Author Topic: Where we lost this game  (Read 9569 times)

Re: Where we lost this game
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 05:02:28 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I know we are killing this point but

Pierce is gassed at the end of quarters when he gets no breaks.

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 05:05:50 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
gotta find a way to steal pierce some minutes...2 days off should help this team...but i thought they would play better today  ::)

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 05:07:05 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
gotta find a way to steal pierce some minutes...2 days off should help this team...but i thought they would play better today  ::)

Rest is needed, but so is practice.  This is a prime time to get Marbury and Moore court time with the rest of the team and learn defensive rotations.

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 05:20:14 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
At the line.

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 05:29:51 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
watching the suns...i really like barbosa and matt barnes...wish boston had one of them

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 05:41:03 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Was going to start another thread; but many are pointing to the conclusion that I was going to try and get at which is, maybe we did not need another PG. We are back to where we were last season where we were unsuccessful at integrating Sam I am. I don't see it. As Big as Marbury could be, how do you play him without taking away from House. If you play them together they just work the size advantage (like with Rush and Herrmann). We were able to play OK with him in on offense partly because he was an effective decoy. We are not going to see walker as long as we are experimenting with Moore and Marbury, so I don't see where we have an answer to large shooting guards or a backup SF than can help on D against the LeBrons of the league. I really don't want to see Szerbiak lighting us up in the playoffs.

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2009, 05:48:37 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Agree with all...

Also, Hermann would have been almost completely neutralized if Scal was healthy. I'm not even the world's biggest Scal fan, but he would have defended Hermann much better then the overmatched and 7-8 inches shorter Marbury.

im still trying to figure out why doc had steph even try it.

surely walker guarding him for 5-6 minutes while ray rested would have  been better than the 3 guard lineup that leaves a PG on a 6'9 guy.

i mean, i know doc doesn't trust rookies, but that was ridiculously bad coaching, and i fall on the "i like doc and think he's a good coach" side of the fence. you are not going to convince me that bill walker could hurt the team more than throwing a PG who has been out of the league for 13 months and shouldn't be defending a forward in the post anyway did.

not only did it get the pistons a ton of easy looks since the pistons KNEW steph needed the double, it was a completely asinine defensive assignment that had no upside. It looked like my brother, who is 12 and 4'2 feet or so, trying to guard me in the low post at 26 at 5'11.

I'm not a good low post player, but he makes me look like a superstar the same way we made herman into one. bad, bad, decision doc, and a couple more head scracthers today.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 05:58:18 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
No defensive intensity. You can't let a team shoot 49% from the floor and expect to win ball games. Lack of defensive effort led to only 6 forced turnovers. This is where we miss KG.

Ray is usually OWNED by Rip Hamilton. I don't know why, but Rip gives him fits on both ends.

Agree with all the PP comments. 48 minutes can't happen. It's not worth it.

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 06:01:50 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Was going to start another thread; but many are pointing to the conclusion that I was going to try and get at which is, maybe we did not need another PG. We are back to where we were last season where we were unsuccessful at integrating Sam I am. I don't see it. As Big as Marbury could be, how do you play him without taking away from House. If you play them together they just work the size advantage (like with Rush and Herrmann). We were able to play OK with him in on offense partly because he was an effective decoy. We are not going to see walker as long as we are experimenting with Moore and Marbury, so I don't see where we have an answer to large shooting guards or a backup SF than can help on D against the LeBrons of the league. I really don't want to see Szerbiak lighting us up in the playoffs.

2 games my friend! The first one he made a huge difference in that second unit and he will again. You are right that we were lacking bigs in that game, but you are forgetting that KG and Scal are both out. Scal would have been on Herrmann today and he would have had a much tougher time getting his shot off. Rush was just on fire, and Starbury just didn't have his sea legs yet. He was giving it a lot of effort, but I don't put that on him. Moore's effort will pay dividends, but remember once KG and Scal are back he won't see huge amounts of floor time anyway.

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 06:03:15 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Agree with all...

Also, Hermann would have been almost completely neutralized if Scal was healthy. I'm not even the world's biggest Scal fan, but he would have defended Hermann much better then the overmatched and 7-8 inches shorter Marbury.

Im still trying to figure out why doc had Steph even try it.

surely walker guarding him for 5-6 minutes while ray rested would have  been better than the 3 guard lineup that leaves a PG on a 6'9 guy.

i mean, i know doc doesn't trust rookies, but that was ridiculously bad coaching, and i fall on the "i like doc and think he's a good coach" side of the fence. you are not going to convince me that bill walker could hurt the team more than throwing a PG who has been out of the league for 13 months and shouldn't be defending a forward in the post anyway did.

not only did it get the pistons a ton of easy looks since the pistons KNEW steph needed the double, it was a completely asinine defensive assignment that had no upside. It looked like my brother, who is 12 and 4'2 feet or so, trying to guard me in the low post at 26 at 5'11.

I'm not a good low post player, but he makes me look like a superstar the same way we made herman into one. bad, bad, decision doc, and a couple more head scracthers today.

Not only did he have Steph try it he had him do it two games in a row.

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 06:05:22 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Yeah Steph on Hermann was bizarre considering our guards were already giving up inches to their backcourt. I don't know why they'd draft 2 wings and then with TA missing games from 3 different injuries not be able to give Walker a few minutes at SF.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2009, 06:10:47 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i honestly think herrmann getting the minutes like he did surprised doc....just dont know why he didnt adjust

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2009, 06:13:59 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Yeah Steph on Hermann was bizarre considering our guards were already giving up inches to their backcourt. I don't know why they'd draft 2 wings and then with TA missing games from 3 different injuries not be able to give Walker a few minutes at SF.

Maybe they just aren't as good as everyone seems to think they are. Doc sees them in games, warmups, and practices. He has watched them in game time. If he thought that they could do the job better then he would be playing them.

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009, 06:21:36 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Maybe they just aren't as good as everyone seems to think they are. Doc sees them in games, warmups, and practices. He has watched them in game time. If he thought that they could do the job better then he would be playing them.

Or far more likely, doc has never and will never trust rookies unless dire need or lack of bodies forces him to.

There is no rookie, be it big al, rondo, or any of the rest, that doc ever played in meaningful minutes without them "earning there time" buired at the end of the bench for months.

It is one of my few absolutely can't side with doc notions. Rookies can not and do not play for doc rivers until the last possible moment, even if it would be a 4 minute stint.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2009, 06:28:41 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Or far more likely, doc has never and will never trust rookies unless dire need or lack of bodies forces him to.

There is no rookie, be it big al, rondo, or any of the rest, that doc ever played in meaningful minutes without them "earning there time" buired at the end of the bench for months.

It is one of my few absolutely can't side with doc notions. Rookies can not and do not play for doc rivers until the last possible moment, even if it would be a 4 minute stint.

I seem to remember BBD getting huge minutes a month into last season. He got out on the court, put some numbers up, and got minutes.

We are way over rating Big Al's first year as well guys. He showed nice flashes on the offensive end, but he also was horrible defensively. He didn't rebound the ball that well. He got in foul trouble all the time.

Big Al is now a stud and will be an All-Star for years, but he was a fat and out of shape kid that first year and didn't earn minutes. Doc makes guys earn their minutes. Nothing I have seen out of Giddens or Walker show me guys that can produce better than the vets in front of them. They should be sitting.