Author Topic: JD's First NBA Basket  (Read 1265 times)

JD's First NBA Basket
« on: November 26, 2022, 02:07:37 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Worth a notice, I think. It's good to see him get some burn in the Big Show.

I think that he's got an NBA future and was a great value pick at 53. Whether or not he's got a future in Boston is another story - I doubt it, since he's playing behind three big ballhandlers plus Pritchard. Since all four of them are now rotation players, there is not a lot of space for him to get any more than spot minutes, even with Mazzulla running a lot of two-ballhandler lineups.

Still, there's a lot to like.

He's got a great NBA body and excellent fine motor skills. Long torso, great extension, good laterals and footwork. Has a nice finishing burst and emerging change-of-pace dribbling moves. His stroke is beautiful, and he's got smooth movement through his spine as he launches, so there's hope for his shooting.

The difference in his left hand since the end of his college career is big - moreover, it's a good indicator that he's got a work ethic.

'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

Re: JD's First NBA Basket
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 02:28:20 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

I think that he's got an NBA future and was a great value pick at 53. Whether or not he's got a future in Boston is another story - I doubt it, since he's playing behind three big ballhandlers plus Pritchard. Since all four of them are now rotation players, there is not a lot of space for him to get any more than spot minutes, even with Mazzulla running a lot of two-ballhandler lineups.

He's got a great NBA body and excellent fine motor skills. Long torso, great extension, good laterals and footwork. Has a nice finishing burst and emerging change-of-pace dribbling moves. His stroke is beautiful, and he's got smooth movement through his spine as he launches, so there's hope for his shooting.

The difference in his left hand since the end of his college career is big - moreover, it's a good indicator that he's got a work ethic.

I agree. He has to work on the TOs and shooting. He's an NBA athlete and he has a nice feel for the game.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 03:39:22 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Big Davison fan. I'm hoping we lock him into a 4 year contract next season and give him time to develop behind our guards.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 04:33:34 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I liked his body control on his fourth quarter bucket.  He’s a good athlete.

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 05:52:50 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

I agree. He has to work on the TOs and shooting. He's an NBA athlete and he has a nice feel for the game.

For what it’s worth, he’s currently shooting .400 from the arc in the G-League, and his eFG% is a stellar .622 - though his TOV% is a nightmarish 24.4, as I think you’re pointing to.

I agree about his feel, has a lot of lobs out of the p&r in his future.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 07:22:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Big Davison fan. I'm hoping we lock him into a 4 year contract next season and give him time to develop behind our guards.

Yeah, this would be an interesting dilemma:  do we use the MLE, or lock JD up?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2022, 07:35:29 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I'd imagine a similar contract to Hauser, but ideally a 4 year one like Naz Reid

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2022, 07:40:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I might get stoned for saying this .  But I believe JD will be better than Rozier , he is more coach able player , loves setting up teammates, pass first ,  better court IQ than Rozier .  True point guard ….what I like.

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2022, 11:51:41 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

Another way to frame this question, largely, is: short-term vs. long-term.

Giving Davison a multi-year deal is betting on his future, and not just on his future development; at the moment he has no prospect of even getting into the rotation.

It's not just a question of his future - clearly he's got promise. It's also a question of his future with Boston, which looks a lot less rosy; and it's not only a question of what Boston wants (though he doesn't have a lot of leverage at this point, the more he shows the more other teams will take notice).

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2022, 11:56:17 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

The taxpayer MLE is a max of three years, so unless we have some major changes (e.g. both Al and Grant leave), the most we’ll be able to offer is three years, with or without using the TPE.

I expect he gets a deal similar to Hauser, using non-Bird rights, and likely only with 1 year (at most) guaranteed.