Author Topic: When can we say that Ainge had a terrible offseason?  (Read 63069 times)

Re: When can we say that Ainge had a terrible offseason?
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2009, 01:28:25 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
I really don't see the fascination about labeling wether the offseason was a good one or not. What should matter is what the playoff elegible roster looks like. A "bad" offseason by the standards of many here could lead to good aditions during the season. A "good" offseason by the standards of many here could lead to an ineffective roster, with less flexibility and ability to add players during the season as needs become apparent.

So wether Ainge had a "bad" or "good" offseason should really be inconsequential as far as I'm concerned. What I do know is that Ainge has some financial flexibility at the moment to improve the team, something he might've not had at his disposal had him gone in another direction without guarantees that the team would've been better.

Since most of the options people were calling for were minimum salary deals.

That's not true at all.

Other than the Posey option, people were suggesting names like Chris Andersen, Matt Barnes, etc., i.e., players who signed for the minimum.

I wanted both of them, but that doesn't mean that they would've accepted minimum deals to come here just because they accepted those elsewhere. Just because people throw names around that they would've liked to sign for the minimum, it doesn't mean that Ainge could've had them for that ammount.

Also, just as there were some that liked Andersen, I remember the a good portion, or the majority around here as being opposed to bringing him here. Matt Barnes was criticized here quite a bit because of his defense. Even so, Andersen is one I believe we could've had for a minium deal, but using that as an example doesn't sit well with me because people around here weren't enamored with the idea of him here.

Boston made and offer to Anderson, he chose to go back to Denver for the same money out of loyalty to the franchise that gave him his start...

...maybe more money would have convinced him, but then you are assuming that Ainge valued him beyond what was offered - clearly he did not...same goes for Brent Barry and Michael Finley, the two veteran wings Ainge made offers to...

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2009, 07:57:21 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Danny doing his KG impression after signing Moore and on the verge of signing Marbury:

What you gonna say now?!  What you gon-na say NOW?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2009, 08:12:07 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Danny doing his KG impression after signing Moore and on the verge of signing Marbury:

I think it's a little premature.  While I'm optimistic about both players, they could both be busts.  Furthermore it doesn't change two facts:

1) This isn't the offseason.  So Danny still had a bad offseason. 

2) It was still a terrible risk.  There's no way Danny could guarantee that Marbury and Moore were going to be available.  When you have three aging superstars, you don't roll the dice that buyouts will work out in your favor and risk not being the best you can be in a given year. 

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2009, 08:18:48 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
2008 was a bad offseason. The Celtics choose to wait and spend the extra dough in the better looking FA classes of 09 and 10. I agree with that decision.

Of course I would have liked to see POB, Sam and TA replaced with better players. Whatever.

« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2009, 09:08:33 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

I think it's a little premature.  While I'm optimistic about both players, they could both be busts.  Furthermore it doesn't change two facts:

2) It was still a terrible risk.  There's no way Danny could guarantee that Marbury and Moore were going to be available.  When you have three aging superstars, you don't roll the dice that buyouts will work out in your favor and risk not being the best you can be in a given year. 

My post is no more premature than this thread.  Any player Danny brought in in the offseason could also be busts.  The OP has no more idea than anyone else how the season will turn out no matter who Danny signs.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2009, 09:16:31 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

It's too early to say Danny had a bad offseason. We haven't lost the title because of not having Posey on the roster. If not signing Posey doesn't cost us a title then Danny had a good offseason.

« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2009, 09:22:20 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Quite true. I find the contention that this is "all part of a plan" patently absurd and extremely laughable.

But we're interrupting a record moment of hyperbole on this board.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2009, 09:25:08 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Good points, but bankshot was still pretty funny, no?
 :D
(TPs to you both -- cheers)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2009, 09:30:13 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Well, you either said it before the season started, or forever hold your peace(or your piece if you prefer).
Anyone can second guess after the season is over.
IMO he had a bad offseason. Should have signed Posey, I always felt that way. But it's not my money, or Ainge's either, so maybe he had no choice.

« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2009, 09:36:18 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Couldn't it be an average offseason? Who knows who was really available, and for how much. There's no guarantee we won't win a title this year and there's no guarantee that a different move would have solidified a title. To me, a good offseason would have been to get Posey or similarly effective player(s) at a reasonable price. On the other hand, I think a "terrible" offseason would have resulted in a massive long-term contract to a player who wouldn't live up to it...such as the deal Posey ultimately got. Because Ainge didn't saddle himself with such a terrible contract, it can't really be a terrible offseason. It wasn't a good one either, but somewhere in between.

What upsets me is that the New Orleans owners already want a do-over on Posey...while when the deal went down, many of the more rational minds out there knew that it was a terrible deal for a player like Posey. If only New Orleans had had their heads screwed on straight, our offseason could have been much better. Unfortunately, it only takes one idiot with a mid-level exception to screw things for the rest of the teams out there.

« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2009, 10:35:47 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
When can we say that Ainge had a terrible offseason?

When the playoffs are over.

Why does this thread have so many posts? The answer is pretty simple.

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2009, 10:52:04 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Quite true. I find the contention that this is "all part of a plan" patently absurd and extremely laughable.

More posts about how Danny killed our chances of repeating, or other hyperbole?

« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2009, 11:10:26 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

Always lots of hyperbole on the board.

Considering we have the same record this year as last year, I'm not sure what we can point to to say bad offseason. To revise my earlier post, we will only know:

- After the post-season
- When setting up our roster in the next few years (when the flexibility may seem particularly beneficial)

For example, if we win it all this year, and have money to make a significant pickup in 2 years (when Posey's money could have been a big burden) then we would have to say Danny played things perfectly. If we lose to Cleveland in the playoffs because PP is constantly in foul trouble and we have no backup 3, then we can say Danny blew it.

Too many people want so badly to say "I told you so." Way too early for that (assuming it will ever really be possible).

« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2009, 11:14:30 PM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119

Always lots of hyperbole on the board.

Considering we have the same record this year as last year, I'm not sure what we can point to to say bad offseason. To revise my earlier post, we will only know:

- After the post-season
- When setting up our roster in the next few years (when the flexibility may seem particularly beneficial)

For example, if we win it all this year, and have money to make a significant pickup in 2 years (when Posey's money could have been a big burden) then we would have to say Danny played things perfectly. If we lose to Cleveland in the playoffs because PP is constantly in foul trouble and we have no backup 3, then we can say Danny blew it.

Too many people want so badly to say "I told you so." Way too early for that (assuming it will ever really be possible).

Perfectly said, guava wrench.  TP for perfection.
Folly. Persist.

« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2009, 11:18:57 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

This is what I see happening this year. The Celtics go on to beat the Lakers in 7 games. Of course, everyone is ecstatic, except for Coach Bo, who repeatedly points out that penny-pinching Wyc and Danny don't deserve rings because it was all luck, and Danny never had a plan, and that if we had kept Posey we would have won in 5 games.

By the tone of you're posts, it honestly sounds like you would be happy to see the Celtics fail this year, just because you have some sort of weird deep-seated hatrid for Danny. Yeah, you can deny it all you want, but I think you may want to say "I told you so" that much.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!