Author Topic: Truth Serum Ballmer  (Read 2212 times)

Truth Serum Ballmer
« on: January 14, 2023, 04:20:01 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
If you could make Steve Ballmer completely complicit, I honestly believe he would admit, he should have moved the Clippers to Seattle after purchasing it from Donald Sterling.

The Clippers franchise is cursed and continues an underperforming legacy left by Sterling.

I understand the L.A market is more lucrative than Seattle, but it’s more about relevancy. If tomorrow, the NBA expanded and allowed a second Boston franchise, do you think anyone would care about that team?

Ballmer being from Seattle, just for getting the team back, the city would build him a statue. I’m sure he can build a statue of himself in his new Clippers area, it won’t have any meaning.

Let’s not forget, Ballmer was part of a group that attempted to save the Sonics by developing a new stadium. When that failed, he tried to purchase the Sacramento Kings and move them to Seattle.

Even the fact that Ballmer kept the Clippers name, leaves a sour taste in my mouth. When you think ‘Clippers’ you think an illegally moved franchise from San Diego, with a meaningless name, and terrible logo. Clippers evokes memories of racism, cheapness and misery.

Who knows, if Ballmer had brought back the Sonics to Seattle... would Durant have returned instead of signing for Golden State? Think of all the great players and coaches from that region that would want to be part of the Sonics.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 08:25:02 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Truth Serum Ballmer
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 09:41:21 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Agree. Spend all the money you want. The clippers will never catch the lakers.
Better to move to a new spot and have a new fan base there

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 10:17:45 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Clippers are 6th in the NBA, both in valuation and revenue. They have a new arena set to open in 2025. I think Ballmer is doing okay.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 10:30:33 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The Clippers are 6th in the NBA, both in valuation and revenue. They have a new arena set to open in 2025. I think Ballmer is doing okay.

Yeah, Seattle might have more of a regional dedicated fan base that gives the team 'relevancy', but I would have to guess that making lots and lots of money is even more fun.

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 08:35:41 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
He wants to be the king of LA. He never will be but he’ll make more money there trying to do so.

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 08:44:12 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yup.  Intuit Dome is going to make the franchise a boatload of money too.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023, 07:59:28 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
I still stand by this OP.

I completely understand the point about revenue, but Steve Ballmer has a net worth of roughly 90 Billion dollars. People with that level of wealth do not care about money when they buy a sports franchise, they care about success and legacy.

Neither have been achieved in the near decade Ballmer has owned the Clippers.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 08:15:05 PM by Ed Monix »

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2023, 09:22:59 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
When I saw the title for this topic, I thought the question would be if Ballmer would go back in time and never sign Kawhi and trade for Paul George. They are two of the most unreliable star players in all of sports.

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2023, 10:03:00 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
They'd look so much different because they wouldn't have George and Leonard.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2023, 10:39:24 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

I know, the Clippers would have star players that would actually play.

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2023, 11:13:53 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I know, the Clippers would have star players that would actually play.
Would they?  I mean they'd probably still have SGA (players usually don't leave after their rookie contract), but he hasn't exactly been a picture of health.  Tre Mann and Jalen Williams were drafted with the 2 picks that have transferred already. Mann is bleh. Williams had a solid rookie year, but doesn't look special. 

Not really sure what the Clippers would look like, but outside of SGA, I'm not sure they'd have any players that anyone would care about in the scheme of things.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2023, 06:15:13 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
What’s crazy to think about is for the 2018 draft, in which the Clippers selected SGA, they had a second first round pick, which should have been Michael Porter Jr.

Obviously the Clippers were scared away by MPJ’s medical results, but for a rebuilding team with two lottery picks, they should have taken the risk.

What’s so ironic about the MPJ selection is that in the four years Kawhi has been with the Clippers, he’s only played 161 regular season games (40.25 per season), where as MPJ has managed to play 187 (46.75 per season).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 11:49:52 PM by Ed Monix »

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2023, 07:14:41 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Tre Mann and Jalen Williams were drafted with the 2 picks that have transferred already. Mann is bleh. Williams had a solid rookie year, but doesn't look special. 

Jalen Williams had some pretty impressive numbers after the All-Star break. He was averaging 18.6ppg 5.4rpg 4.6apg on 64% TS%. He was shooting 55% FG% 43% 3PT% (low volume) 88% FT% (low to middling volume). 

I haven't seen much of him but I have been reading a lot of glowing reports on how he played after the All-Star break. Some folks think he could end up pretty special.

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2023, 07:25:02 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
The Clippers' fault is that they made a push for Kawhi and he hasn't been healthy in 4 years. PG13 has also been bit by the injury bug. If you have the chance to take a run at these guys, you do it 10/10 times.

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2023, 09:08:44 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I wonder if the NBA expands and Seattle gets a team back Ballmer would finagle his way to that team and let someone else have the Clippers.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008