Poll

What was the best Celtics playoff performance in the last 20 years?

IT against the Wizards, Game 2
19 (59.4%)
Paul Pierce against the Nets, Game 3 (ECF 2002)
12 (37.5%)
Other
1 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Who did it better?  (Read 3884 times)

Who did it better?
« on: May 02, 2017, 11:10:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Which one have you got? Pierce leading the biggest 4th quarter comeback in NBA history, or Thomas scoring the second most points in Celtics playoff history?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Who did it better?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 11:13:15 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
IT due to personal circumstances and the fact that the other team had a star who was destroying us for most of the game. Now that Bird vs Nique game would be tougher for me to choose  ;D

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 11:29:02 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
With IT having just lost his baby sister, losing a teeth and having a lot of dental work, doing it on his sister's 23rd birthday, and then all the doubt he faces, even from Celtics fans....ITs performance was insane.

This was special.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 11:43:26 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
With the way Wall played, I was thinking more along the lines of how this ranks up there with Bird/Dominque in '88 or Pierce/Lebron in '08.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 11:47:37 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Isaiah. I didint think any Celtic would have a playoff performance on par with Rondos 44 point explosion against the Heat in the 2012 ECF for a long time - but here we are 5 years later and Thomas is showin us why he deserves to be MVP. Even with all the elite players having historical seasons this year - I still think IT4 should be MVP. Best player on a #1 seed team averaging nearly 30 points a game. I wonder how much playoff performances will factor in to the MVP race this season considering the awards aren't being given out for a few weeks..

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Good question. I went with IT. This could be recency bias but his complete domination of the 4th quarter and overtime was unbelievable. 

Although Pierce's numbers weren't far off. He had 19 in the 4th (to IT's 20) and didn't need overtime to complete the comeback.

The best part of asking this question is it prompted me to go back and watch highlights of that game and read this:
http://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=220525002
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 10:07:44 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
The crazy thing about the Pierce comeback game was how AWFUL the Celtics had played for the first 3 quarters of that game.  The 20 point deficit felt like they were down about 40 with how they were playing.  And then Antoine hyped up Pierce during the quarter break, and Pierce flipped a switch and went off.  The Wiz-Celts game was a more competitive and better played game for the first 3 quarters and then IT went off to further elevate an already great game.  They were both awesome to watch but very different viewing experiences.

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 10:08:44 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Also, Pierce vs LeBron in the 2008 semis game 7 should also be on the list.

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 10:40:30 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Isaiah. I didint think any Celtic would have a playoff performance on par with Rondos 44 point explosion against the Heat in the 2012 ECF for a long time - but here we are 5 years later and Thomas is showin us why he deserves to be MVP. Even with all the elite players having historical seasons this year - I still think IT4 should be MVP. Best player on a #1 seed team averaging nearly 30 points a game. I wonder how much playoff performances will factor in to the MVP race this season considering the awards aren't being given out for a few weeks..
Zero. I'm pretty sure the actual vote happens before the playoffs.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 10:53:11 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Partial to '02 ECF Game 3 because I was actually at the game but what IT did the other night was more impressive in my book.  Also, Tues night was a much better basketball game from beginning to end.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 11:05:32 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
It's really hard to avoid recency bias ... but I think the contextual factors surrounding IT's performance, plus the 'elite duel' against Wall aspect of it justify raising Isaiahs performance quite a bit.   It has to be compared to the Bird v 'Nique  and Pierce v Lebron games.

The only thing that tempers this is that it wasn't a series closer.  It was "only Game 2".  If this had been a series clincher -- especially a game 7 -- that would have put it off the charts.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 12:13:38 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I think IT's gets the edge a bit also because of the overall context of the team when the game was played -

paul's game and that comeback were fun but the team had no legit chance of winning a championship that year and the roster was gutted soon after, so i think of it as more of a blip in his career before the real winning started later.

with IT and the way we're set up w these Brooklyn picks there's just such a huge feeling of optimism now about the direction of the whole franchise that I think his epic one game performance has more meaning overall.

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 12:43:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd have to say IT.  incredible scoring performance. 

PP's was tremendous that but comeback was a team effort in shooting them back into the game. 

too bad this is limited to just the past 20 years.  curious how people would rate IT's performance against Bird's duel with Dominique in '88.  I'd give it to Bird due to the stakes of that game. 

Also would think about adding PP and/or Ray's performance against the Bulls in '09. 

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 12:45:03 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Zero. I'm pretty sure the actual vote happens before the playoffs.

It does. MVP, along with all other awards, has already been decided.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 01:03:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
The fact that we ended up losing that series to the Nets somehow taints the comparison for me.

IT.