Author Topic: Is there a Durant or Lebron in this draft?  (Read 11219 times)

Is there a Durant or Lebron in this draft?
« on: January 21, 2012, 06:16:40 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Everyone has been talking about the upcoming draft being very deep but I don't hear much about the players. Are guys like Andre Drummond, Anthony Davis, Jeremy Lamb, Harrison Barnes or Jared Sullinger going to generate as much excitement as say, the 2007 draft?

I'm not big into college hoops so I'm hoping to get some insight here.

Re: Is there a Durant or Lebron in this draft?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 06:26:54 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't watch college basketball either but Andre Drummond sounds like one heck of a prospect. Probably take some time to put things together but has a nice base to build off of.

Not yet convinced on any of the others in terms of superstar potential.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 06:30:01 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't watch college basketball either
Am I alone in thinking this draft is very shallow once you get out of the lottery?

There seems to be a lack of quality in the remainder of the first round compared to recent seasons.

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 08:14:19 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Its hard to find a durant or lebron...you are more likely to find a rudy gay or harden imo...which is what I want the celts to go after unless they have a chance for a superstar...build a team like the grizzlies...a lot of really good allstar type players who play as a team.

I'm wondering if the celts should package their picks to get a lottery pick this year

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 08:23:45 AM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
I think we'll be in the lottery this year without making a trade.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 08:25:43 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Its hard to find a durant or lebron...you are more likely to find a rudy gay or harden imo...which is what I want the celts to go after unless they have a chance for a superstar...build a team like the grizzlies...a lot of really good allstar type players who play as a team.

I'm wondering if the celts should package their picks to get a lottery pick this year

I think getting a couple really good players, Like a Harden and Gay is better. It would be easier to bring in a allstar in if they have a good supporting cast, if you start with a superstar like Lebron and you do to well to get back into the draft, a few years later we might end up being Cleveland.

Unless Danny has stocked up picks from other teams over the next few years that will be low picks. I'd rather have two guys at the 13-18 pick and see if they get a Rudy Gay or Harden out of one of the two, or even better BOTH! One puck in the lottery unless its in the top 3 could be a bust as well as a 13th pick. This way you have 2 chances to get some thing solid.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 08:59:13 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Anthony Davis is the best player I think.  He's like a mix of Marcus Camby and Amare, he's a straight out freak. 
do it

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 09:08:54 AM »

Offline MF Doom

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
i think michael gilchrist and quincy perry are very good psospects that not too many people talk about

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 09:11:17 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Am I alone in thinking this draft is very shallow once you get out of the lottery?

There seems to be a lack of quality in the remainder of the first round compared to recent seasons.

That's been my sense, but I'm definitely not an expert on college talent.  The top 11 or so is stacked with quality players, but after that, everything seems pretty hit or miss.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 09:25:51 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
This draft aint deep at all which is why iont get why this blog keeps being thrilled about a lottery pick

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 09:30:23 AM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
There's a lot of truly standout players on
second and third tier teams which Danny overlooks.
Danny likes to draft from the big name teams.
What he fails to realize is that those teams
all have accomplished supporting casts. For example,
Marshon Brooks was playing with scrubs.
Danny is vanilla. The Celtics don't seem to do
a good job scouting, I don't see much of a scouting
program. Scouting is looking for raw ability, no
matter where it's found. Low hanging fruit is
Danny's forte.

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 09:38:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

That's been my sense, but I'm definitely not an expert on college talent.  The top 11 or so is stacked with quality players, but after that, everything seems pretty hit or miss.
the draft is very deep.  There will be plenty of solid players late in the first round and possibly even in the second depending on how many players leave early.

Guys like William Buford will be late first round picks and he could be a solid NBA player. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 10:52:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think the Davis kid from KY is very good.  Kid-Gilchrist is solid as well.   At lot of these guys will be players in the NBA for years but as for nailing a star my bet would be the Anthony Davis.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 10:55:37 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I don't think there's anyone on that level, just a bunch of very solid players as others have said.

I think Anthony Davis is the only one with surefire star potential, but he'll have more of an impact on the defensive end.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 11:14:13 AM »

Offline FearTheBeard

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
Hard to say, when you have a lot of these superstar teams (looking at you UK) it's hard to see how good the players really are because they play supporting roles. Someone like Tom Robinson who is the main feature at Kansas is thriving and looking like a Chris Webber type player if you ask me. Drummond is putting in 7/7 right now, nothing special but he was a late enrollment.

When players only stay for 1 or 2 seasons you can really only go with potential

Drummond is a freak of nature. Biggest, strongest, and fastest player at a top school like Uconn as a freshman. No one can say for sure it will translate to the NBA but he's the most physically gifted big man since Oden and before that Dwight. Much better than Thabeet

Same goes for PJIII.

Barnes, Sullinger are more of the safer picks in this draft having played a couple years as the guy, upside might be a bit lower though. I see them as Luol Deng, and Carlos Boozer types.