Author Topic: Celtics (37-21) vs Bucks (43-14) Game #59 2/21/19  (Read 39610 times)

Re: Celtics (37-21) vs Bucks (43-14) Game #59 2/21/19
« Reply #600 on: February 21, 2019, 10:48:20 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 717
That was a tough shot.  I think we could have drawn up something better than that.

If Stevens draws up a good out-of-bounds play with a couple of screens and the ball goes to the open shooter, Kyrie gets angry if it's not him. So Brad, being afraid of Irving like he is, gives him the ball and lets Kyrie try an impossible 1-on-3 shot.
When has what you described ever actually occurred?

Orlando game
You mean the shot that was a) not open and b) not the designed shot, but a result of Hayward’s mistake?

Kyrie only gets upset when the set is ignored. He’s even facilitated game winners, but that doesn’t fit your hilarious narrative of Brad being “afraid” of Kyrie

Hayward clearly stated after the Orlando game that they had worked on that specific out-of-bounds play in practice and that one of the first options was to go to Tatum, who had hit the shot in practice. I miss the days when Stevens came up with creative last-second plays that no one saw coming - but now everyone knows who is getting the ball - for fear of a post-game tantrum.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #601 on: February 21, 2019, 10:49:20 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1351
Letting pgs have the last shot from a throw in... less than 5 sec

Is bad coaching. Unless the pg is tall/long

Tatum should have been given the ball

I think it was supposed to go to Morris as they knew kyrie would be doubled but a Bucks player pushed him to the ground as they were inbounding the ball and Kyrie got it in a bad position.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #602 on: February 21, 2019, 10:49:26 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Taking the glass half full on this one. Irving was off for most of the game, Hayward/Baynes didn't play. We gave the team with the best point differential in the league a run for their money with their full squad on their own court.

Compared to the Lakers/Clippers losses, this one doesn't sting nearly as much.

It does, however, make those Lakers/Clippers losses sting even more. Cs have really shot themselves in the foot this year when it comes to playoff positioning.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #603 on: February 21, 2019, 10:49:26 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Looks like the ply was a back foor cut to Morris but Middleton grabbed Morris and got away with one.

« Reply #604 on: February 21, 2019, 10:49:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
You got to pass it. No hero ball. Kyrie is a good player and is fun to watch. But I don't think he is good for this team.

Really???

Come on man. Even though he got off to a rough start, Kyrie played his ass off.

If we are going to nitpick, Kyrie is not the guy to do it with (at least not tonight.)

« Reply #605 on: February 21, 2019, 10:49:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Letting pgs have the last shot from a throw in... less than 5 sec

Is bad coaching. Unless the pg is tall/long

Tatum should have been given the ball
Yeah, too bad we just have some PG.
That must be why Curry never gets a last shot, especially before Durant. Or why Damian Lillard never does either. Same with IT. Can even go further back a bit to Gilbert Arenas and AI, short guys who never succeeded with the last shot.

Gimme a break
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #606 on: February 21, 2019, 10:50:39 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642
Frustrating game.  Brown and Tatum were the only ones who shot well.  Horford shot poorly from the field but put in a hell of a game otherwise.  Kyrie shot 5/19 from inside the arc... not sure that ever happened in his entire career before tonight.  Just couldn't buy a bucket for most of the night. 

I feel like he needs to do a better job of distributing on nights when his shot isn't on.  Try going through Tatum for a while.  I'd rather we not run too much iso, but if that's what we're doing then I'd rather have Tatum against Brogdon than a cold Irving against the entire Bucks defense.  They overplayed him all night and he played into their hands. 

I don't know how you guard Giannis.  He bulls through anybody who defends him.  If you match his physicality, the whistle blows.  He's becoming a good enough passer that he can now punish you for packing the paint by finding one of his shooters.  Add in his defense and rebounding and you're probably looking at the best player in the league right now.  Playoff Lebron might still be better, but Regular Season Lebron isn't... not anymore. 

All of that said, I thought our intensity was there.  Good game.  We came up short.  Let's get the next one.

« Reply #607 on: February 21, 2019, 10:51:03 PM »

Offline gunrock210

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
I need Stevens to blow up once in awhile to try and get some make up calls. The FT difference has been bad in alot of games this season

« Reply #608 on: February 21, 2019, 10:51:19 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Looks like the ply was a back foor cut to Morris but Middleton grabbed Morris and got away with one.

Don't worry - at least we'll get the 2-minute report highlighting how bad the NBA's officiating. At least there's transparency!  ::)

Crap like that should have to be replayed. We're in the bonus there (I believe), so a foul leads to two free throws. That's a legit game-altering bad no-call that should have to be replayed.

« Reply #609 on: February 21, 2019, 10:51:29 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I am sure we'll hear about it tomorrow in the NBA's final 2 minute official report, which won't mean jack.

For me, the silver lining is this game showed we can hang with Milwaukee. Tough loss, but not one to be ashamed of. The Celts played hard.

« Reply #610 on: February 21, 2019, 10:52:05 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Eventhough I think it may have been a tough pass, it probably was the better basketball play. Just watch film and move on. Also have to play Jaylen more

I don't know that they need to watch anything. They need to just make shots at a better rate.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #611 on: February 21, 2019, 10:52:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
That was a tough shot.  I think we could have drawn up something better than that.

If Stevens draws up a good out-of-bounds play with a couple of screens and the ball goes to the open shooter, Kyrie gets angry if it's not him. So Brad, being afraid of Irving like he is, gives him the ball and lets Kyrie try an impossible 1-on-3 shot.
When has what you described ever actually occurred?

Orlando game
You mean the shot that was a) not open and b) not the designed shot, but a result of Hayward’s mistake?

Kyrie only gets upset when the set is ignored. He’s even facilitated game winners, but that doesn’t fit your hilarious narrative of Brad being “afraid” of Kyrie

Hayward clearly stated after the Orlando game that they had worked on that specific out-of-bounds play in practice and that one of the first options was to go to Tatum, who had hit the shot in practice. I miss the days when Stevens came up with creative last-second plays that no one saw coming - but now everyone knows who is getting the ball - for fear of a post-game tantrum.
Rofl, whatever man. It's not like there have been any good ATO plays when Kyrie is in the game ::)

Hilarious.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #612 on: February 21, 2019, 10:52:29 PM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
The Kyrie hate is funny, seriously funny to me.

Like I get it, he is a bit of a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. with a dangerous ego - but this idea that isn't an absolutely awesome baller I just can't take seriously.

I also get the concerns people have around giving him a max deal, and his injury history, and I will listen to argument (and I do) that we should let him walk. But these attacks flying around here smack of irrational hatred based on completely normal frustration.

Everyone need to chill the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. out. End rant.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #613 on: February 21, 2019, 10:52:31 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
Taking the glass half full on this one. Irving was off for most of the game, Hayward/Baynes didn't play. We gave the team with the best point differential in the league a run for their money with their full squad on their own court.

Compared to the Lakers/Clippers losses, this one doesn't sting nearly as much.

It does, however, make those Lakers/Clippers losses sting even more. Cs have really shot themselves in the foot this year when it comes to playoff positioning.

I don't think the C's were ever gonna get the #2 seed after those early losses and the Raptors kept distancing themselves from the 3-seed.

The C's need to fight for the #3 seed. Take down whoever is #6 and then steal home-court advantage from Toronto. I fully believe that they will be able to beat the Raptors anywhere.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #614 on: February 21, 2019, 10:52:41 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Don't worry - at least we'll get the 2-minute report highlighting how bad the NBA's officiating. At least there's transparency!  ::)

Crap like that should have to be replayed. We're in the bonus there (I believe), so a foul leads to two free throws. That's a legit game-altering bad no-call that should have to be replayed.

I literally posted the same thing as you at the same time (lol.)