Author Topic: The narrative is back: Boston is racist  (Read 14591 times)

Re: The narrative is back: Boston is racist
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2023, 03:39:41 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Maybe he was talking about these?

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2023, 03:45:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm often on the side of no racist intent with these things.

When Meyers Leonard said his Jewish slur, I could buy he didn't know what it meant.

But if that slur was being thrown around in his game chat, and then Leonard said Adam Silver is that slur.  I'd find it very hard to believe he didn't know what it meant. 

And if he followed it up with he didn't mean Adam Silver, he meant Steven Adams, I wouldn't believe that at all.

You're telling me this guy just accidentally said one of the very few mainstream names of people who would seem to fit this slur, and I'm supposed to believe that he just misspoke?

The most believable excuse to me would be he didn't realize it was an offensive term for Asians, but thought it was more a slang/colloquial term.  Like referring to a Northerner as a yankee, a British person as a brit, or a Canadian a canuck.  Before this, I had no idea this was a slur, but I find it improbable that this dude didn't know it referred to Asians.  If he owned it, but plead ignorance, I would have probably believed him, but this just seems like a poorly thought out excuse.

And the excuse doesn't really make sense.  If you're going the sexist route, it would make sense to throw out the name of an adult film star or an actress who has some famous topless scenes or a nip slip.  Makes no sense to throw out the name of an actress who I don't think has appeared nude (and I don't think a body double used in a picture in Forgetting Sarah Marshall counts). 

So what's more believable, he associated the word with Asians, or he used the word in a way most red blooded men wouldn't?

It's hard to really discuss this without the rules on sexual innuendo, but:

1.  I can accept that somebody can get the names of Mila Kunis and Mina Kimes mixed up. Mi_a K___s.; and

2.  If a man trying to make a joke up on the spot was going to name the "best nips", I'm not sure that he'd go through his entire mental catalog and pick somebody with well-known nipples.  He'd probably just pick the celebrity he thought was the hottest and hope for the best.  I mean, if somebody is answering this question in a sexist way, it's probably as reasonable to say "Anna Kendrick" (go Maine!) as Phoebe Cates.

Now, the debate:  did I subconsciously pick Phoebe Cates because she's of Chinese-Filipino descent on her mother's side (I just looked that up in Wiki), or because she was in an iconic topless scene that is allegedly the most paused moment in the history of VHS?

#1, I could buy that as a stand alone situation.

But #2, maybe it's just my perverted mind,  but to me, nips is just so specific.  You go to your crudest locker room, and you're talking about "top nips" I'm not thinking hottest celebrities, or best (clothed) bodies, or people I want to sleep with, I'm thinking about actual nipples.  That's why it seems like such a stretch to say Mila Kunis.  And it's not like he was put on the spot to name someone, he injected himself in the conversation to say that.  To interject yourself to say Mila Kunis would be a head scratcher to me, because she doesn't fit.

If he said Phoebe Cates (or said the girl from Fast Times), I wouldn't bat an eye, and would assume no racist intent.

There's 2 scenarios, one seems like way more of a stretch than the other to me.

Scenario 1: purposely named an Asian woman, when a homonym for an old, mostly forgotten racial slur that referred to Asians was brought up.  Then made up the first excuse he could think of to cover himself.

Scenario 2: mistakenly named an Asian woman, when making a joke about nipples, when the person he meant to name wouldn't fit the joke, when the key word to the joke is also an old, mostly forgotten slur for Asians.  Then told the truth to explain himself.

First one seems like less of a stretch to me, but maybe that's just from my personal experiences with nips and liars.

Always thought Sharon Stone was the most paused scene.

So the key clue is whether Mina Kunis is an acceptable blurted answer to best nipples?

Should Kunis be offended that people are arguing that she’s not an acceptable answer? 

I confess, while I certainly appreciate the female form, I couldn’t give more than a generic answer to that specific question.  Of course, I also wouldn’t be making sophomoric comments about nipples on radio, so who knows?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2023, 03:47:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Maybe he was talking about these?

A 4th meaning!  The mystery deepens.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2023, 03:49:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Also, Boston is considering banning nips:

https://www.wbur.org/news/2023/03/22/boston-city-council-nip-ban-lexington-fur-ban-national-grid-electric-bill-rate-newsletter

I’m assuming that’s what started the conversation. 

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2023, 03:53:15 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

https://www.wbur.org/news/2023/03/22/boston-city-council-nip-ban-lexington-fur-ban-national-grid-electric-bill-rate-newsletter

The town over from where I grew in MA had a liquor store called "The House of 1,000 Nips".

It wasn't until I moved to Chicago when I realized that everyone else seemed to call them "airplane bottles"

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2023, 04:13:55 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

It was absolutely a discussion about small bottles of liquor or "nips" being banned:

During a segment on WEEI's "The Greg Hill Show" co-hosts Greg Hill, Jermaine Wiggins and Courtney Cox were discussing their "top five nips" as the Boston City Council prepares to discuss a possible ban on "nips." These are small liquor bottles.

The group were giving examples when producer Chris Curtis interjected: "I'd probably go Mina Kimes."

Chris Curtis then jumped in with his controversial statement implying Mina Kimes was his favorite "nip".  I don't see how you can put lipstick on this in any way.  The statement seems both sexually and racially tinged, both, not one or the other.  It is clearly not something that should be said on the mainstream radio.

« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2023, 04:15:34 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

My past college life family man is definitely down for this. In college we would buy those nips and put it in soda bottle for sporting events. Now, I have some alcoholic dudes that will buy those nips and just throw it in my yard that is super annoying. I am definitely okay with getting rid of it since they are hard to find.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2023, 05:38:37 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
How do you pronounce Kimes? With a hard "eye" sound or soft like "ick"?

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2023, 06:14:59 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
How do you pronounce Kimes? With a hard "eye" sound or soft like "ick"?

Kaɪmes
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2023, 07:00:01 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
What were the immediate responses from the hosts of the show?
Did there seem to be awareness in the moment that Curtis had crossed a line?  Did they laugh?

Sorry if this was discussed earlier - I missed it if it was.

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2023, 07:27:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
What were the immediate responses from the hosts of the show?
Did there seem to be awareness in the moment that Curtis had crossed a line?  Did they laugh?

Sorry if this was discussed earlier - I missed it if it was.

The short video I saw the two other hosts continued their discussion, basically completely ignoring him.

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2023, 10:26:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I ve never spoken with a person who used Nips in a conversation.  But I have heard it used in many WWII documentaries like on history channel .  Not by the people telling the narrative of the film , but as reporters were filmed live interviewing solders in the Pacific theater .  But , some very very old government info movies about battles , and tactics use strong slurs of enemy countries.

I thought Nip was short slang for Nipponese person .  Never thought too much about it one way or the other . Only time I heard it used is on TV history replay of 75 year war old reporting .  Maybe Archie Bunker ?

« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2023, 12:49:22 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I ve never spoken with a person who used Nips in a conversation.  But I have heard it used in many WWII documentaries like on history channel .  Not by the people telling the narrative of the film , but as reporters were filmed live interviewing solders in the Pacific theater .  But , some very very old government info movies about battles , and tactics use strong slurs of enemy countries.

I thought Nip was short slang for Nipponese person .  Never thought too much about it one way or the other . Only time I heard it used is on TV history replay of 75 year war old reporting .  Maybe Archie Bunker ?

The only time ive ever heard Nips used was in reference to those teeny tiny liquor bottles they sell al the Packy, known as Nips in the mean streets of Massachusetts!