Author Topic: 2022-23 College Football Thread  (Read 40263 times)

Re: 2022-23 College Football Thread
« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2022, 08:28:36 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
6 top 25 matchups today highlighted by Penn State at Michigan and Alabama at Tennessee.

Also #8 Oklahoma State vs. #13 TCU which will be a huge Big 12 battle.

I got Tennessee pulling off the upset today against Alabama. That game should be very exciting

CALLED IT! DOWN GOES BAMA!

Watched this game from the start.  May be one of the best college games I've ever seen.  Incredible plays from both sides.  Go Vols!

Definitely, that was easily game of the year. Very gutsy win by Tennessee too. Even after that devastating turnover to fall behind 49-42, they scored the next 10 and got a big stop when they needed to. Hooker made some awesome throws late to set up the FG.

Btw, with just 15 secs left TEN drove down the field about 40 yards to set up the field goal. Remind anyone of a certain AFC NFL Playoff game last year in the divisional round which went to OT?  :P

That was a crazy kick to win the game.  Knuckelball all the way.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #166 on: October 15, 2022, 08:31:26 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
6 top 25 matchups today highlighted by Penn State at Michigan and Alabama at Tennessee.

Also #8 Oklahoma State vs. #13 TCU which will be a huge Big 12 battle.

I got Tennessee pulling off the upset today against Alabama. That game should be very exciting

CALLED IT! DOWN GOES BAMA!

Watched this game from the start.  May be one of the best college games I've ever seen.  Incredible plays from both sides.  Go Vols!

Definitely, that was easily game of the year. Very gutsy win by Tennessee too. Even after that devastating turnover to fall behind 49-42, they scored the next 10 and got a big stop when they needed to. Hooker made some awesome throws late to set up the FG.

Btw, with just 15 secs left TEN drove down the field about 40 yards to set up the field goal. Remind anyone of a certain AFC NFL Playoff game last year in the divisional round which went to OT?  :P

That was a crazy kick to win the game.  Knuckelball all the way.

My first reaction was, "oh did that get tipped", then "is that even enough to reach the goalposts?" lol. That was wild, a knuckleball that just floated all the way past the crossbar.

Between that and that amazing sunset shot (all orange), felt like god wanted the Vols to win  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2022, 10:01:39 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Great day of football.  Glad Bama finally went down with how poorly they had been playing it was only a matter of time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #168 on: October 16, 2022, 01:59:48 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Utah took down USC so 4 major conference unbeatens fell yesterday: Alabama, USC, Okie St., and Penn St.

So playoff picture is really shaping up with Ohio State, Georgia, Tennessee, and then that 4th spot where Michigan, Clemson, and TCU are in the mix (Ole Miss and UCLA are still unbeaten also).

The real interesting scenario would be unbeaten Georgia beating Tennessee (who ends with just the 1 loss) and then losing to 1 loss Alabama in the SEC title game,  which would leave the SEC with 3 1 loss teams.

« Reply #169 on: October 16, 2022, 02:42:53 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Utah took down USC so 4 major conference unbeatens fell yesterday: Alabama, USC, Okie St., and Penn St.

So playoff picture is really shaping up with Ohio State, Georgia, Tennessee, and then that 4th spot where Michigan, Clemson, and TCU are in the mix (Ole Miss and UCLA are still unbeaten also).

The real interesting scenario would be unbeaten Georgia beating Tennessee (who ends with just the 1 loss) and then losing to 1 loss Alabama in the SEC title game,  which would leave the SEC with 3 1 loss teams.

My USC fan friend/co-worker is sad lol but that was a thrilling game late last night.

I actually agree with the rankings they put out an hour ago for the most part. Some things will get sorted out anyways later in the season since a lot of the current Top-10 teams will play each other at some point (Ohio State-Michigan, Tennessee-Georgia, etc.)

It'd be unfair to drop Ohio State when they didn't even play yesterday. So Tennessee at #3 is fine, and Alabama at #6 is also fair given it was a tough road team and they only lost by 3.

Alabama does have a huge game left against Ole Miss in a few weeks (on the road) which I think will determine the SEC West winner and who plays the winner of UGA-TEN in the SEC Champ. Game

If I had to guess, I think in some order it'll be Georgia, Tennessee, Ohio State, and Michigan barring any unexpected upsets. Even though Georgia-Tennessee and Ohio State-Michigan play each other, if the losers of those games finish the season with only that loss I think the committee will let it fly. I'm also not sure Clemson has a legit case given their schedule not being as tough as the other teams. Their defense is legit but I honestly am not as high on their QB and they've also had a few very close games, including last night to Florida State.

« Reply #170 on: October 16, 2022, 04:27:57 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

My USC fan friend/co-worker is sad lol but that was a thrilling game late last night.

I actually agree with the rankings they put out an hour ago for the most part. Some things will get sorted out anyways later in the season since a lot of the current Top-10 teams will play each other at some point (Ohio State-Michigan, Tennessee-Georgia, etc.)

It'd be unfair to drop Ohio State when they didn't even play yesterday. So Tennessee at #3 is fine, and Alabama at #6 is also fair given it was a tough road team and they only lost by 3.

Alabama does have a huge game left against Ole Miss in a few weeks (on the road) which I think will determine the SEC West winner and who plays the winner of UGA-TEN in the SEC Champ. Game

If I had to guess, I think in some order it'll be Georgia, Tennessee, Ohio State, and Michigan barring any unexpected upsets. Even though Georgia-Tennessee and Ohio State-Michigan play each other, if the losers of those games finish the season with only that loss I think the committee will let it fly. I'm also not sure Clemson has a legit case given their schedule not being as tough as the other teams. Their defense is legit but I honestly am not as high on their QB and they've also had a few very close games, including last night to Florida State.
I think it would take some really crazy results for the SEC and Big Ten to be the only teams in the playoff this year.  They will absolutely put a 1 loss major champion in ahead of Michigan whose non-con was awful.  Tennessee at least played (and obviously beat) Pitt so that helps them some, especially if Pitt can finish near the top of the ACC. 

« Reply #171 on: October 16, 2022, 05:16:52 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I think it would take some really crazy results for the SEC and Big Ten to be the only teams in the playoff this year.  They will absolutely put a 1 loss major champion in ahead of Michigan whose non-con was awful.  Tennessee at least played (and obviously beat) Pitt so that helps them some, especially if Pitt can finish near the top of the ACC.

Yeah it's hard to say. I guess we'll just have to see things play out. I think there'll be more upsets in store

« Reply #172 on: October 17, 2022, 04:19:01 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Yeah it's hard to say. I guess we'll just have to see things play out. I think there'll be more upsets in store
Right now the 5 major conferences all still have at least 1 unbeaten team.  It will be really interesting if the committee has to pick a 1 loss Georgia or an unbeaten major team for the 3rd or 4th spot.  So say OSU/Michigan is unbeaten and Bama wins the SEC with 1 loss.  You have the OSU/UM loser with 1 loss, Tennessee and Georgia both with 1 loss (and maybe Ole Miss since they don't play the 2 east teams and are unbeaten right now), and then let's say Clemson/Syracuse, UCLA, and TCU are all unbeaten conference champions.  I wouldn't envy the committee in that scenario and in that scenario I think they'd have to only have conference champions i.e. Big Ten, SEC, and then 2 of ACC, Big 12, Pac 12 and leave the highly ranked 1 loss teams out.  It would be complete anarchy if they put the 2nd SEC or Big Ten team in in that scenario.  Super unlikely to happen of course, but as of now it is at least a possibility.

« Reply #173 on: October 17, 2022, 08:40:17 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Right now the 5 major conferences all still have at least 1 unbeaten team.  It will be really interesting if the committee has to pick a 1 loss Georgia or an unbeaten major team for the 3rd or 4th spot.  So say OSU/Michigan is unbeaten and Bama wins the SEC with 1 loss.  You have the OSU/UM loser with 1 loss, Tennessee and Georgia both with 1 loss (and maybe Ole Miss since they don't play the 2 east teams and are unbeaten right now), and then let's say Clemson/Syracuse, UCLA, and TCU are all unbeaten conference champions.  I wouldn't envy the committee in that scenario and in that scenario I think they'd have to only have conference champions i.e. Big Ten, SEC, and then 2 of ACC, Big 12, Pac 12 and leave the highly ranked 1 loss teams out.  It would be complete anarchy if they put the 2nd SEC or Big Ten team in in that scenario.  Super unlikely to happen of course, but as of now it is at least a possibility.

I'm just happy they are expanding the playoffs. I always thought only 4 teams was ridiculous. At minimum, it should be 8 teams (or 16). If 8 teams, then you have the 5 power conferences having 1 team basically each, and then anywhere from 1-3 spots open to the others. Sort of like how Cincinnati was a playoff team last season.

« Reply #174 on: October 20, 2022, 09:47:26 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I'm just happy they are expanding the playoffs. I always thought only 4 teams was ridiculous. At minimum, it should be 8 teams (or 16). If 8 teams, then you have the 5 power conferences having 1 team basically each, and then anywhere from 1-3 spots open to the others. Sort of like how Cincinnati was a playoff team last season.
They are going to do 12 with the 5 highest conference champions being automatic and then the next 7 best teams.

« Reply #175 on: October 22, 2022, 03:07:09 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Clemson might make the playoffs due to wanting parity in the CFP and because Michigan-Ohio State + Tennessee-Georgia will play each other, but I'll be honest I think they are kind of overrated. Really not high on Uiagalelei and they've come close to losing a handful of times this season.

Just feels like whoever they play in the playoffs (Georgia, Ohio State or Tennessee) will cream them

« Reply #176 on: October 22, 2022, 03:20:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Clemson might make the playoffs due to wanting parity in the CFP and because Michigan-Ohio State + Tennessee-Georgia will play each other, but I'll be honest I think they are kind of overrated. Really not high on Uiagalelei and they've come close to losing a handful of times this season.

Just feels like whoever they play in the playoffs (Georgia, Ohio State or Tennessee) will cream them
Syracuse has done everything possible to give Clemson the W in this 2nd half

« Reply #177 on: October 22, 2022, 03:50:13 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Syracuse has done everything possible to give Clemson the W in this 2nd half

Pretty much. Clemson also had numerous chances to put it away but their offense couldn't. Defense had to held stout at the end (again).

« Reply #178 on: October 22, 2022, 06:58:53 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
#7 Ole Miss goes down!

« Reply #179 on: October 22, 2022, 08:10:57 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Oregon making a case.  Beat unbeaten UCLA pretty easily.  If they win out, they might finish ahead of an unbeaten Clemson.  Certainly would be interesting if it came down to those 2 for the 4th spot.