Author Topic: Best Year's Starting 5  (Read 2035 times)

Best Year's Starting 5
« on: February 01, 2023, 10:18:52 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Hoopshype had a question up which I thought was interesting. They had 5 years from the sports history and created a starting 5 from that season and asked simply which was the best?

These are the 5 years and teams

1962 - Oscar, West, Baylor, Pettit, Wilt
1988 - Magic, Michael, Larry, Barkley, Hakeem
1998 - Payton, Michael, Malone, Duncan, Shaq
2003 - Kobe, McGrady, Garnett, Duncan Shaq
2013 - Paul, Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Duncan

Obviously they fudged a bit on positions, so I'd probably modify it to be more in line with actual positions, though I'm not sure there are a better two than 62 or 88

I feel like they should a team with Kareem and would like to see Bill as well (though it is hard to pick Bill over Wilt).

So what year would you pick of those and what is the best year that isn't depicted there. 

I think the best Kareem year may be 1973 (not his best year, though close, but just in general)

1973 - Tiny, Maravich (or West), Hondo, Haywood (or Hayes), Kareem

Team isn't as good as 62 or 88, but could certainly give most of the other years fits.

I also don't think that is the best Lebron team.  I'd probably take a slightly earlier one when I could have Dwight at center, Duncan or Dirk at PF, Lebron, Kobe, and Nash or Paul.  Perhaps 2010.  That seems like a more complete and better balanced team than the one with Durant in 2013. 

I think if you want Durant, then you should do a team with Curry and Giannis and just go modern.  Maybe 2019 - Curry, Harden, Durant, Giannis, Jokic.  They'd be so hard to guard especially for the older teams not used to the 3 point line.  Still not sure they'd be 62 or 88, but they may have the best chance given the offensive firepower.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Best Year's Starting 5
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 10:51:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
‘88.

Their second five was pretty impressive, too.  Stockton / Drexler / Wilkens / Malone / Ewing.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 10:59:02 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 01:32:44 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Not sure how Russell doesn't get heavy consideration for '62 - he was at his best that year while Wilt only really came into his own in '67 when he learnt how to balance his scoring with passing. Wilt was still playing at an incredible level in the early 60s, but it befuddles me that Russell is deemed as a clearly worse player during that time period.

Also not sure why Maravich would make the '73 team when he's one of the most egregious cases of an empty stat player (the best player on those Hawks teams was the oft-underrated Lou Hudson, who was a prototype of the modern off-ball wing ala Miller/Ray). Hayes and Haywood were certainly very good players, but I'd pick the MVP level player who was the heart of one of the best teams in that decade to play next to Kareem (he's paradoxically a better fit next to post scorers than Hayes or Haywood - his passing, shooting and ballhandling allow him to play a baby KG role).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 06:28:10 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Not sure how Russell doesn't get heavy consideration for '62 - he was at his best that year while Wilt only really came into his own in '67 when he learnt how to balance his scoring with passing. Wilt was still playing at an incredible level in the early 60s, but it befuddles me that Russell is deemed as a clearly worse player during that time period.

Also not sure why Maravich would make the '73 team when he's one of the most egregious cases of an empty stat player (the best player on those Hawks teams was the oft-underrated Lou Hudson, who was a prototype of the modern off-ball wing ala Miller/Ray). Hayes and Haywood were certainly very good players, but I'd pick the MVP level player who was the heart of one of the best teams in that decade to play next to Kareem (he's paradoxically a better fit next to post scorers than Hayes or Haywood - his passing, shooting and ballhandling allow him to play a baby KG role).
I think Hoopshype used the All-NBA 1st team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 07:04:31 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
That 1988 team be hard to beat
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 08:25:43 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

I think Hoopshype used the All-NBA 1st team.
I mostly used them on the years I did, though occasionally used a 2nd team member
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 08:34:27 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'm going to turn the question around: Which one is the weakest team?

My answer is 2003 - Kobe, McGrady, Garnett, Duncan Shaq
None of those players are in the top-5 all-time. They are all behind Russell, Wilt, Michael, Larry, Magic and even LeBron

By that criteria, I would say the 2nd weakest team is 1962 - Oscar, West, Baylor, Pettit, Wilt

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 08:53:49 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Give me '88 and twice on Sundays.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 09:06:04 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

None of those players are in the top-5 all-time. They are all behind Russell, Wilt, Michael, Larry, Magic and even LeBron

It's also a team that would lack traditional roles.  Kobe or McGrady at PG and KG at SF are problematic.

Same thing with 1998.  I love Karl Malone, but not at SF.  I don't know how he, Duncan and Shaq all share space.

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 09:42:17 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I take that 1988 (assuming the 1987-88 season) team but I would take Karl Malone over Barkley.  It is close on box score stats but I feel Malone was a better defender overall than Barkley.

I made the distinction on the season as Bird only played 6 games in the 1988-89 season so it could make a difference depending on how you are looking at this.

But give me:

Magic
Jordan
Bird
Malone
Olajuwon

As to the 1962 team, it is a little before even my time, but I would put in Bill Russell as the power forward on that team.  I know that back in the day, he was a center but he was good enough that he would have adjusted his game and dominated as a PF as well.  Wilt averaged 50 pts.  Baylor 34 pts (or 38 pts depending on which 1962 season is being referenced).  There is plenty of scoring.  I put Russell on that team for sure over Pettit (although Pettit is absolutely deserving over just about anyone but Bill Russell). 

Oscar
West
Baylor
Russell
Wilt

The stats back in the '60s are hard to compare.  Russell and Wilt averaging over 20 rebs/game.  Wilt in the 50 pts/game range.  Several players over 30 pts/gm.  Only 9 teams.  Things were so different.  But I think the 1988 team beats that 1962 team.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2023, 09:48:14 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'm not sure anyone is beating that 88 team. 
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 09:49:49 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
2013 is the worst team. Both Duncan and Kobe well past their best. They cannot compete with the other squads.

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2023, 09:55:13 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

It's also a team that would lack traditional roles.  Kobe or McGrady at PG and KG at SF are problematic.

Same thing with 1998.  I love Karl Malone, but not at SF.  I don't know how he, Duncan and Shaq all share space.

Timmy would be the SF. He played a fair bit at SF that year next to David Robinson and Will Perdue. The Triple-Towers alignment.

I remember Timmy defending Mark Jackson at PG when they played in Indiana that year. Indy short-handed without Reggie or Smits. So they put Duncan on Jackson to stymie their offense. Indy only scored something like 56 points that night.

Duncan would struggle with strong outside shooters but he could defend most others. Stay a foot or so back and use his length. If he got beat, direct the driver into the two seven footers behind him. This time K Malone & Shaq.

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2023, 09:57:15 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I am the opposite. I love the 2003 team.

Shaq, Duncan and KG would be a nightmare to play against. So much size in the past. So much length and activity on defense. They were phenomenal alongside one another in All-Star games.

Kobe and McGrady is a bit tough at guard. Neither a real PG. Both guys are scorers. The defensive & rebounding edge they could provide next to the three 7 footers though would be immense. Particularly in the hand-checking era.

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2023, 10:04:26 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I love the 1962 team.

Oscar and West in the backcourt is immense. Wilt controlling the paint. Pettit and Baylor two highly skilled forwards. That was somewhere around the end of Baylor's peak when he suffered a knee injury. He was awesome before that. Pettit one of the top 5 PFs of all time. Oscar and West both probable top 5 guards of All Time. Wilt a candidate for a top player of All-Time. Baylor at that juncture in his career was also in the mix as best player of All-Time. A phenomenal all-round forward who could do everything.