Author Topic: Celtics Draft Pick Watch  (Read 8835 times)

Celtics Draft Pick Watch
« on: March 24, 2023, 08:34:04 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
As the season winds down, what we are going to have for draft picks this season is changing, almost every night.

Outgoing

2023 1st (#29):  This will go to IND
2023 2nd (#59):  This will go to SAN (Realgm references some "unspecified protections" but am assuming this pick will convey)

Incoming

The easy one is that we get POR 2nd round pick.  Right now that is #37, could improve to #36 but probably won't get any better than that.

The more complicated one is the HOU/DAL/MIA pick.  We get the HOU 2nd round pick if it falls outside of 31-32.  Right now it is 32 so we would NOT get it.  HOU is only 1 game behind SAN, so this pick is still very much in play.  If we don't get the HOU pick, we get the LESS favorable of the DAL and MIA picks.  Right now, that is the MIA pick at #52.  MIA has a 3.5 game lead over DAL most likely, the MIA pick will remain the less favorable.

Bottom line right now, we would get

Pick #37 (from POR)
Pick #52 (from MIA)

Best case possibility (not all that improbable)

Pick #33 (from HOU)
Pick #36 (from POR, with POR falling behind WAS)

(Note:  Tankathon site has the Celtics only getting pick #37 and shows the MIA pick going to OKC.  As best I can tell, this is not correct, but if there is more to this than I am seeing, someone can clarify this)

Re: Celtics Draft Pick Watch
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 08:44:35 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
(Note:  Tankathon site has the Celtics only getting pick #37 and shows the MIA pick going to OKC.  As best I can tell, this is not correct, but if there is more to this than I am seeing, someone can clarify this)

Didn't we send the lesser of our picks to OKC in the Muscula trade?

So, we keep the better of HOU/POR if HOU conveys.

We keep the better of POR / MIA if HOU doesn't convey.

We'll only have on second rounder, max.  I think.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 09:11:00 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

That sounds like what I was missing.  So the MIA pick goes to OKC, just has Tankathon has it.  RealGM only says an "unspecified 2023 2nd round pick" goes to OKC, so I was not catching this.  How you describe it makes sense.

The HOU pick is still very much in play.  Not a huge difference between #32 and say #36 or #37 but something.  Probably we end up with the same player in either case.  We don't really need two second round picks.  Happy to have Muscala.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 09:12:48 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

This is correct.  We either get pick 33 from Houston, which is unlikely but not impossible as Houston is only a game away from San Antonio for that position, in which case the Portland pick goes to OKC, or if Houston finishes at 32, we instead send away the lesser of Dallas or Miami (very likely Miami at this point) to OKC and keep the Portland pick, which is currently 36th and almost certain to finish between 35th and 38th.

Some sites also report us as having our own second, but this is an error.  That was sent to Charlotte for the Hayward TPE.  Charlotte subsequently split part of it off to Washington, and in figuring out the split, some sites have gotten confused and re-assigned that pick to us.  But that is an error.

Anyway, we have one second, which will fall somewhere between pick 33 and 38.  Notably, we got this pick and the one traded for Muscala for the 30th pick in 2020, i.e. the Desmond Bane pick, so hopefully we get this year’s Bane.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 09:43:25 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Notably, we got this pick and the one traded for Muscala for the 30th pick in 2020, i.e. the Desmond Bane pick, so hopefully we get this year’s Bane.

Dang, don't tell Liam that we traded Bane for (the vastly underutilized) Muscula.  We may need to do a safety check.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 09:47:13 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

This is correct.  We either get pick 33 from Houston, which is unlikely but not impossible as Houston is only a game away from San Antonio for that position, in which case the Portland pick goes to OKC, or if Houston finishes at 32, we instead send away the lesser of Dallas or Miami (very likely Miami at this point) to OKC and keep the Portland pick, which is currently 36th and almost certain to finish between 35th and 38th.

Some sites also report us as having our own second, but this is an error.  That was sent to Charlotte for the Hayward TPE.  Charlotte subsequently split part of it off to Washington, and in figuring out the split, some sites have gotten confused and re-assigned that pick to us.  But that is an error.

Anyway, we have one second, which will fall somewhere between pick 33 and 38.  Notably, we got this pick and the one traded for Muscala for the 30th pick in 2020, i.e. the Desmond Bane pick, so hopefully we get this year’s Bane.

I did not make that connection with the Bane pick/trade.  Desmond Bane has far exceeded all realistic expectations for a 30th pick so unless we get another absolute steal with this 2023 2nd (33-38 range), we are not going to end up better than if we had taken Bane, but ending up with Muscala and maybe a decent player in exchange for what you typically get with a #30 pick is not all that bad.

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023, 12:43:45 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

I did not make that connection with the Bane pick/trade.  Desmond Bane has far exceeded all realistic expectations for a 30th pick so unless we get another absolute steal with this 2023 2nd (33-38 range), we are not going to end up better than if we had taken Bane, but ending up with Muscala and maybe a decent player in exchange for what you typically get with a #30 pick is not all that bad.

BBBAAANNNNEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2023, 02:01:36 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
POR lost and WAS won so we now are positioned for pick#36.

HOU lost and is still one game behind SAN.

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2023, 02:18:43 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

Houston’s loss 5-point loss to Memphis on Wednesday hurt.  It was Ja’s return game and was winnable. 
But 36 v. 33 not a big difference.

I say let Liam make the pick.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2023, 04:34:19 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

Houston’s loss 5-point loss to Memphis on Wednesday hurt.  It was Ja’s return game and was winnable. 
But 36 v. 33 not a big difference.

I say let Liam make the pick.

I haven't scouted as much this year as I have in past years but I'm interested in these four players right now. I hope we can get even a deep bench guy out of the draft this year.

Grant Nelson

Dereck Lively

Nikola Durišić

Filipowski ( I'll be surprised if he's still around when we pick.) so as an alternate I'm throwing out Drew Peterson as a late second.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 05:26:13 PM by liam »

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2023, 05:32:11 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
As the season winds down, what we are going to have for draft picks this season is changing, almost every night.

Outgoing

2023 1st (#29):  This will go to IND
2023 2nd (#59):  This will go to SAN (Realgm references some "unspecified protections" but am assuming this pick will convey)

Incoming

The easy one is that we get POR 2nd round pick.  Right now that is #37, could improve to #36 but probably won't get any better than that.

The more complicated one is the HOU/DAL/MIA pick.  We get the HOU 2nd round pick if it falls outside of 31-32.  Right now it is 32 so we would NOT get it.  HOU is only 1 game behind SAN, so this pick is still very much in play.  If we don't get the HOU pick, we get the LESS favorable of the DAL and MIA picks.  Right now, that is the MIA pick at #52.  MIA has a 3.5 game lead over DAL most likely, the MIA pick will remain the less favorable.

Bottom line right now, we would get

Pick #37 (from POR)
Pick #52 (from MIA)

Best case possibility (not all that improbable)

Pick #33 (from HOU)
Pick #36 (from POR, with POR falling behind WAS)

Ah, now we know why they tanked that Houston game. ;)

Mike

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2023, 10:38:45 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

POR and IND are now tied but POR must have the tie-breaker as they still are listed as having pick #36.  POR, IND, and WAS are within 0.5 games so will continue to jockey for picks #36-#38, with whatever one POR gets likely coming to BOS (unless we get the HOU pick). 

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2023, 03:30:59 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
With Portland in the top 5 maybe they will win the lottery and we get the #31 pick.  ;)

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2023, 03:44:37 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

POR and IND are now tied but POR must have the tie-breaker as they still are listed as having pick #36.  POR, IND, and WAS are within 0.5 games so will continue to jockey for picks #36-#38, with whatever one POR gets likely coming to BOS (unless we get the HOU pick).

The tiebreakers for draft picks are coin flips, and not based on record.

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2023, 10:41:47 AM »

Offline TheTruth34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10

BBBAAANNNNEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

We still could have drafted him at 26 that year.  But Ainge fell in love with Pritchard.