Author Topic: NFL Off-season 2022  (Read 69962 times)

Re: NFL Off-season 2022
« Reply #600 on: August 23, 2022, 09:32:35 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
UFC president Dana White said he helped broker a deal for quarterback Tom Brady to play for the Las Vegas Raiders when Brady was a free agent quarterback in 2020, but then-Raiders coach Jon Gruden nullified the deal at the last minute.White was convinced to tell the story by Rob Gronkowski during the UFC with the Gronks broadcast on ESPN and ESPN+ for UFC 278 on Saturday night.

"I worked to put that deal together for Brady and Gronk to come to the Raiders," White said. "It was almost a done deal. And at the last minute, Gruden blew the deal up and said that he didn't want him and all hell broke loose, man. It was crazy.

"And Brady was already looking at houses. It wasn't said yet that Gronk was going to be coming. So Las Vegas would have had Brady and Gronk the year that the Bucs won the Super Bowl except Gruden blew the deal up."

Interesting…

Dana White is insufferable. Oh, you worked to put that deal together Dana? Why not focus on the big issues in your sport, like retaining your best athletes.

I think White is a blowhard and was not some type of architect for a Brady in Vegas deal.

No idea about White's involvement, but I think Gronk confirmed the basic story.

Gronkowski’s response: “And Dana, that is exactly what happened, and you just told the story.”

“It worked out for the best, and I’m glad it did not go through,” Gronkowski added. “It all worked out for the best, man. I’m glad we went to Tampa, man. I loved that place.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rob-gronkowski-confirms-jon-gruden-040800199.html

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #601 on: August 23, 2022, 09:54:13 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
He’s insufferable in that he’s trying to claim credit for something that was likely occurring with other people. Another guy looking for attention and trying to include himself with the cool guys. Kinda reminds me of Jay Glazer.

« Reply #602 on: August 23, 2022, 10:01:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
UFC president Dana White said he helped broker a deal for quarterback Tom Brady to play for the Las Vegas Raiders when Brady was a free agent quarterback in 2020, but then-Raiders coach Jon Gruden nullified the deal at the last minute.White was convinced to tell the story by Rob Gronkowski during the UFC with the Gronks broadcast on ESPN and ESPN+ for UFC 278 on Saturday night.

"I worked to put that deal together for Brady and Gronk to come to the Raiders," White said. "It was almost a done deal. And at the last minute, Gruden blew the deal up and said that he didn't want him and all hell broke loose, man. It was crazy.

"And Brady was already looking at houses. It wasn't said yet that Gronk was going to be coming. So Las Vegas would have had Brady and Gronk the year that the Bucs won the Super Bowl except Gruden blew the deal up."

Interesting…

Dana White is insufferable. Oh, you worked to put that deal together Dana? Why not focus on the big issues in your sport, like retaining your best athletes.

I think White is a blowhard and was not some type of architect for a Brady in Vegas deal.

No idea about White's involvement, but I think Gronk confirmed the basic story.

Gronkowski’s response: “And Dana, that is exactly what happened, and you just told the story.”

“It worked out for the best, and I’m glad it did not go through,” Gronkowski added. “It all worked out for the best, man. I’m glad we went to Tampa, man. I loved that place.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rob-gronkowski-confirms-jon-gruden-040800199.html
Yep and Gronk basically goaded Dana into telling the story to begin with.  It wasn't like he just brought it up out of the blue.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #603 on: August 27, 2022, 09:07:44 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Buffalo Bills released Matt Araiza after he was involved in a civil lawsuit regarding "gang-raping" a 17-year old girl last year.

Here's the thing...why are teams so quick on releasing positions other than QB for something like this, but Deshaun Watson is still employed lol. I guess the punter position isn't an important position unlike the QB position. If Araiza had been a highly-drafted QB then he wouldn't have been released and let this whole due process play out instead lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #604 on: August 27, 2022, 09:43:46 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Buffalo Bills released Matt Araiza after he was involved in a civil lawsuit regarding "gang-raping" a 17-year old girl last year.

Here's the thing...why are teams so quick on releasing positions other than QB for something like this, but Deshaun Watson is still employed lol. I guess the punter position isn't an important position unlike the QB position. If Araiza had been a highly-drafted QB then he wouldn't have been released and let this whole due process play out instead lol

Punters rarely win games or sell tickets.  QBs do.  The Browns owner admitted that:

”Does he get no chance to rehabilitate himself? That’s what we’re gonna do, OK.”

“You can say that’s because he’s a star quarterback. Well, of course,” Haslam said with a slight chuckle.

I think everyone deserves due process.  Once guilt is determined as more likely than not, punish them hard.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #605 on: August 27, 2022, 10:06:59 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Nothing funny about a 17-year-old girl being gang raped.  Sports teams at all levels have a long history of ignoring/covering up the bad behavior of players.  In this case, the Bills signed Araiza on Monday even though they knew of the allegation.  On Thursday when the civil suit became public, they claimed they did a thorough investigation.  Now a couple days later they decide to release him due to "new evidence".  So much for that thorough investigation.  Complete bungling on the Bills part. 

Obviously a 6th round rookie punter doesn't have anywhere close to the value or amount of investment that a star QB does and is going to be treated differently.  Nothing new about that.  In the 80s, 3 Kansas City Royals players were in a drug scandal.  One was a star player, one was a fairly good starting player and the third was a bench player.  They ended up releasing the bench player, trading the starter and signing the star player to a new contract. 

« Reply #606 on: August 27, 2022, 10:43:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Ravens have continued their preseason win streak and Huntley continues to look like a legit starting level QB.  Another masterful game from him.  Amazing the Ravens can have 2 high quality QB's when so many teams struggle to find 1 (Huntley would likely start for both the Steelers and Browns to start the year, as an example).

He looked pretty bad in actual games against starters. Bit of a leap to call him a starting caliber qb off preseason. There is a long list of preseason stats at qb… anyone remember Michael bishop?

« Reply #607 on: August 27, 2022, 11:12:46 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Ravens have continued their preseason win streak and Huntley continues to look like a legit starting level QB.  Another masterful game from him.  Amazing the Ravens can have 2 high quality QB's when so many teams struggle to find 1 (Huntley would likely start for both the Steelers and Browns to start the year, as an example).

He looked pretty bad in actual games against starters. Bit of a leap to call him a starting caliber qb off preseason. There is a long list of preseason stats at qb… anyone remember Michael bishop?
he was at a 65% completion percentage last year (and over 6 yards a carry), playing on a team that was down starters at every position group.  I mean when he was out there the Ravens were playing with RB's they signed off the street, backup OL at several spots, and injuries to a bunch of WR's (and don't get started on that D2 college level defense as a result of injuries) .  He did have Andrews as a target, but he was about it and Huntley put that mish mosh of a team in a position to beat several playoff teams down the stretch last year.  All as a 2nd year QB.  Huntley absolutely could start for several teams this year and be an improvement over what they have. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #608 on: August 28, 2022, 12:53:01 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

he was at a 65% completion percentage last year (and over 6 yards a carry), playing on a team that was down starters at every position group.  I mean when he was out there the Ravens were playing with RB's they signed off the street, backup OL at several spots, and injuries to a bunch of WR's (and don't get started on that D2 college level defense as a result of injuries) .  He did have Andrews as a target, but he was about it and Huntley put that mish mosh of a team in a position to beat several playoff teams down the stretch last year.  All as a 2nd year QB.  Huntley absolutely could start for several teams this year and be an improvement over what they have.

If we mention the completion percentage should the 4 interceptions. It’s possible he is a decent qb but crowing about preseason performances is just weird.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 06:50:09 AM by celticsclay »

« Reply #609 on: August 29, 2022, 08:10:19 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
SF restructured Jimmy G's contract to a 1 year $6.5M base fully guaranteed. Is this a ploy to keep him in SF so Seattle don't snatch him? Or do they not fully trust in Trey Lance? I think a bit of both

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #610 on: August 30, 2022, 03:11:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
ESPN came out with a list of their top 100 players.

Tom Brady was 20th.

No Patriots made the list. Think Judon should definitely have made it.

« Reply #611 on: August 30, 2022, 04:39:17 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
SF restructured Jimmy G's contract to a 1 year $6.5M base fully guaranteed. Is this a ploy to keep him in SF so Seattle don't snatch him? Or do they not fully trust in Trey Lance? I think a bit of both

Never hurts to have a veteran QB on the cheap to back up the mobile, inexperienced starter.

« Reply #612 on: August 30, 2022, 11:52:51 PM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
ESPN came out with a list of their top 100 players.

Tom Brady was 20th.

No Patriots made the list. Think Judon should definitely have made it.

I think that’s fair. I was bummed out when Judon stopped producing when it got cold last year. I also think it’s fair that the Pats don’t have anyone listed. They need to prove their worth. This is not an impressive team on paper.

« Reply #613 on: August 30, 2022, 11:55:45 PM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

At this point of the year, it makes sense for him to collect checks while riding the pine then get traded when someone gets hurt.

« Reply #614 on: August 30, 2022, 11:57:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

At this point of the year, it makes sense for him to collect checks while riding the pine then get traded when someone gets hurt.

Team that could use him is Seattle but 49ers would never trade him there.