Author Topic: Derek Jeter to retire after season  (Read 5368 times)

Derek Jeter to retire after season
« on: February 12, 2014, 07:04:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/12/us/derek-jeter-retires-2014/

Derek Jeter, who led the Yankees to five World Series titles during his first 19 seasons, announced Wednesday that he will retire at the end of the 2014 major league baseball season.

"I could not be more sure. I know it in my heart. The 2014 season will be my last year playing professional baseball," the Yankees captain and shortstop said in a note posted on his Facebook page.

Jeter, who is 10th on the all-time hits leader list with 3.316 hits, missed most of the 2013 season because of ankle injury.

"I know they say that when you dream you eventually wake up. Well, for some reason, I've never had to wake up. Not just because of my time as a New York Yankee but also because I am living my dream every single day," wrote Jeter, who was a 13-time all-star and the face of America's most famous baseball franchise.

USA Today baseball columnist Bob Nightengale said on Twitter that Jeter was "one of the finest class acts in any sport."

With his boyish good looks and ability to get base hits in clutch situations, Jeter charmed New York and led the Yankees resurgence from a franchise that had struggled in the early 1990s.

He helped the Yankees to a World Series crown as a 22-year-old shortstop.

"In the 21-plus years in which I have served as commissioner, Major League Baseball has had no finer ambassador than Derek Jeter," Bud Selig said in a written statement. "He is one of the most accomplished and memorable players of his -- or any -- era."

Jeter, through his goodbye letter, said he wants to focus on new challenges like business, charitable work and starting a family. And finally having a summer vacation.

The Yankees will begin the regular season on April 1 at Houston

Simply one of the classiest guys in all sports, even if he is a Yankee. Should be an epic farewell when he plays his last game ever at Fenway Park on Sept. 28th.

Mark the calendar for this historic day. The Sox will send him off like the legend he is.

Re: Derek Jeter to retire after season
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 07:41:35 PM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 14
one of the classiest players in any sport. I will never forget the game he had when he got his 3,000 hit. I believe he had 2 homers and went 5 - 5.

It was fun watching Mo make the final rounds last year. This will be fun as well.

and yes.....I am both a Celtics fan and a Yankees fan.

CB

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 07:47:44 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
to be honest, given the egregious erosion of his baseball skills, near total lack of range, bloated salary, and numerous injury problems i hope he keeps playing for the yankees for another 19 years.

the more the yankees suck, the happier i become. ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 07:57:35 PM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
I'll bet Jeter has an outstanding season - I'll also go out on a limb and say Sox fans will show their appreciation for his accomplishments.

A true gentleman - we could use more of them in sports

CB

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 08:16:40 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Absolutely despised the guy early on his career.  Back during the whole Nomar/Jeter/A-Rod debates (boy, did I end up being wrong on Nomar v. Jeter in particular). 

He grew on me after the 2004 ALCS and he & Mariano ended up becoming the two Yankees I really respected from that whole era.

Jeter always terrified me when he was at the plate during all those Sox-Yankees battles of the late 90s and throughout the 2000s.  The guy seemed to always slap on out there safely.  He was an extremely tough out and pretty darn clutch. 

It will certainly be weird knowing he's retired.  Makes me feel old too.  I was a sophomore in high school when he won Rookie of the Year and here we are all these years later and he's nearly 40 & about to retire.  Time flies.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 09:15:44 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
one of the classiest players in any sport. I will never forget the game he had when he got his 3,000 hit. I believe he had 2 homers and went 5 - 5.

It was fun watching Mo make the final rounds last year. This will be fun as well.

CB

There are very few out there but I am a Celtic and Yankee fan too. It will be a sad day when Jeter leaves.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 05:20:46 AM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla

CB

There are very few out there but I am a Celtic and Yankee fan too. It will be a sad day when Jeter leaves.

well then, a TP for you sir  :)

CB

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 06:00:36 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Great player who stayed a year or two longer than he should have...

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 06:20:45 AM »

Offline cometboy

• Joe Mazzulla
Great player who stayed a year or two longer than he should have...

I dunno about that. He was still playing great until that nasty foot injury in the 2012 playoffs. Like Mo before him, he desn't want to end a great career like that. If healthy, I think he will go out on a high note ths year.

CB