Author Topic: 2024 Draft  (Read 14373 times)

Re: 2024 Draft
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2024, 02:33:58 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
They need a real minor league and at least 1 more round, maybe 2. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2024, 02:43:44 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3203

Agreed. The players are coming way too raw to play any kind of role in the NBA. It's why I like older guys that have worked on their skills coming in: Bane, Pritchard, Hauser... were all guys I wanted us to pick... Upside for starters but developed skills for role players. Sometimes you get lucky and get both.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 12:10:55 PM by liam »

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2024, 02:54:22 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
I'm betting that Brad will just trade down to save money

If it helps us extend Derrick White with even a marginal amount of savings, I’m all for it.

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2024, 04:35:16 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 939
Boston had the best record in the NBA by seven games with a 64-18 record so they will hold the No. 30 overall draft pick in the first round in June. Brad Stevens has yet to make a first-round selection during his tenure as team president of basketball operations over the past three years so it will be interesting to see whether that trend will continue in 2024.

The one pick that was impacted during Monday’s tiebreaker was a second-round selection that Boston had previously acquired via the Dallas Mavericks (through Sacramento). Boston picked up the extra pick on draft night in 2023 for trading down in the second round. The Knicks and Mavericks finished tied with their regular season records and the Mavericks won the tiebreaker to finish ahead of New York in the first round at No. 24.

The NBA flips-flops the draft order of ties in the second round so Boston’s draft pick (via Dallas) in the second round will drop one slot lower. However, the team does get bumped up to No. 54 overall since the Philadelphia 76ers (No. 48) had to forfeit their second-round pick as a penalty for free agency tampering.

Boston also sent out their own second-round pick (No. 58) previously as part of compensation to the Hornets to create a TPE in the Gordon Hayward sign-and-trade in 2020. Boston also traded away what ended up being the No. 41 overall pick to the Philadelphia 76ers for young guard Jaden Springer.

The next key night for the NBA Draft will during the May 12 lottery, which will officially set the draft order for the top 14 teams. From there, the 2024 NBA Draft will be held on June 26th in what will be a two-night event for the first time with the second round being held on night two.

So, #30 and #54.

I still can't get over the fact they're trying to stretch this thing over two days now.

They literally picked the worst year to do it lol. I’m not even sure I’m watching round one this year.

Tankathon has us taking Ulrich Chomche and I'm going to watch, simply because that's such a great name.

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2024, 04:47:41 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 482
I'd love a 4 round draft with teams able to pick guys for their g league roster.  If they don't have the room they can just pass on the pick.  Increase the G League Roster size to 13-15 as well.  If the drafted player wants to play overseas versus the g league they can and the team keeps their rights like a 2nd round pick. 

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2024, 04:48:50 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 482
I'm betting that Brad will just trade down to save money

If it helps us extend Derrick White with even a marginal amount of savings, I’m all for it.

I'd be ok if they traded the pick for a protected 1st next year.  But IMO they need to start drafting cheap talent to develop.  These 2nd rounders rarely make it.

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2024, 01:30:07 PM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

Agreed. The players are coming way too raw to play any kind of role in the NBA. It's why I like older guys that have worked on their skills coming in: Bane, Pritchard, Hauser... were all guys I wanted us to pick... Up side for starts but developed skills for role players. Sometimes you get lucky and get both.

I find the prospect age debate interesting. Out of curiosity I looked up last season 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team all nba players their ages at the draft and what pick they where selected with. 

pick   age at draft
Giannis   15   18.5
Tatum   3   19.3
Embiid   3   20.2
SGA          11   19.9
Luka            3   19.3

Jokic           41   19.3
Mitchel   13   20.7
Curry   7   21.2
Butler   30   21.7
Brown   3   19.6

Sabonis   11   20.1
Fox            5   19.5
Lillard   6   21.9
Randle    7   19.5
James   1   18.4

The oldest players are still all under the age of 22 at the time of the draft.

Looking at the Cs current rotation Tatum, Brown, KP, and Holiday where all 19 when drafted. Al was 21, White + Pritchard + Kornet where all 22, and Hauser was 23.

My thoughts are that in general if a team drafts a player over 22 they should be confident that he can fit a role very early in his career and his ceiling is likely low. Development may come in the form of transitioning into a role player as opposed to a high usage college role but large developmental leaps should not be expected. When drafting younger players there seems to be more room for larger jumps in development. This may come in the form of physical development from still teens ( Tatum is a prime example) or skill development (Jaylen browns 3pt shot from high school to college to not is a prime example).

BS has favored the young raw developmental prospects in his 3 drafts as GM. Begarin, Davison, and Walsh all where drafted as teens with + physical and athletic profiles who needed/need to be developed to reach their high ceilings. Based on the Walsh and Davison picks I would wager that BS has a preference for blue chip prospects (both where highly ranked out of HS) who have the physical tools to reach an all-star or near all-star level this includes outlier length.

This draft in the late 1st / early 2nd really seems void of the young athletically gifted raw prospects.

I do think the older prospects are very valuable and may see their value in the current CBA. However this value will probably come for teams who have a set top 5-6 man rotation that's eating a large junk of their cap and they need to round out roles 7-12.

Players like Terrence Shannon 23, Tyler Kolek 23, or Cam Spencer 24 could all potentially plug into rotational roles and help teams next season. 

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2024, 03:48:41 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
Interesting that Juhann Begarin is still just 21. He doesn’t turn 22 until August, but he hasn’t developed his shot at all since the Celtics drafted him. He’s hitting under 30% from 3. I don’t know if that would be any different if he had spent time in Maine instead of France, but he’s not going to be an NBA player without a better shooting percentage. His athleticism and defense is still pretty good. Steals, blocks and rebounds are all decent for his position.

I guess he decided Euroleague money was better than having a Jaden Springer or Romeo Langford level NBA career?

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2024, 11:05:04 AM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Diving further into the draft I have come away really interested in Izan Almansa as a Celtics target.

He is a 6'9 / 6'10 big who will have just turned 19 at draft night and is one of the most decorated Euro prospects ever. Having been named U17, U18, and U19 FIBA MVP

https://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2023/news/is-izan-almansa-the-most-successful-youth-player-in-history

This was an interesting game to watch (admittedly I didn't have time to watch entire game). This features Almansa going head to head against Sarr. France also had playing Sarr's teammates Risacher (projected top 10) and Ajinca (potnetial 1st round pick who I really like)

https://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2023/game/2506/Spain-France

He went on to play for the G-League inginte and he statistically struggled. I am leaning toward the lack of structure and guard play hurt him on this team.

As a developmental prospect I see a lot of Al Horford in his game with a more refined post game. He shows some flashing off the dribble especially on dribble hand off fakes.  While he doesn't jump off the screen as an athlete he moves well and has enough vertical pop at the rim to finish in traffic. Defensively like Al I think he will be able to move laterally quick enough to successfully switch onto smaller players in the NBA.

His swing skill will be his outside shot. He currently isn't a shooter but at such a young age I would gamble on his developing a reliable spot up jumper. With out the shot I am comfortable that Izan is a rotational big who can provide playoff minutes with a couple of seasons of development.     
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet