Author Topic: NFL Off-season 2022  (Read 70501 times)

Re: NFL Off-season 2022
« Reply #525 on: August 02, 2022, 01:58:38 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The Miami news also makes Brady look pretty bad. Had constant communication with Miami from the summer of 2019 all throughout the season and playoffs. Dude literally quit on the Pats that year.

« Reply #526 on: August 02, 2022, 02:23:32 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
The Miami news also makes Brady look pretty bad. Had constant communication with Miami from the summer of 2019 all throughout the season and playoffs. Dude literally quit on the Pats that year.

I was done as a Brady fan the day he left.  That he was actively engaged in his departure during the 2019 season just adds a little bit to my disillusionment. GOAT no doubt and would have loved it if he stayed, but once gone, gone.  I guess he was already gone before he left.

« Reply #527 on: August 02, 2022, 04:48:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
[dang].

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
NFL stripped the Dolphins of their 2023 first-round draft pick and 2024 third-round pick for violating the integrity of the game.

Dolphins’ owner Stephen Ross also suspended through Oct. 17 and fined $1.5 million.

When I saw the penalties I assumed it was about tanking.  That's much more concrete.

Hint to the NBA:  if you want to stop tampering, this is the way to do it.
I don't know if this is really comparable to what we think of and hear about NBA tanking.  I mean talking during the dark period is not the same thing as talking during the course of an entire season.

My guess is that NBA teams don't wait until the week before free agency to initiate conversations.  For instance, Malcolm Brogdon.  Would it shock anybody if the Knicks started tampering with him six months ago, either through his agent or his father?
Jalen Brunson, you mean?

« Reply #528 on: August 02, 2022, 04:53:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
[dang].

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
NFL stripped the Dolphins of their 2023 first-round draft pick and 2024 third-round pick for violating the integrity of the game.

Dolphins’ owner Stephen Ross also suspended through Oct. 17 and fined $1.5 million.

When I saw the penalties I assumed it was about tanking.  That's much more concrete.

Hint to the NBA:  if you want to stop tampering, this is the way to do it.
I don't know if this is really comparable to what we think of and hear about NBA tanking.  I mean talking during the dark period is not the same thing as talking during the course of an entire season.

My guess is that NBA teams don't wait until the week before free agency to initiate conversations.  For instance, Malcolm Brogdon.  Would it shock anybody if the Knicks started tampering with him six months ago, either through his agent or his father?
Jalen Brunson, you mean?

Yes, thanks.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #529 on: August 02, 2022, 05:40:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Instead of losing picks, the Dolphins should have been made to give the 1st rounder to the Pats' and their 3rd rounder to the Saints.

You want to tamper with other teams players or coaches, you not only lose your picks, they go to your competition who you tried to screw with.

Should be the same in the NBA. If the Knicks tampered with Brunson, give the Mavs their next available first rounder. See how quick tampering stops then if your actions mean you can make other teams better by being caught doing it.

« Reply #530 on: August 02, 2022, 05:53:47 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Instead of losing picks, the Dolphins should have been made to give the 1st rounder to the Pats' and their 3rd rounder to the Saints.

You want to tamper with other teams players or coaches, you not only lose your picks, they go to your competition who you tried to screw with.

Should be the same in the NBA. If the Knicks tampered with Brunson, give the Mavs their next available first rounder. See how quick tampering stops then if your actions mean you can make other teams better by being caught doing it.

Makes a lot of sense in terms of compensation. Teams in the NBA lose players with no compensation which is a gigantic advantage to preferred destinations (Lakers).  So especially when tampering occurs, and even when there is no tampering, there should be some compensation when a valuable player is lost to free agency.

« Reply #531 on: August 03, 2022, 04:02:06 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Good.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
League has filed its appeal in Deshaun Watson suspension, per source.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #532 on: August 03, 2022, 04:28:41 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Good.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

I will never understand why a sports league needs to discipline its players over an issue, where the player already had their day in court. The guy didn't play all of last season because of this, and an independent arbitrator thought a 6 game suspension was appropriate this season. Maybe we should just castrate Watson at this point, because anything short of that will never be good enough for some people.

« Reply #533 on: August 03, 2022, 04:40:36 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Good.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

I will never understand why a sports league needs to discipline its players over an issue, where the player already had their day in court. The guy didn't play all of last season because of this, and an independent arbitrator thought a 6 game suspension was appropriate this season. Maybe we should just castrate Watson at this point, because anything short of that will never be good enough for some people.

6 games was an absolute joke.  The penalty should be increased.  You expect me to have sympathy for the scumbag given the nature of what he did and the number of women he involved?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #534 on: August 03, 2022, 04:42:17 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

There are reports though that the Saints and Bucs had deals in place with the Dolphins, but Flores blew it all up.  There are also reports that the Patriots at least knew of the conversations and didn't care because they were out of the Tom Brady business at the end of that season.  So if that is the case, why should they get a draft pick when they knew of or were complicit in the tampering. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #535 on: August 03, 2022, 04:45:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Good.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

I’d be good with castration.  It’s fairer than 1.5 games per proven sexual assault.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #536 on: August 03, 2022, 04:47:03 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

I was done as a Brady fan the day he left.  That he was actively engaged in his departure during the 2019 season just adds a little bit to my disillusionment. GOAT no doubt and would have loved it if he stayed, but once gone, gone.  I guess he was already gone before he left.

Why would Tom stay and play for a coach that wanted to move forward with another QB in Jimmy G and for an owner that was underpaying him for the majority of his career?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #537 on: August 03, 2022, 04:50:41 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

Why would Tom stay and play for a coach that wanted to move forward with Jimmy G at QB and for an owner that was underpaying him for the majority of his career?

Not to mention wasted a couple of titles and Brady's years with benching Malcolm in 2017 Superbowl, no defense in 2011, drafting mostly busts and guys like N'Keal Harry, trading for Mohamed Sanu etc

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #538 on: August 03, 2022, 04:52:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Why would Tom stay and play for a coach that wanted to move forward with Jimmy G at QB and for an owner that was underpaying him for the majority of his career?

Not to mention wasted a couple of titles and Brady's years with benching Malcolm in 2017 Superbowl, no defense in 2011, drafting mostly busts and guys like N'Keal Harry, trading for Mohamed Sanu etc

I’d say BB and Kraft did way, way more good than bad.

« Reply #539 on: August 03, 2022, 05:06:46 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

I’d say BB and Kraft did way, way more good than bad.

Sure, but they should have done more to convince Brady to stay. I mean, what have Bill or Kraft accomplished before or after Brady?  Not much.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.