Author Topic: League going opposite to my expectations  (Read 3277 times)

League going opposite to my expectations
« on: June 28, 2018, 08:01:05 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

So, GS wins 3rd Championship in 4yrs.  The NCAA in hot seat for under-the-table back door sponsoring.  Too much of "potential" guessing on draft night.

League eyeing solution:
1. Hard cap
2. Expansion (water down league)
3. Allowing High School kids to enter draft

I was expecting the exact opposite:
1. Keep soft cap
2. Go down to  say...22 teams from 30
3. Raise age limit to  Sophomores....or two years removed from High School.

Personally, I don't mind the flexibility of a player going where ever he wants to go.  I don't think it would be such an issue if the league as a whole was smaller and therefore more competitive - or if the draft was packed with proven prospects.

Thoughts?

Re: League going opposite to my expectations
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 08:07:40 AM »

Online smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

So, GS wins 3rd Championship in 4yrs.  The NCAA in hot seat for under-the-table back door sponsoring.  Too much of "potential" guessing on draft night.

League eyeing solution:
1. Hard cap

1. Keep soft cap

Personally, I don't mind the flexibility of a player going where ever he wants to go.  I don't think it would be such an issue if the league as a whole was smaller and therefore more competitive - or if the draft was packed with proven prospects.

Thoughts?

Thing is, they were never going to reduce the teams by 25-30%. That would mean owners voting to put other owners out in the cold. This would almost certainly never happen.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 08:17:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1551

League eyeing solution:
1. Hard cap

1. Keep soft cap

Thoughts?

Thing is, they were never going to reduce the teams by 25-30%. That would mean owners voting to put other owners out in the cold. This would almost certainly never happen.
It also isn't necessary.  The league has never had as much talent as it does now. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 08:26:54 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

League eyeing solution:
1. Hard cap

1. Keep soft cap

Thoughts?

1. I wouldn’t be too worried about the soft cap going away just yet, still need to negotiate that in with the players union, no small task.
2. Even if they could throw out 10 owners they wouldn’t, the league is loaded with talent and making money hand over fist.
3. Players would just go overseas even more frequently. Time to do away with age restrictions altogether. I live for the day when the Celtics draft a 12 year old, set him up financially for life, and and then we all watch him grow through our minor league system. College Ball is a racket

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 08:56:37 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

League eyeing solution:
1. Hard cap

1. Keep soft cap

Thoughts?
what you were expecting in terms of contraction and raising the age limits won't happen.  as others have said, they're not eliminating owners nor would the players union support any kind of contraction that cost them jobs.  while screening out high school kids has kept some teams from drafting overhyped kids, it's not really supportable in terms of teams really wanting kids as soon as they can get them and kids being denied  financial opportunity based solely on age.

hard cap vs soft cap with penalties will probably stay with current soft cap with penalties. 

I think the current chatter of swapping the order of free agency and the draft will gain some traction and actually occur -- probably by the next CBA (would think the players would have to sign off on that change since it impacts their free agency dates). 

only other change not being kicked around that I think should be is a stronger commissioner taking action against player collusion to form superteams.  I think that should be treated as harshly as teams that tamper with players on other teams -- ban players from discussing joining together via free agency. 

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 09:44:14 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm in favor of a "hard cap" that allows you to keep players you draft. I think there are a few ways of doing this similar to the way Bird rights were first created.

I don't think you will see less times instead you will see more. As other posters have said and I agree there is a ton of talent in the league especially if you cut down on the ability to create super teams.

I do agree I'd like to see kids stay in college for 2 years, high school kids just tend to sit on the bench.

I think one of the things the NBA could do is allow teams to have longer control of draft picks.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 09:54:15 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I think they should widen the court.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 09:57:21 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I hate the idea of expansion.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 10:02:04 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

TP I agree with that.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 10:48:05 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

League eyeing solution:
1. Hard cap

1. Keep soft cap

Thoughts?

It also isn't necessary.  The league has never had as much talent as it does now.

I agree.  Much more than say the 90’s. 

I do really like the idea of widening the court.  While we are at it give more room for players under the basket, and get those camera guys out if there.  Someone is seriously going to get hurt by one of these camera guys one of these days.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 10:51:27 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

TP I agree with that.

Wouldn't that make defending Golden State even more impossible?

I'm just using them as an example, of course, but it seems like that would just increase the emphasis on 3s.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 11:22:20 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Never was a chance in hell that the league was going to shrink.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 11:32:57 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

TP I agree with that.

I'm just using them as an example, of course, but it seems like that would just increase the emphasis on 3s.

if anything it would help make sure Brown and Rozier aren't standing out of bounds when they station themselves in the corner.  they're good for at least 1 if not 2 TOs per game with that carelessness.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 12:09:23 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
While league reduction would never happen for the reasons stated, league expansion would be terrible.  If all the teams are spread even thinner, then when players decide to form super teams they would be even more relatively dominant and the bottom teams in the league would be even worse than the Brooklyn, Sacramento, and Atlanta rosters we've seen lately.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 12:16:16 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

TP I agree with that.

Depends, are we also lengthening the court and moving the three point line out?

I think the league should definitely look into moving the three point line out a couple feet.  Right now the three point shot is too easy of a shot to make for too many players in the league.  The difficulty:value ratio of three point shot is way out of wack compared to a two point shot.  If you want emphasize other aspects of the game and create more diversity in offensive styles , rectifying this imbalance is the first place I would look.