Author Topic: Something thats been bothering me about the blog. (Ads)  (Read 23310 times)

Something thats been bothering me about the blog. (Ads)
« on: June 23, 2009, 11:05:14 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I hope this is the right place to make a complaint like this. But the ads on this website have become more and more annoying. I know its SB Nation that choses these ads and theres little you guys can do about it. But the interactive ads if feel take it to far. I usually have multiple tabs open on my computer, and this is one of those sites I always have open. And theres nothing more annoying then listening to a good song, and have it be interupted by an ad that you can't locate.

I guess this is a complaint of the direction the internet is taking. Its just becoming alot less free and more commercial, and its innevitable, but it just bothers me.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:54:05 PM by Jeff »

Re: Something thats been bothering me about the blog.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 11:32:50 AM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
Hey man, you're not going to get much of an argument that advertisement that demands your attention is annoying, you are right that this is the direction that internet advertising is going.  In order to make the internet marketable, advertisers are still caught in a tug of war to stand out among internet content.  I bet, when you discovered the add that was making all the noise, you noticed what was being advertised.  Advertisers generally don't care whether they are annoying you or not so long as you notice them, it is up to those who are responsible for preserving the quality of this website to regulate such stuff, and I hope that they do.

I haven't encountered a CBlog add that has music yet, so I assume this is uncommon, and perhaps there is something that can be done to filter such advertisements on this site in the future.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 11:37:55 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I feel like the best way to describe the ads would be to say that

A) There are always going to be annoying ones. The number one thing I'd seen us address are indecent ones first, then ones that mess up the page scripts second, then annoying ones, in that order.

B) These skeevy internet advert people will find some way to interrupt your life no matter where you go. I suppose in a lot of ways its just part of the gig.

My biggest pet peeve with ads on here (and ESPN, they're terrible for it) are the roll over ads that I didn't even roll over but still take up 3/4 the room on the page.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 11:50:50 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
What browser? I haven't had any problems in firefox.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 11:58:46 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
My only compaint is all the obama ads
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 12:05:40 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
My only compaint is all the obama ads
::)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 12:33:08 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
I use internet explorer, and like 1 in 4 adds (the square ones) are these interactive adds that start playing, and theres no pause button or anything. And they start whenever im reading comments on the main page, fan posts, and if i just leave the homepage open.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 12:36:13 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 12:37:30 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I use internet explorer, and like 1 in 4 adds (the square ones) are these interactive adds that start playing, and theres no pause button or anything. And they start whenever im reading comments on the main page, fan posts, and if i just leave the homepage open.

I use Firefox at work, and Safari on my desktop and laptop and have 0 problems that your describing... As a matter of fact the only ads I ever notice on this site are the NESN ones.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 12:43:06 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
same J, give in to firefox!
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 12:47:28 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
Actually now that you mention it the problem started when i switch over from firefox to internet explorer, because i was having trouble with firefox, is there a third option for pc?

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 12:51:12 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Actually now that you mention it the problem started when i switch over from firefox to internet explorer, because i was having trouble with firefox, is there a third option for pc?

Trouble with firefox? Unusual... Try uninstalling and then reloading. There used to be Netscape but, well, that turned into Firfox. ;)

I heard rumblings about Safari becoming Windows compatible but I don't know if that ever happened.

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 12:54:55 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167

Trouble with firefox? Unusual... Try uninstalling and then reloading. There used to be Netscape but, well, that turned into Firfox. ;)

I heard rumblings about Safari becoming Windows compatible but I don't know if that ever happened.

Yeah, Safari works on Windows.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 12:56:12 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

Google Chrome  but it's very beta (and sends even more of your data to the Googlonian Empire relative to Firefox)

Pick your poison.
God bless and good night!

Re: Something thats been bothering me about the blog. (Ads)
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 12:58:28 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
it is my understanding with SBN that they don't intend to allow intrusive ads (expanding rollovers, playing music or sound, pop-ups, etc.)

if you see any, please take a screenshot of the ad and send it to me or one of the mods

we'll pass it along to SBN and try to play whack-a-mole with it

I noticed one that was all out of whack last night and they cleaned it up within hours

SBN contracts the ad management out to a 3rd party so they don't always catch everything with the ad filters, but they try to take care of things when we ask, so I can't complain about that (FYI: it would have been the same if I had remained independent)
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)