Author Topic: Which center should we sign?  (Read 39694 times)

Re: Which center should we sign?
« Reply #195 on: July 07, 2022, 06:45:45 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68

« Reply #196 on: July 07, 2022, 06:50:49 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
I wouldn't be upset at Boogie, but i think Whiteside is my preference for now the C's defense goes to another level when they have a shot blocker on the floor

« Reply #197 on: July 07, 2022, 06:51:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #198 on: July 07, 2022, 07:16:48 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

« Reply #199 on: July 07, 2022, 07:30:19 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Aaron Baynes available

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34208419/aron-baynes-work-nba-teams-las-vegas-one-year-spinal-cord-injury

I hope he makes it back.

Would be a great story.  If healthy he'd be a great fit for the cs.

I love Baynes. If he's healthy, he's the perfect backup big for us.

« Reply #200 on: July 08, 2022, 08:45:36 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Baynes is 35 and already battling injuries.   I wish him the best but we need a guy who can play minutes with Rob and Al.   

« Reply #201 on: July 08, 2022, 01:03:43 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
What's happened to Okungu? He signed somewhere?

I like the idea of a top overseas big as our backup center. Game experience, hungry to prove themselves in the NBA but also know they're not top dog and can fill a role.

« Reply #202 on: July 08, 2022, 01:08:15 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

I like the idea of a top overseas big as our backup center. Game experience, hungry to prove themselves in the NBA but also know they're not top dog and can fill a role.

He's worked out for a handful of teams, including the C's, but I don't see that he signed.  He's the one I want the C's to get.  Don't screw around!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #203 on: July 08, 2022, 01:16:01 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Baynes is 35 and already battling injuries.   I wish him the best but we need a guy who can play minutes with Rob and Al.

TP !

« Reply #204 on: July 08, 2022, 01:35:36 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

I’d love to get Gudaitas’ rights from Cleveland.

« Reply #205 on: July 08, 2022, 02:20:17 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Dwight Howard
Hassan Whiteside
DeMarcus Cousins
Moses Brown
Chinanu Onukau
Olivier Sarr

One of Those 6 I like to see backup TimeLord
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #206 on: July 08, 2022, 02:27:21 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Whiteside has bounced around but his talent level is still really high for a backup. Elite shot blocking and rebounding and he’s not the most balanced offensively but can score.

Are his downsides that huge? He seems a full step above others in terms of production. Maybe two.

« Reply #207 on: July 08, 2022, 02:40:04 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Whiteside has bounced around but his talent level is still really high for a backup. Elite shot blocking and rebounding and he’s not the most balanced offensively but can score.

Are his downsides that huge? He seems a full step above others in terms of production. Maybe two.

The question with Whiteside, as well as some of the others, is: how much of a problem will it be for them to not play some games?  If both Horford and Rob are available, the third center probably won’t see the floor.  No one likes not playing, but some guys deal with it better than others.  Can Whiteside?  Can Howard?  Fans are like “we need a guy in case of injury”, but most players don’t want to sign to somewhere where they’re only getting to play if there’s an injury, especially if they’ve been an every night player for years.

I’m good with Whiteside.  I don’t think he’d like the fit, however.

« Reply #208 on: July 08, 2022, 02:50:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

The question with Whiteside, as well as some of the others, is: how much of a problem will it be for them to not play some games?  If both Horford and Rob are available, the third center probably won’t see the floor.  No one likes not playing, but some guys deal with it better than others.  Can Whiteside?  Can Howard?  Fans are like “we need a guy in case of injury”, but most players don’t want to sign to somewhere where they’re only getting to play if there’s an injury, especially if they’ve been an every night player for years.

I’m good with Whiteside.  I don’t think he’d like the fit, however.

His defense is in decline as well. More exposed / uncomfortable defending on the perimeter than before. Less agile & able to keep up with guards.

I expected Utah to get a bigger boost from having Whiteside to backup Gobert. To have a legit big long shot-blocking center who could maintain their defensive structure while Gobert rested. I was surprised by how little impact Whiteside had for them. And by how badly his perimeter D had declined.

But yeah talent wise, even in decline, Whiteside is better than most if not all of the alternatives. My main concern, like Celtics2021, is with his character / personality.

You need a certain type of individual who is comfortable with getting DNPs regularly, who will keep working hard despite not playing, maintain a good energy and attitude despite not playing ... and I just do not believe Whiteside is that guy.

He is a sulker.

A potential malcontent if not playing.

« Reply #209 on: July 08, 2022, 03:02:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Hawks signed Kaminsky.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes