Author Topic: Gary Williams Retiring  (Read 5688 times)

Gary Williams Retiring
« on: May 05, 2011, 08:27:46 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
After 33 years, 668 wins, 17 NCAA tournament appearances, three ACC regular-season titles, nine Sweet 16s, two Elite Eights, two Final Fours and a thrilling run to the 2002 national title, Gary Williams has officially reached the end of his career.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/30613/waving-farewell-to-gary-williams

One of the great coaches in college basketball.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

Re: Gary Williams Retiring
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 11:02:08 PM »

Offline sportsfreak

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
After 33 years, 668 wins, 17 NCAA tournament appearances, three ACC regular-season titles, nine Sweet 16s, two Elite Eights, two Final Fours and a thrilling run to the 2002 national title, Gary Williams has officially reached the end of his career.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/30613/waving-farewell-to-gary-williams

One of the great coaches in college basketball.

Very surprised when I heard this news today on campus. It makes sense since his best player from last year (Jordan Williams) declared for the draft and signed with an agent yesterday and Grevis left two years ago. After getting up there in Age, he realized he cannot rebuild this team (still a few years away) so he decided to quit. He is a legend here, and will always be remembered by the Terrapin Faithful.

Hopefully we get a coach who can recruit and develop our young guys (We have some quality frosh from last year) and maybe within a few years we can compete in the ACC with the likes of Duke and UNC.

Big year of change here, We just got a new school president, new AD, new Football coach (Randy Edsall from UConn) and now a new Basketball Coach. Should be intersting.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 01:52:03 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
It's a pretty interesting time for him to retire, but in my opinion this is the #1 job in college hoop now.  It'll be interesting to see who takes it.
do it

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 12:48:38 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It's a pretty interesting time for him to retire, but in my opinion this is the #1 job in college hoop now.  It'll be interesting to see who takes it.
it is the only job open right now  ;)

Though it was the best to open this off season, though Maryland is not an elite program or job like some are implying.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 01:36:25 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Though it was the best to open this off season, though Maryland is not an elite program or job like some are implying.

I think it is, Great fan base, Great conference, and between two bball recruiting hotbeds in Baltimore and DC.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 02:14:26 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I think it is, Great fan base, Great conference, and between two bball recruiting hotbeds in Baltimore and DC.
It is a good job, but I can think of about 25 jobs I'd rather have.  It has been 9 years since Maryland made it out of the second round in the NCAA tournament, which doesn't strike me as an elite program.

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 02:46:39 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

It is a good job, but I can think of about 25 jobs I'd rather have.  It has been 9 years since Maryland made it out of the second round in the NCAA tournament, which doesn't strike me as an elite program.

When I consider what would make it a good job I don't think about recent performance I think thats irrelevant.  There are certain things that you can't change such as fanbase, academic standards, location.  Maryland has all of those. A great fanbase, low academic standards for athletes, and a good recruiting location.  These make it a very good job.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 09:49:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

When I consider what would make it a good job I don't think about recent performance I think thats irrelevant.  There are certain things that you can't change such as fanbase, academic standards, location.  Maryland has all of those. A great fanbase, low academic standards for athletes, and a good recruiting location.  These make it a very good job.
sure but there are at least 25 jobs that have those three criteria and actually aren't mediocre in the last decade.