Author Topic: Is kemba a bad shooter/Scorer?  (Read 2847 times)

Is kemba a bad shooter/Scorer?
« on: October 24, 2020, 10:58:28 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Kemba is an exciting player to watch on the offensive side of the court, however is he a bad/ineffective scorer? His career statistics:
Reg Season-FG:41.9% 3P: 36%.  FT:83.7%
Post-Season-FG:42%   3P: 33.7%     FT: 86%

As a comparison,  Tatum in the regular season: FG% is 45.7 and  3P% 40.1. Jaylen Brown FG% is 48.1 and 3P% of 38.2 . Hayward is at FG% 45.1 and 3P% of 36.6.

For a player who is an average passer and below average defender/rebounder is Kemba really a better option than a player like Victor Olidipo whose  career FG% is 44.1 and 3p% of 35? He’s also a 6’4”, two way player that is several years younger. Even Myles Turner who has been discussed at length in potential trades career FG% is 48.8% and his 3P% is 35.7. 

I like Kemba and he plays with a lot of heart, but his game seems inefficient . Is he really a player that is going to help the Celtics going forward?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Is kemba a bad shooter/Scorer?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 11:24:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
For the past four seasons, he’s been quite efficient, with a minimum of .511 eFG% / 35.6% 3PT shooting each season.  He lacked efficiency in his early years, but turned a corner several years ago.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 01:43:57 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I remember him tanking my FG% in fantasy but that was a long time ago. He’s not a bad scorer at all and he can carry a team offensively if needed.

With Tatum’s ascent to superstardom though, Kemba (imo) becomes the clear #2 for me. But that’s not a knock on him. It just shows how amazing Tatum is.
- LilRip

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 01:48:42 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I remember him tanking my FG% in fantasy but that was a long time ago. He’s not a bad scorer at all and he can carry a team offensively if needed.

With Tatum’s ascent to superstardom though, Kemba (imo) becomes the clear #2 for me. But that’s not a knock on him. It just shows how amazing Tatum is.

I would even put Jaylen ahead of Kemba
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 02:54:33 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Over the last few years, no
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 05:53:45 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I really do believe Kemba knee is bothering him big time last season or u would had seen a different player
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 06:39:37 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
A couple of people on here did bring up his efficiency as did some in the national media when he signed. Put up against some elite players it's not very good. The statistics and metrics are a big reason some were against his signing, including myself. I went through a whole comp of the numbers. I even had a "hot take" that seems very likely now. Despite all the takes and even possibly being right it still doesn't matter. For the majority it's not about the personal numbers but the team sum post Irving. Since day one Kemba only had to do one thing to be a good signing, "fit better than Irving". Even subpar numbers will be defended.

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 07:50:33 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
A couple of people on here did bring up his efficiency as did some in the national media when he signed. Put up against some elite players it's not very good. The statistics and metrics are a big reason some were against his signing, including myself. I went through a whole comp of the numbers. I even had a "hot take" that seems very likely now. Despite all the takes and even possibly being right it still doesn't matter. For the majority it's not about the personal numbers but the team sum post Irving. Since day one Kemba only had to do one thing to be a good signing, "fit better than Irving". Even subpar numbers will be defended.
Kemba's EFG% has roughly been within ~1% of the league average over the last few years. Obviously it's not elite, but it's better than IT was except for his near-MVP season, and as you mention, his fit, chemistry, leadership and attitude in general makes up for it IMO.

Kemba was the most efficient of any of our point guards!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 08:39:07 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Kemba's EFG% has roughly been within ~1% of the league average over the last few years. Obviously it's not elite, but it's better than IT was except for his near-MVP season, and as you mention, his fit, chemistry, leadership and attitude in general makes up for it IMO.

I would hope that he’s the most efficient of the Celtics point guards lol, but the bar isn’t exactly set very high. So he’s within 1% of the league average and is making $30M+ a year. I don’t feel great about that. I get that he is a good locker room guy but is average shooting/passing and below average defense and rebounding  going to help the Celtics more than a two way player like Victor Olidipo? Kemba is arguably the 3rd option behind Tatum and Brown. Again, I enjoy watching Him as much as I when IT was In Boston and for  the record, I’d prefer keeping Kemba over Hayward if one of those guy has to go.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 08:46:53 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I would hope that he’s the most efficient of the Celtics point guards lol, but the bar isn’t exactly set very high. So he’s within 1% of the league average and is making $30M+ a year. I don’t feel great about that. I get that he is a good locker room guy but is average shooting/passing and below average defense and rebounding  going to help the Celtics more than a two way player like Victor Olidipo? Kemba is arguably the 3rd option behind Tatum and Brown. Again, I enjoy watching Him as much as I when IT was In Boston and for  the record, I’d prefer keeping Kemba over Hayward if one of those guy has to go.

If the opportunity is there, I’d love to add Oladipo, and stick him next to Kemba.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2020, 09:42:18 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

If the opportunity is there, I’d love to add Oladipo, and stick him next to Kemba.

If the opportunity is to trade Hayward+ filler+1 or 2 first Rd picks, for Olidipo and Turner wouldn’t it make the most sense to do so and add the depth at the guard and C position. Feel like a lot of people forget that Turner is only 24 as well.. I would feel comfortable with a Walker/Olidipo/Brown/Tatum/Turner lineup with Smart/Langford/Williams/Theis bench.

Also. Wouldn’t a trade with Indiana be the only way to trade Hayward without it looking terrible, allowing the Celtics to save face. He gets to go home to Indiana and play for a pretty good team and Boston gets needed pieces for a championship run.

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 10:03:14 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Kemba was hovering around 58-60% in TS before his knee injury, which translates to a pretty good +2-4% rTS on decent volume. He's not Stephen Curry when it comes to scoring volume and efficiency, but he's in line with typical top 20-30 guards.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 10:18:32 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Here's Kemba's shooting stats by year from Basketball-reference. The League Shooting % is just the % for the entire league, regardless of position. The League-Adjusted number is what % above average the player is, with 100 being the average. So his eFG is just around the league average over the past 4 years, but that includes players shooting at the rim. If you look at his 3FG% league adjusted he is a little bit above average but certainly not bad.

If you want to compare him against the true guns, here are his adjusted shooting numbers compared to some other players in his position.

For an explanation of the League Shooting and League Adjusted metric click here:
https://www.sports-reference.com/blog/2020/06/adjusted-shooting-stats-added-to-basketball-reference/#:~:text=These%20figures%20are%20obtained%20by,then%20multiplying%20it%20by%20100.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2020, 10:38:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
No?

He's got weaknesses but shooting and scoring, broadly speaking, are not among them.

No, hes not going to score 25 pts a game in a playoff series if the opponent builds their defensive scheme around stopping him, but if that's your criteria for being "not bad" as a shooter / scorer, there aren't many players in the league who qualify.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 03:25:00 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Great scorer, just wasn't healthy in this year's Playoffs.