Author Topic: Official CS Monkees Fan Thread  (Read 7058 times)

Official CS Monkees Fan Thread
« on: February 21, 2019, 04:04:11 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Hi, everyone.

I'm a huge fan of the Monkees and would love to connect with any and all other Monkeemaniacs who are on CS.

I've been thinking for a while about starting this thread, and I'm sad to say that what gave me the final push to start it is the sad news today of Peter Tork's death at age 77 (cause of death hasn't been released, but many are surmising cancer, since he'd dealt with that previously). I had, of course, been hoping for his health to improve for his own sake, and for the sake of his loved ones, but I admit that I also had been hoping that the three remaining Monkees—Peter, Mike, and Micky—would be able to put together another album, especially after the success of 2016's Good Times! and last fall's Christmas Party.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Re: Official CS Monkees Fan Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 04:33:14 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 717
I liked the Monkees and the Dave Clark Five over the Beatles  - never one to follow the sheep.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 05:01:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I loved the Monkees music from the television show. Then I found out that the Monkees weren't a band but just a bunch of actors playing a band on TV. I still liked the music but kinda lost any interest in them as a band.

We're they Milli Vanilli before Milli Vanilli?

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 05:13:39 PM »

• Satch Sanders
I loved the Monkees music from the television show. Then I found out that the Monkees weren't a band but just a bunch of actors playing a band on TV. I still liked the music but kinda lost any interest in them as a band.

Well, not quite, because Milli Vanilli (IIRC) didn't even do their own singing, but lip-synched everything. The Monkees really sang, but they had studio musicians doing most of the instrumentation—but that was only on their first two albums (The Monkees and More of the Monkees); beginning with their third album, Headquarters, they did most of the playing as well as the singing.

Two of the Monkees—Mike Nesmith and Peter Tork—were already accomplished musicians when they got picked for the Monkees. Davy Jones and Micky Dolenz were actor/singers, but they also learned to play instruments after joining the Monkees. The band needed a drummer—because even though they had studio musicians for the albums, the four guys had to play some of the instruments when they did concerts—so Micky learned the drums, as well as some guitar. Davy also learned guitar and bass, and a bit of drums, but his main instrumental contribution was "other percussion"—tambourine, maracas, etc.

All of that to say, if you liked the songs on the show, you'll like much of the rest of their vast catalog—they've done a total of 13 studio albums (9 in the original run, 4 during their reunion years of the mid-'80s to the present), and their label also released, back in the '80s and '90s, three albums of previously unreleased material from their original run, which have some awesome tracks on them.

The Monkees story is actually quite fascinating. The fact that they did not form "organically" makes their success, in my opinion, even more amazing.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 05:14:46 PM »

• Satch Sanders
I liked the Monkees and the Dave Clark Five over the Beatles  - never one to follow the sheep.

I don't want to turn this into a "bash the Beatles" thread, but I've always far preferred the Monkees to the Beatles. In fact, I've never really gotten into the Beatles despite multiple attempts.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 05:52:03 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Sad news.  My wife is especially bummed as Peter was her favorite monkee.  Remembered watching the tv show as a kid and always enjoyed the music.  One of the best shows I ever saw live was a free show they did (minus peter) at the hatch shell back in the early 2000's.  Went into it with moderate expectations, but was completely blown away by the versatility, musicianship, and showmanship of the band. 

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 06:04:30 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Sad news.  My wife is especially bummed as Peter was her favorite monkee.  Remembered watching the tv show as a kid and always enjoyed the music.  One of the best shows I ever saw live was a free show they did (minus peter) at the hatch shell back in the early 2000's.  Went into it with moderate expectations, but was completely blown away by the versatility, musicianship, and showmanship of the band.

I never had the pleasure of going to one of their shows—I was basically too young during their mid-'80s revival, then lost track of them for many years, and got back into them only last spring. I'm glad you loved their show!

Peter, in my opinion, was their best musician—he could play guitar, bass, banjo, and anything with keys—piano, keyboard, chamberlin, melotron, you name it.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 07:34:05 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I liked the Monkees and get this: When I was stationed at Travis AFB, CA 76-79 we traveled into San Francisco with my sister-in-law and brother-in-law and we went to a Chinese restaurant in the afternoon. Brother-in-law says hey that guy looks like a Monkee. We all told him to quiet down and not to say that and he say, no he looks like a Monkee. We take a look and it's Davy Jones and Mickey Dolenz and a couple others that were not Monkees. My wife and sister-in-law both got a kiss from Davy Jones and we got a couple pics. Cool.

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 07:43:24 PM »

• Satch Sanders
I liked the Monkees and get this: When I was stationed at Travis AFB, CA 76-79 we traveled into San Francisco with my sister-in-law and brother-in-law and we went to a Chinese restaurant in the afternoon. Brother-in-law says hey that guy looks like a Monkee. We all told him to quiet down and not to say that and he say, no he looks like a Monkee. We take a look and it's Davy Jones and Mickey Dolenz and a couple others that were not Monkees. My wife and sister-in-law both got a kiss from Davy Jones and we got a couple pics. Cool.

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 08:02:30 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
Mike mom invented the white-out or Liquid paper u put on paper to cover a mistake!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 08:19:56 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
Loved the Monkees, but they were no Beatles.  They were also no Milli Vanilli — Mickey and Davey were legit singers. some serious tunes that have stood the test of time. I’m a Beliver (Neil Diamond) is among best of the era.

awful TV show.

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 08:28:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My favorite, besides the theme of the TV show which, once I heard it as a kid, I sang it all day, will always be Daydream Believer.

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 11:03:49 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Loved the Monkees, but they were no Beatles.  They were also no Milli Vanilli — Mickey and Davey were legit singers. some serious tunes that have stood the test of time. I’m a Beliver (Neil Diamond) is among best of the era.

awful TV show.

In the spirit of peace that the late Peter Tork espoused, I'm gonna let these comments slide. For now. ;)

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 07:02:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Both Naismith and Tork could play well and worked as musicians.

Of the final four, Nesmith was the only one who actually saw the ad in Daily Variety and The Hollywood Reporter. Tork, the last to be chosen, had been working the Greenwich Village scene as a musician, and had shared the stage with Pete Seeger; he learned of The Monkees from Stephen Stills, whom Rafelson and Schneider had rejected as a songwriter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monkees

But I agree overall , TP for the laugh.

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 08:49:01 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

awful TV show.
Thanks for pointing out that Diamond wrote that song, it's such classic Neil Diamond composition.

Lip-syncing during concerts was commonplace in those days, but good to know they sang their own on the records.