) with eight rebounds, four assists and five steals in 41 minutes.

They also combined for seven turnovers, but these are pretty encouraging debuts. Definitely where they belong right now to get them confidence and playing time.

The following link will eventually carry free live and archived video of all games this season, but right now it's having "technical difficulties." I'm not gonna hold my breath, but this could be a good way to keep tabs on the young'uns.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/dleague_webcasts.html
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 12:07:56 AM by FierceLikePaulPierce »

Re: Giddens beats buzzer, combines with Walker for 42 points, 20 rebounds
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 12:27:58 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
walker should be in uniform with our team and getting what minutes he can (no matter how small they may be).  its nice to see him getting to play ball, but i think he has the ability to contribute this year.

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 12:41:11 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
walker should be in uniform with our team and getting what minutes he can (no matter how small they may be).  its nice to see him getting to play ball, but i think he has the ability to contribute this year.

Problem is he can't get any minutes with this team right now. Neither can Giddens. It's best right now for them both to be able to get extended run down in the d-league for now. Their time will come. No need to rush it right now.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 12:47:00 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

Problem is he can't get any minutes with this team right now. Neither can Giddens. It's best right now for them both to be able to get extended run down in the d-league for now. Their time will come. No need to rush it right now.

true, but i'd prefer him practicing with the team and learning from the vets in practice.  id rather see him in uniform or on the bench inactive than POB.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 01:01:27 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
lets learn
and live the game
i am not not judging docs reasoning here

this guy will be the next coming of a consistant wing
and we all have to wait for that to happend

No.19
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 01:21:52 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170

true, but i'd prefer him practicing with the team and learning from the vets in practice.  id rather see him in uniform or on the bench inactive than POB.

And he's still have plenty of time to do that too. In fact he already has had plenty of time doing that. But he's still in the end a basketball player. You can only get but so much from practice. Applying what you've learned in practice at game speed in games is how players eventually get better. Giddens and Walker might get called up at various points in the season for spot minutes but they can still learn in Utah and since the D-League season ends before the NBA season they'll still have time to learn.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 01:26:48 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Now these are the type of numbers that NBA players should be putting up in the NBDL.  Both Giddens and Walker are showing that they deserve to be on an NBA roster.  Now they need to keep it up and show some consistency, so Danny has no choice but to bring them back.

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 02:27:38 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

There are 13 other players in practice. They sent Walker down because he wasn't even able to find time in practice (when we actually had practices).

He'll have his time, but don't be so impatient. If he was already ready, they would have kept him around.

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 02:48:29 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
giddens also showed that he is an amazing rebounding guard, as he showed in college, and stated by danny.

also nice to see walker shooting good from 3, seeing as in how he's knows as a pure slasher. if he can hit mid-long it'll open his game right up. at first paul was known as a slasher, then he worked on his outside shot and became a full scorer (pierce did say that walker reminds him of himself)

i love this dleague stuff.

another note: walker got the assist on jr's gamewinner.

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 02:50:42 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
They will both be called up/ sent back down/ called up -- not to worry, they will get good PT in the DLeague and also some extended practice with the big boys.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 03:10:28 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
They will both be called up/ sent back down/ called up -- not to worry, they will get good PT in the DLeague and also some extended practice with the big boys.

utah flash DLEAGUE CHAMPS this year.

ALSO, i watched a game from last year to see gabe pruitt playing a little and it was pretty interesting, i'd suggest it to anybody that got some spare time.

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 03:39:48 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I know gabe pruitt hasn't been given a chance to play at this time, but he is really looking like the odd man out. Does any nba team really need three pg's??

Either giddens or walker should be in for pruitt.

We pretty much have tony allen as the only sg/sf situations.

In any case really proud of both rookies and both should have roster spots for next year.

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 09:32:25 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I gotta agree with Dark Lord here. Better to have Walker playing 10 mpg behind PP in these blowouts than stuck in the D league. Same with Giddens, he can get the 10 behind Ray in blowouts. Of course then you have to put Scal and Pruitt next to Cassell, cut Tony Allens' minutes and probably Eddie House as well.

I think that by January, we should try this a few times. Maybe even start Tony Allen and give Ray a nite off against certain teams. These two kids will learn so much more playing and practicing with the big guys. Now if the two of them are playing like knuckleheads, cant be in the right place on our plays and missing assignments, then they may as well stay in Utah.

As to Pruitt, he just needs to beat out Eddie House or Tony Allen for the 'first guard off the bench' role. So far that hasnt happened, but it will by next season or he will likely be gone. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 10:25:39 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Rather see them play right now in the d-league then sit on the bench.  They need pro court time and they are now getting it.

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 11:49:02 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Giddens hit a buzzer-beater to give the Flash a 93-91 victory. He played 45 minutes and had 19 points on 8-of-18 shooting with 12 rebounds and two blocks; Walker posted 23 points on 9-of-19 shooting (5-of-9 on 3-pointers) with eight rebounds, four assists and five steals in 41 minutes.

They also combined for seven turnovers, but these are pretty encouraging debuts. Definitely where they belong right now to get them confidence and playing time.

I am very encouraged by their numbers.  Let's hope they keep it up.  I wonder if Danny is purposely keeping them together to create competition.  If so, I like the results so far!
Celtics fan for life.