Author Topic: How long will Austin Rivers play college ball?  (Read 14394 times)

How long will Austin Rivers play college ball?
« on: May 18, 2011, 12:38:12 PM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
With Kyrie Irving all set to do the "one and done" route via Duke, is Austin Rivers gonna do the same after one year with the Blue Devils? Will this sit well with Doc? Thoughts?

Re: How long will Austin Rivers play college ball?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 12:46:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
If he is successful enough, a top 3-5 pick, I can't see him staying for a second season.

If he is a lottery pick (or worse) but not a top 3-5 pick, I can see him staying for another year to improve his game. Doc's money negating the financial risk of staying in college.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 12:51:29 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If he is successful enough, a top 3-5 pick, I can't see him staying for a second season.

If he is a lottery pick (or worse) but not a top 3-5 pick, I can see him staying for another year to improve his game. Doc's money negating the financial risk of staying in college.

Yeah, exactly.  The more I think about it, I think he will likely stay for 2+ years.  Next years draft is looking like it could be absolutely loaded at the top, and it is rare that Duke players come right in and look great from the start.  So, I think he will likely test the waters next year, but return to school when he is not projected in the top 5, and then be in the 2013 draft.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 12:54:37 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Definite one and done. I couldnt see him sticking around with the hype and projections scouts are giving him.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 01:19:46 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible

Yeah, exactly.  The more I think about it, I think he will likely stay for 2+ years.  Next years draft is looking like it could be absolutely loaded at the top, and it is rare that Duke players come right in and look great from the start.  So, I think he will likely test the waters next year, but return to school when he is not projected in the top 5, and then be in the 2013 draft.

If he is one and done, wouldn't that increase his chances of being picked by the Celtics via the Clippers pick if he falls to the 10-15 range?

Become Legendary.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 01:24:03 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Probably 2.  Are they still trying to change the rule from 1 to 2 years in college to be eligible for the draft?  Obviously if so that has some play on it, but I think he'll stay 2.  Whatever he does, he isn't going to get drafted higher than Barnes, Anthony Davis, Perry Jones, Sullinger, and Quincy Miller.  The upside due to their size is just that much greater than Rivers.
do it

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 01:30:28 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I think he plays all 4.  Top notch academic institution as  well as a high character up-bringing.  I would say he graduates.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 01:35:46 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
I think he plays all 4.  Top notch academic institution as  well as a high character up-bringing.  I would say he graduates.

Hmmm so maybe thats why Doc wanted that 5-year extension lol

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 01:49:52 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Yeah, exactly.  The more I think about it, I think he will likely stay for 2+ years.  Next years draft is looking like it could be absolutely loaded at the top, and it is rare that Duke players come right in and look great from the start.  So, I think he will likely test the waters next year, but return to school when he is not projected in the top 5, and then be in the 2013 draft.

If he is one and done, wouldn't that increase his chances of being picked by the Celtics via the Clippers pick if he falls to the 10-15 range?

I think there is little to no chance he comes out next year if he isn't going to go top 5. 

I also think it would be a terrible situation if he did end up playing for his coach.  Way more harm than good would come from that, and they all know it. 

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 01:56:38 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Until the Celtics get the Clippers' pick.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 01:59:41 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Do you guys really think he wants to play for his father?

If you were in his position, would you want to play for your father?  When you finally get paid, and get to be independent, and have the possibility to be the biggest star in the world...and your Dad is your boss?  I don't think that is something he is looking forward to.

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 02:07:34 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
great topic.  Hadn't thought of the possibility of his returning to school.  I could definitely see him sticking around Duke another year....not more than two though.  Agree he probably wouldn't want to play for dad.....fine with me I'd rather we stumble into Michael Gilchrist  :o

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 02:37:05 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

If you were in his position, would you want to play for your father?  When you finally get paid, and get to be independent, and have the possibility to be the biggest star in the world...and your Dad is your boss?  I don't think that is something he is looking forward to.
Why not?  I don't see how his coach will affect how much he gets paid or how independent he'll be.

Plus Doc is a cool dude, how many guys haven't liked Doc since he's been here?  He's a players' coach.  In this league the players are going to affect him much more than the coach, and who wouldn't want to play with the Big 3 + Rondo?

I don't see what the big deal is.  For every kid there is out there that doesn't like his dad and wouldn't want to be around him there's one who wouldn't want to be coached by anyone else.  There's no reason to lean in one direction or the other.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 02:53:17 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Why not?  I don't see how his coach will affect how much he gets paid or how independent he'll be.

Plus Doc is a cool dude, how many guys haven't liked Doc since he's been here?  He's a players' coach.  In this league the players are going to affect him much more than the coach, and who wouldn't want to play with the Big 3 + Rondo?

I don't see what the big deal is.  For every kid there is out there that doesn't like his dad and wouldn't want to be around him there's one who wouldn't want to be coached by anyone else.  There's no reason to lean in one direction or the other.

It's similar to why it's not always the best idea to move in together with your best friend.  I guess at shooting guard there'd be less for Austin to get yelled at for than if he's at PG, but Doc has that fiery temper that, unless Austin is very thick skinned, could cause some serious filial funks....

no idea if I used "filial" correctly...

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 03:20:16 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
The question of whether or not a kid wants to play for his father really depends on a case to case basis. Sometimes parents and kids have very good father son relationships, considering that Doc probably taught Austin most of his basketball when he grew up. And Doc has been an NBA all-star, so he can relate. I don't think it'd be as bad as people suggest.

Become Legendary.