Author Topic: I have a hard time liking this team  (Read 6918 times)

Re: I have a hard time liking this team
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2021, 10:04:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This time the Thompson/Theis combo was really good. Have to say that Theis was improving the last couple of games anyway after a tough start.

To me their roles were reversed against the Cavs. This time Theis was playing C and Thompson was playing PF, where Theis was the rim protector and Thompson was more on the perimeter. It worked a lot better.

Thompson did a good job on defense and it was one of his better games, although his offense leaves a lot to be desired, he's definitely better in that role than Grant Williams who just seems to have lost all his confidence.

Robert Williams was wild, out of position a lot of times and looked to be exhausted pretty quickly, despite that he was productive with 9/6/3 in 15 minutes of play. Interesting to watch Jarrett Allen and Timelord together on the court and I think Timelord had the slight edge in his performance.
Jarrett Allen was in position for most of his defensive possessions and didn't look like he had run a marathon after the game despite playing more minutes, I'm not sure how Timelord edges Allen unless it's a competition for who performed worse or chased more blocks.
Yep.  Allen is a much better player than Williams right now.  I don't think it is particularly close and given they are roughly the same age, I would imagine Allen will continue to be the better player for the entirety of their careers.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2021, 10:10:53 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
This time the Thompson/Theis combo was really good. Have to say that Theis was improving the last couple of games anyway after a tough start.

To me their roles were reversed against the Cavs. This time Theis was playing C and Thompson was playing PF, where Theis was the rim protector and Thompson was more on the perimeter. It worked a lot better.

Thompson did a good job on defense and it was one of his better games, although his offense leaves a lot to be desired, he's definitely better in that role than Grant Williams who just seems to have lost all his confidence.

Robert Williams was wild, out of position a lot of times and looked to be exhausted pretty quickly, despite that he was productive with 9/6/3 in 15 minutes of play. Interesting to watch Jarrett Allen and Timelord together on the court and I think Timelord had the slight edge in his performance.
Jarrett Allen was in position for most of his defensive possessions and didn't look like he had run a marathon after the game despite playing more minutes, I'm not sure how Timelord edges Allen unless it's a competition for who performed worse or chased more blocks.
Yep.  Allen is a much better player than Williams right now.  I don't think it is particularly close and given they are roughly the same age, I would imagine Allen will continue to be the better player for the entirety of their careers.
have to agree.  Allen is what we'd hope Williams can become.  I don't get the love affair for Timelord.  sure he's an athletic big that makes the occasional splashy dunk and can provide some energy but his team D has not progressed much in 3 years.  Allen looks much better in his team's defensive scheme.

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2021, 11:36:12 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
We came to the point that Stevens  doesn't make us a better team than last year. No upgrade. Tatum is very close to Superstar caliber and Brown is incredible this year. Result? We still have the same problem. Smart has no plan to leave his primary-shooter role, we are very bad at closing games, strange lineups on court in final minutes are just some of things I can think of now. I feel like, if Ainge would add someone like Beal or similar, it still wouldn't change much our reach.

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2021, 01:50:42 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
We came to the point that Stevens  doesn't make us a better team than last year. No upgrade. Tatum is very close to Superstar caliber and Brown is incredible this year. Result? We still have the same problem. Smart has no plan to leave his primary-shooter role, we are very bad at closing games, strange lineups on court in final minutes are just some of things I can think of now. I feel like, if Ainge would add someone like Beal or similar, it still wouldn't change much our reach.

Must admit, I had a hard time watching as the Spurs took control in the 4th, as Brown and Tatum sat on the bench.

Watching Kemba and Smart taking turns going one on one was painful.