Author Topic: Celtics "open to discussing Paul Pierce"?!  (Read 20252 times)

Re: Celtics "open to discussing Paul Pierce"?!
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2013, 07:05:40 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Would Mark Cuban trade Dirk Nowitzki for Dwight Howard? "No knock on Dwight, I just won't trade Dirk," Cuban told @DavidBaumann33.

I hope Wyc thinks along the same lines when it comes to the Captain.
Easy for Cuban to say, since Dirk has a no-trade.

« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2013, 07:06:01 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Let the captain play out his contract and retire a lifetime celtic

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2013, 07:08:38 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Would Mark Cuban trade Dirk Nowitzki for Dwight Howard? "No knock on Dwight, I just won't trade Dirk," Cuban told @DavidBaumann33.

Dirk is probably thinking "trade me!" considering the direction of the Mavs. Unless they can sign Howard in the offseason

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2013, 07:12:05 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
This is just spin Danny put out there so that other players who are more seriously being viewed in trade scenarios won't get upset or think too much about the speculation.

If he says the Captain who's been here his whole career is on the table then the other guys get less upset. They see that in this organization everyone is equal and anyone can be traded if the deal is right.

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2013, 07:16:28 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
This is just spin Danny put out there so that other players who are more seriously being viewed in trade scenarios won't get upset or think too much about the speculation.

If he says the Captain who's been here his whole career is on the table then the other guys get less upset. They see that in this organization everyone is equal and anyone can be traded if the deal is right.

That's a new take on it. I could actually see some teams doing this bc of other sensitive players.

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2013, 07:18:31 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
What team is going to trade the Celtics something of value for Pierce?  Who is a Paul Pierce away from being a contender, THIS year?

How many contenders wouldn't improve their chances with Paul Pierce on the roster? And who's to say the team that gets him won't want him next year? He's still a top sf.

Man the Clippers would be unbeatable with him

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2013, 07:23:57 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I wouldn't read too much into it.

Danny Ainge knows good and well that if he chooses to touch Pierce, KG or Rondo, we're blowing it up plain and simple.

IMO, there is no one out there coming back in ANY scenario that keeps us as contenders if we part with any of those three.

I do believe, however - that the next few weeks are key. The Celtics will have to win the majority of their games and cast off the inconsistencies that have plagued them thus far(with the exception of the last 3 games).

In other words - Don't give Danny any ammunition or reason to do any major trades.

We keep up this win streak, play hard into the All-Star break, and stay healthy, I'm hoping that he'll keep this entire group together.

I think we'll play several key games between now and then:

CHI at home soon.

NY at home on the 24th.

At ATL on the 25th.

MIA and our friend Ray Allen visits on the 27th.

Clips come to BOS on the 3rd of Feb.

Lakers come to BOS on the 7th.

In other words, I'm betting that BOS will need to nearly run the table on all of the higher profile games for Danny to put the phones down.

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2013, 07:26:15 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

Dirk might want a yes trade right now

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2013, 07:28:01 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

That's a new take on it. I could actually see some teams doing this bc of other sensitive players.

EXACTLY

If you put the face of the organization on the block who on the team can complain if their name "also" surfaces as well? It's really just Danny's brilliant spin so that his locker room remains intact.

What it really says to me is that Danny has an itchy trigger finger and i wouldn't be surprised to see a blockbuster this year. Im hopeing for Cousins but then again he's a binky of mine so im unsure how realistic that is. Probably not very, but one can hope.

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2013, 07:30:45 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Unless we want to lose KG as well, don't touch Pierce or Rondo

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2013, 07:34:29 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Excellent news. If Danny can bring back a younger star talent for Pierce, he should do it.

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2013, 07:37:34 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney

EXACTLY

If you put the face of the organization on the block who on the team can complain if their name "also" surfaces as well? It's really just Danny's brilliant spin so that his locker room remains intact.

What it really says to me is that Danny has an itchy trigger finger and i wouldn't be surprised to see a blockbuster this year. Im hopeing for Cousins but then again he's a binky of mine so im unsure how realistic that is. Probably not very, but one can hope.

Don't be ashamed about having Cousins as a binky. I <3 Cousins

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2013, 07:51:35 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Pierce for Rudy Gay?
If Danny could find a way to net Rudy Gay for Pierce, I'd be delighted.

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2013, 08:06:30 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
What team is going to trade the Celtics something of value for Pierce?  Who is a Paul Pierce away from being a contender, THIS year?

How many contenders wouldn't improve their chances with Paul Pierce on the roster? And who's to say the team that gets him won't want him next year? He's still a top sf.

Don't see SA doing it but a trade of Kawhi Leonard, Stephen Jackson, and Matt Bonner for Paul Pierce probably wins them a banner this year.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ab3l6ze

I don't know about that. (about putting San Antonio over the top for a title)

San Antonio doesn't really need that offensive boost. And Kawhi is the superior defender / rebounder to Pierce. Plus they lose quality depth in Jacks and Bonner.

Not sure San Antonio gains enough here ... given the strength of their offense already (Pierce would be taking shots from players who are already very effective shot-takers) + that it doesn't address any of their most pressing needs (like Boston with KG, interior defensive help for Duncan).

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2013, 08:35:31 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Some reasonable trades.  Obviously some are better than others and some would require additional trades, but I think they are all reasonable value for Pierce and would in theory be realistic for the teams involved.

3 Team
Bos - Gay, Bledsoe
LAC - Pierce, Arthur
MEM - Odom, Butler

Bos - Leonard, Blair, Jackson, Bonnar
SAS - Pierce, Wilcox

Bos - Barnes, Jefferson, Ezeli, Tyler, Jenkins
GS - Pierce, Melo

Bos - Granger, T. Hansborough
Ind - Pierce

Bos - Deng, Belinelli
Chi - Pierce

Bos - Sanders, Udrih, Dunleavy (thiw would depend on how much Ainge likes Sanders going forward)
Mil - Pierce, Wilcox
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip