Poll

What happens

Yes. They're in the playoffs
36 (51.4%)
No. They will miss playoffs
34 (48.6%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Will Lebron's Lakers Even Make the Playoffs? (poll)  (Read 13910 times)

Re: Will Lebron's Lakers Even Make the Playoffs? (poll)
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2019, 10:21:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Lebron has never lost in the 1st round of the playoffs and he has only missed the playoffs his first 2 seasons.

So with that in mind, what is better for Lebron's legacy, to miss the playoffs or to make the playoffs but get hammered by the Warriors in the 1st round?  In other words, is Lebron better off keeping his playoff streak alive or his 2nd round streak alive where his legacy is concerned?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2019, 10:30:04 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Lebron has never lost in the 1st round of the playoffs and he has only missed the playoffs his first 2 seasons.

So with that in mind, what is better for Lebron's legacy, to miss the playoffs or to make the playoffs but get hammered by the Warriors in the 1st round?  In other words, is Lebron better off keeping his playoff streak alive or his 2nd round streak alive where his legacy is concerned?

I think in the grand scheme of things in judging his legacy, neither is going to move the needle.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2019, 10:32:24 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
They have some weird incentives this year - making the playoffs is very unlikely to get them far, and missing it helps them add another decent asset to an Anthony Davis package. But LeBron and the franchise expect better and would be embarrassed by missing out; if they plan on hanging on to some of those young guys getting them some playoff experience would be good for their development too.

I think they'll squeak it out unless LeBron is still hurt, but it wouldn't surprise me based on LeBron's history of giving up on lost causes if they kinda did a shadow tank to stay in the lottery.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:01:51 AM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2019, 11:00:51 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I’m hoping they finish at least ahead of the Kings (for our pick), but not above the Clippers to push them out of the playoffs.  It’s gonna be close and stressful for us picks wise.

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2019, 11:21:48 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think the Lakers are on a soft tank, and will miss the playoffs, which will make their pick more valuable than the Kings' pick.

There is no way the Lakers can get past the first round as the 8th seed vs. GSW. 

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2019, 11:34:32 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

I think in the grand scheme of things in judging his legacy, neither is going to move the needle.

Personally, I only think extreme winning/playoff success moves the needle, something LeBron isn't anywhere near.  We're talking Bill Russell 11 NBA championships in 13 years, 2 NCAA championships in 3 years, levels of success.  Obviously this has helped Russell's legacy.

But for everybody else, as long as you have some championship pedigree, it doesn't really matter.

Does anybody think less of Kobe because he missed the playoffs in '05 and got eliminated in the first round in '06 and '07?  Or Duncan who got eliminated in the first round in '09, '11, '15.  Magic and Kareem both lost in the first round in '81.  Kareem didn't make the playoffs in '75 (missed a few games and team was 3-14 without him, 35-30 with him) or '76 (healthy), and had a first round knockout in '78.  Bird, still All-NBA 2nd team level, got knocked out in the first round in '90. Hakeem missed the playoffs in '91, and had many first round knockouts ('85, '88, '89, '90, '91, '98, '99, '02).  And some of these are guys who get some argument for greatest all time, but all are at least universally considered top-3, top-5, top-10, top-15 all time.

Either way, sure the talking heads might bring it up the next day after it happens, but afterwards it won't really be considered when it comes to legacy.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2019, 11:40:10 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

Personally, I only think extreme winning/playoff success moves the needle, something LeBron isn't anywhere near.  We're talking Bill Russell 11 NBA championships in 13 years, 2 NCAA championships in 3 years, levels of success.  Obviously this has helped Russell's legacy.

But for everybody else, as long as you have some championship pedigree, it doesn't really matter.

Does anybody think less of Kobe because he missed the playoffs in '05 and got eliminated in the first round in '06 and '07?  Or Duncan who got eliminated in the first round in '09, '11, '15.  Magic and Kareem both lost in the first round in '81.  Kareem didn't make the playoffs in '75 (missed a few games and team was 3-14 without him, 35-30 with him) or '76 (healthy), and had a first round knockout in '78.  Bird, still All-NBA 2nd team level, got knocked out in the first round in '90. Hakeem missed the playoffs in '91, and had many first round knockouts ('85, '88, '89, '90, '91, '98, '99, '02).  And some of these are guys who get some argument for greatest all time, but all are at least universally considered top-3, top-5, top-10, top-15 all time.

Either way, sure the talking heads might bring it up the next day after it happens, but afterwards it won't really be considered when it comes to legacy.

Yup.  That was my thought.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2019, 12:05:15 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
If they can't get to the 7 th seed

Then i predict a tank to take them out of the playoffs all together .

Lebron rather tank to improve the pick than get throttled by GS.

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2019, 09:00:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

yeah but you are splitting hairs between players at James' level.  Personally I think the fact that he has never lost in the 1st round is a pretty big separator for him when splitting those hairs

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2019, 01:10:26 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736

yeah but you are splitting hairs between players at James' level.  Personally I think the fact that he has never lost in the 1st round is a pretty big separator for him when splitting those hairs

But anybody who thinks winning fewer games is better than winning more games is being silly, I think.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2019, 01:14:47 PM »

Online satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 134
Lebron is worth several games a year due to the favorable officiating.

« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2019, 01:16:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

But anybody who thinks winning fewer games is better than winning more games is being silly, I think.
regular season wins do nothing from a historical perspective

« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2019, 01:22:40 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736

regular season wins do nothing from a historical perspective

You do understand that regular season wins is what determines a playoff berth, yes?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2019, 03:08:32 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, they're off to a GREAT start, so far...

If they mess around and make it to the Finals and WE are waiting for them?

I'd be afraid...VERY afraid..

I'm serious.

Until we can prove that Kyrie can step up against Rondo, LeBron and The Lakers I am DEAD serious about our chances against LA in a seven game series in June.

Rajon Rondo is messing around and fixing to become a modern-day Andrew Toney against us.

The Boston Strangler Part Deux.

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2019, 04:28:07 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Well, they're off to a GREAT start, so far...

If they mess around and make it to the Finals and WE are waiting for them?

I'd be afraid...VERY afraid..

I'm serious.

Until we can prove that Kyrie can step up against Rondo, LeBron and The Lakers I am DEAD serious about our chances against LA in a seven game series in June.

Rajon Rondo is messing around and fixing to become a modern-day Andrew Toney against us.

The Boston Strangler Part Deux.

Very bizarre post...