Author Topic: Bucks Fire Adrian Griffin  (Read 11735 times)

Re: Bucks Fire Adrian Griffin
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2024, 03:01:59 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I never understood why a team competing for a title would go for a young unproven coach.  Feel bad for Griffin, but that was always a weird hire to me.

The Mazzulla Precedent  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2024, 03:16:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I never understood why a team competing for a title would go for a young unproven coach.  Feel bad for Griffin, but that was always a weird hire to me.

The Mazzulla Precedent  :angel:
Boston wouldn't have hired Joe if they had done a full search.  He was an I term guy that did well enough. Not the same.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2024, 03:16:06 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Wowzers, that was unexpected. Always feels like a drastic move if this has to be done in the middle of the season. Even most of us Joe critics here probably wouldn’t endorse a middle of the season change like that.

Brad says hi. (Though to be fair, that was a much different situation given the Ime suspension timing.)

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2024, 03:17:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
It appears he lost the locker room. Apparently this had building for a couple of weeks and wasn't getting better. Had to cut ties before the season was derailed.

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2024, 03:17:49 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
So is this going to end up being an Udoka type of firing or did they just suddenly decide halfway through his first season to dump him while in 3rd place in the East?

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2024, 03:20:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
So is this going to end up being an Udoka type of firing or did they just suddenly decide halfway through his first season to dump him while in 3rd place in the East?
he lost the locker room (or whatever he had of it). 

Much more like David Blatt in Cleveland.  When the stars of the team have no faith in the coach, the coach has to go

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2024, 03:21:06 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Seems like the latter.

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2024, 03:24:03 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Don’t know a whole lot about him, but Griffin seemed like a stickler who wasn’t able to really connect with his guys.

I think that’s the difference between him and someone like Ime, Pop, or even Joe to a lesser extent - to be that tough and hard-nosed you have to connect with your players and develop that mutual respect.

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2024, 03:24:12 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176

They’re actually in 2nd place and are tied with the second best record in the league overall with a blowout win over us.

Weird firing in that regard but clearly the players don’t like him

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2024, 03:28:58 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
57 win pace, tied for 2nd in the league, has won 5 of last 6, this is weird on all fronts.    If that's having lost the locker room, what's a dialed in Bucks team look like?

If he was a college guy (Pitino, Calipari, Floyd) or international guy (Blatt), I wouldn't be surprised if their was a cultural divide that was causing a clash.  But Griffin being a somewhat recent NBA vet, with 15 years of NBA assistant coaching experience, seems super odd.

So bad coach?  Good coach, bad situation?  Giannis/Dame being divas?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2024, 03:34:41 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Doc to the Bucks makes it that much easier for the Cs to win the East.

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2024, 03:39:55 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
For all the talk of the record and how successful they’ve been, has anyone actually been watching them or compared their record to the teams they’ve beat/their overall strength of schedule?

Depending upon what metric you use, Milwaukee has genuinely played a bottom 3 strength of schedule thus far, and most places have them as the most difficult remaining strength of schedule.

Further, in a good portion of their wins they’re barely beating bad teams by better play in the clutch after being outplayed or matched through most of the game, including close wins against the Cunningham-less Pistons in their last two games.

Their defense is atrocious, and their good offense is only barely able to cover their defensive deficiencies with a 3.8 net rating good for 10th in the league against a very soft schedule thus far. I think there’s real concern in Milwaukee that with a much tougher schedule in the second half of the season that they’re not going to be able to get away with playing like they’ve been playing.

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2024, 03:42:10 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Wow something bad had to happen within the locker room
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2024, 03:47:05 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Always liked AG.  Bring him to the Cs.

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2024, 03:52:40 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Further, in a good portion of their wins they’re barely beating bad teams by better play in the clutch after being outplayed or matched through most of the game, including close wins against the Cunningham-less Pistons in their last two games.

Being a Celtics fan, I thought this was normal.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class