Poll

Which team is most likely to win the "fake" Northwest division in 2008-09?

Denver (Brand, Bibby, R. Jefferson, R. Bell,  Mutombo, etc.)
2 (6.9%)
Minnesota (Lebron, Calderon, R. Brewer, Amir Johnson, Biedrins, etc.)
5 (17.2%)
Oklahoma City (Beasley, Camby, Salmons, Crawford, Starbury, etc.)
0 (0%)
Portland (Amare, Iguodala, Gay, Horford, Ford, etc.)
22 (75.9%)
Utah  (Tmac, J.Johnson, Diop, Udrih, Aldridge, etc.)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Northwest Division  (Read 44783 times)

Re: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Northwest Division
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2008, 01:30:51 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Question for the T-Wolves:

I don't see this team as being structured all that differently than the current (real life) Cavs team - except for a much better option at point guard.  Now although i don't mean that in a critical way (cavs have been one of the most successfull and best defensive teams over the past few years), Bron Bron has not done anything in terms of silencing the rumors that suggest he wants to play in a big money market and surrounded by more talent. 

So my questions to you are: How long will LeBron be willing to wait for guys like Amir Johnson to turn the corner while freezing his butt off in 'Sota? What will keep teams from suffocating LeBron in double and triple teams when no one outside of him and calderon in the starting 5 can hit a jump shot?  Why not start Anthony Parker to alleviate this issue?

Thank you for the questions.

1) I feel this team, specifically the starters, are much more well rounded than the last two Cavaliers teams.  The biggest advantage my team has is another playmaker/dead-eye shooter in Jose Calderon.  I cannot stress how excited I am to watch him (in real life) next season.  Also, at this point in their careers, I like Biedrins more than Big Z.  He's obviously much younger, but is also much more mobile, a better overall rebounder, and better with the ball around the basket.  I like what Ronnie Brewer and Anthony Parker bring more than West/Szczberiak/Hughes and the other 2s that have cycled through Cleveland.  PF is our weakest spot in the starting 5, but I think Reggie Evans brings about the same to the table as Ben Wallace at this point, and think a year from now Amir Johnson could become an animal in the paint.  So overall, I like this team a lot better than the team LeBron has already taken to the finals and to the brink of knocking of the most recent champs.

2) For the sake of this hypothetical league, I can make an educated guess that I was assigned the Wolves because of my close rooting interest in them.  As such, I personally think desirability of location and market size are thrown out the door... otherwise you create a huge built-in advantage for the GMs that were given a big market team in a better location.  So to answer your question about LeBron leaving for big money.... no, that will not happen.  As far as the talent, I have spoken with him and he has continually reiterated his excitement at playing alongside Calderon and the still uber-young Biedrins, as well as some great young prospects and solid veterans.  He is more than willing to suffer through a couple mid-playoff seeds in search of the bigger picture down the line.

3)  The main answer to the double/triple team LeBron question is Jose Calderon.  He is the playmaker that LeBron has never had around him.  If teams want to double or triple LeBron off the ball, Calderon and Anthony Parker can make them pay from range or Calderon can get into the lane and cause havoc for a defense that is stacked to one side and trying to help on the quick point guard.  This would create ample opportunities for Biedrins and our other young bigs.  If teams wait to pounce on LeBron once he has the ball, we has firm instructions to utilize his God-given passing skills.  Teams would be wise not to leave Calderon or Parker (when in) open, Brewer has shown he can chip in very efficiently and knock down open mid-range Js, Biedrins finishes around the basket as good as anyone, and even Reggie Evans could score close in if left alone. 

4) The starting 2 decision is still up in the air.  As I mentioned, my toughest decision of the draft was Brewer vs. Parker, so clearly I am comfortable with Parker starting if need be.  It may in fact be the right move at this time, as he is as gritty and skilled a defender as Brewer is.  The primary argument to bring Parker off the bench is added scoring for the reserve unit. 

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2008, 01:39:55 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
Minnesota Timberwolves

PG - Jose Calderon
SG - Ronnie Brewer
SF - LeBron "The King" James
PF - Reggie Evans
C  - Andris Biedrins

Reserves:

PG - Keyon Dooling
SG - Anthony Parker
SF - Nicolas Batum
PF - Amir Johnson / Joey Dorsey
C - Aaron Gray / Javale McGee

Inactive:

PG - Ronnie Price
SG - Sonny Weems
SF - Mickael Gelabale

Overseas:

PG - Air Bud
C - Leonid Stadnik (8'6" and still growing.... and rumor has it he has a sweet face up J.  Yao, eat your heart out.)

Big Ticket, outside of perhaps Calderon, your starting five (and arguably your entire roster) features players known better for their defensive skills or are otherwise not capable of creating their own shots. Are you at all concerned that defenses will simply double- (or triple-) team LeBron and dare the rest of your squad to score? Unless King James can average 35 points+ a game this season, I have a hard time seeing this team winning many games.

Thanks for the question, Lucky.  Please reference my earlier answer to jgod regarding a similar topic:

3)  The main answer to the double/triple team LeBron question is Jose Calderon.  He is the playmaker that LeBron has never had around him.  If teams want to double or triple LeBron off the ball, Calderon and Anthony Parker can make them pay from range or Calderon can get into the lane and cause havoc for a defense that is stacked to one side and trying to help on the quick point guard.  This would create ample opportunities for Biedrins and our other young bigs.  If teams wait to pounce on LeBron once he has the ball, we has firm instructions to utilize his God-given passing skills.  Teams would be wise not to leave Calderon or Parker (when in) open, Brewer has shown he can chip in very efficiently and knock down open mid-range Js, Biedrins finishes around the basket as good as anyone, and even Reggie Evans could score close in if left alone.

Also, I really feel like some of you may be underestimating the sneakiness of Air Bud.  He has proven to have the skills, patience, quickness, and soft paws to play the point guard position.  He also can be anyone up the court and has the added 'slobber factor' to disrupt the footing of the opposition. 

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2008, 01:51:07 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Big Ticket:

1. Are you worried about a lack of offense from the 4 and 5 positions? Biedrens, Johnson, Evans have never been considered scorers?

2. Are you worried about using an undersized 4 (Evans) against PFs in your division such as Amare, Brand and Aldridge and your conference such as Dirk and Boozer?

« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2008, 01:52:39 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Well I had to vote for Portland for the best team. If that team can play together I just don't see any other team in that division being able to consistently beat them enough to take the division away from them. On the other hand the team I will be rooting for the most CLEARLY will be Redz' OKC Angry Pickles! That team is awesome. I'm TiVo-ing every game and hopefully going to a few. I'll be watching with baited breath that an ABA game is gonna break out everytime they play and I shudder to think at what Redz has lined up for halftime at every home game.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2008, 01:54:27 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Scribbles:

Do you feel you have a deep enough bench to compete with many of the teams in the West? How will you bench be utilized?

Redz: How do you respond to parent groups who are claiming your team logo is obscene and organizing protests?

« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Looking forward to the Nuggets PC, since I'm not sure what they have beyond that starting 5, which I believe could make some real noise in the division.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2008, 01:55:04 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
Big Ticket:

1. Are you worried about a lack of offense from the 4 and 5 positions? Biedrens, Johnson, Evans have never been considered scorers?

2. Are you worried about using an undersized 4 (Evans) against PFs in your division such as Amare, Brand and Aldridge and your conference such as Dirk and Boozer?

1) As it stands now, yes.  But LeBron gets so many points kamakazing towards the basket, that he masks a lot of post issues.  I think Amir Johnson is 1 year away from being a big contributor in the paint, and I think Biedrins will develop a more polished game outside of Nellie's frenetic offense.

2) The plan would be for Evans to muscle up Horford while Biedrins' length deals with Amare.  Brand is not much bigger than Evans (same thing for Boozer), Biedrins matches up with Aldridge fine.  Overall I think Evans, Biedrins, and the developing Johnson, Gray, McGee, and even the bull Dorsey, in combination, have enough size and/or strength to defend the post more than sufficiently.

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2008, 02:04:02 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
Question for the Twolves: how do you match up with Portland and Las Vegas on a going forward basis?

I don't want to go too much into it, but I've already expressed my opinions to you on how the league shaped out to be a 'most active GM wins'.  I'm really not trying to complain, just pointing out the facts.  I'm not looking to compete with the Blazer now, and the fact that you've built an entire team overseas, I don't know about the future either.  What I do know is that I will have the best player on the floor regardless of opponent, I have a pure point that I love, a 21 year old center that is already experienced beyond his years, and some very nice pieces around them.  In addition, I think at least one of my young prospects is poised for stardom and could give the Wolves as many as 4 players in All Star discussion by 2010.  As far as Las Vegas specifically, I think he is drastically overestimating Darko's abilities and he has no point guard capable of being a starter in my mind.  OJ and Durant are too similar and I think OJ should be moved for more of a true point guard if he has a good rookie season.  I love Bosh, love Durant, and think these two alone makes them a contender.  But with my high hopes for Amir Johnson, I think my team is more than equipped to handle Bosh, and LeBron is still better than Durant.  I like my future potential from top to bottom better than his team, even though he has the two best prospects of either team (Mayo and Durant).

« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2008, 02:11:06 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Can you explain your lack of faith in Portland a little more clearly?  I'm trying to be objective, but I think that they're pretty clearly the best team in their division.  They've got the best starters, they've got the second best player, and they've got the best bench.

You've stated several times that you're not sold on the Blazers.  I totally respect that, but I just don't understand your reasons. (I mean, you listed them outside your top-ten...  that doesn't make much sense to me).  Is it just a gut feeling, the fact that you don't like Amare, the fact that the starters are young, health concerns?

Yeah, I've been reluctant to make a long case, not wanting to overstate my argument in the face of general consensus. (That, and I'm not sure I've seen you concede a point yet ;)?) Also, I think you've heard it all already, by now. Veteran's win. The best player wins. Those two truisms, however tired, are still almost impossible to argue. (I will give you extra credit that these Blazers have the '76 Blazers to look to - the youngest team to ever win an NBA championship, averaging just 24.3 years of age.)

In my opinion (caveat: I'm sort of a crackpot) you played it too conservatively in the draft after putting yourself in a position to dominate the league, avoiding both veteran stars and unproven potential steals too a fault. Although I love each of your starters individually, I don't envision the same sort of team success you do. Too many deferential personalities, none of whom has ever shouldered a winning franchise, and yet somehow also too many scorers that will struggle to get their shot attempts in Portland. I think that whatever the defensive scheme a young team with an undersized front line and outmatched defenders at the 4 and 1 will make it hard on themselves in the playoffs. I also suspect that Iguodala and Gay are too similar on the ball. And, while opposing teams won't find a player in the starting five to double off, I can't see why defenses won't sag constantly, cutting off penetration and ruining the Blazers spacing.

Obviously, I don't consider Stoudemire a cornerstone player, "just" a unique offensive talent and a great comeback story. He's never been even the second strongest personality in Phoenix, and after Marion was dealt, in part to give Amare greater reign, the Suns underperformed against a weary Spurs team, 4-2. (Although, let me shoot myself in the foot right here, and admit I prefer Tracy McGrady, he of the historic playoff struggles.)

Now, that's only my badly one-sided Blazers smear job. You were in a class by yourself pre-draft. I appreciate how highly you've prized work ethic and character throughout. I'd suspect all of us Celtics fans hold Horford in high regard after watching him throughout a seven game series. I love Haslem, Blake, Battie and Mobley off the bench, in the locker room and at the practice facilities. Wright could be your lone steal. Etc. Then again, I will say I expect Webster to get beat out of meaningful minutes this season in real Portland; he's too tentative, and a pure shooter that can't get off good shots reliably. And I'll never forgive Mourning for sanEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ging the Nets.

I'm bucking the trend to predict anywhere from a 3rd to 6th seed for the Portland Trailblazers with a Mavericks-style first round collapse that leads to the acrimonious firing of Norman Dale.

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2008, 02:20:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
On the other hand the team I will be rooting for the most CLEARLY will be Redz' OKC Angry Pickles! That team is awesome. I'm TiVo-ing every game and hopefully going to a few. I'll be watching with baited breath that an ABA game is gonna break out everytime they play and I shudder to think at what Redz has lined up for halftime at every home game.

The Angry Pickles are pleased hear of your support and will offer you a complimentary court side seat for the home owner and the honor of being our first contestant in the half-time "Bob for the Golden Pickle" contest.

Redz: How do you respond to parent groups who are claiming your team logo is obscene and organizing protests?

We say "Screw em if they can't take a joke" and you can quote mgmt. on that.  The pickle has had a long, wholesome history in Oklahoma and we feel the Angry Pickle perfectly personifies the spirit of our new club.

"Thunder, my butt cheeks" (you can quote us on that too)

Yes, folks the Angry Pickles are going to be a joy to have around the NBA.
Yup

« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2008, 02:22:01 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
Looking forward to the Nuggets PC, since I'm not sure what they have beyond that starting 5, which I believe could make some real noise in the division.

Me too. There a team that I'm having a terribly hard time with. There is a lot to like there, but then Denver has possibly the worst center tandem in the league?

P.S. I apologize up front for the length of my last reply, at least to the three or four Celticsblog members with the patience to read it. I must really like the sound of my own voice.

« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2008, 02:22:16 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I love it, Walker Wiggle.  I'm glad you made your case.

You hit on one of the philosophical differences between me and some of the other GMs.  A few folks have noted that I could have added players who are higher profile, have more talent, etc.  I respect that opinion (although I think all of the guys I drafted were *close* to where they should be).  I stayed away from guys if I thought they wouldn't fit my team philosophy, with the lone exception being, ironically enough, my first pick (I love Amare, though.  He's dominant on offense.)  The "talent vs. fit" one was a constant struggle, but I went with fit.

In terms of not gambling on players who can be stars, I disagree (you're right, I don't concede many points).  You mentioned Wright.  I'd add Webster to that group; you and I just disagree about how good he could be.  I think Ukic is going to be a bit of a steal, too.  I think if I'd taken any more young guys, I would have compromised my ability to win in the present. 

The question of whether the kids can win now is a good one.  I think they'll win their division, but I wouldn't be shocked if they were upset in the playoffs.  On the other hand, I wouldn't be shocked if they ran through the playoffs at 16-2, either.  It depends upon how they gel, and how much they listen to the coaching staff and the vets on the team.  I do like that the majority of the guys on the team have had significant playoff experience.

One other final point of disagreement:  I agree that generally experience wins, but I disagree about "the best player".  The fact that a handful of other teams have an arguably better superstar doesn't phase me, because I think we've seen that one player just isn't enough to win.  Kobe is a great example of that, of course.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The History of the Pickle (sadly Oklahoma City's secret society of pickleology has been omitted - [perhaps on account of its secrecy)

http://www.nyfoodmuseum.org/_ptime.htm
Yup

« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2008, 02:44:34 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
...One other final point of disagreement:  I agree that generally experience wins, but I disagree about "the best player".  The fact that a handful of other teams have an arguably better superstar doesn't phase me, because I think we've seen that one player just isn't enough to win.  Kobe is a great example of that, of course.

I'm glad I didn't come off as sour. I'd agree that you did a top job drafting players at positions commensurate to their value, Stoudemire included. I'm simply more ambivalent than most about the end result. Also, I confine my "too conservative" criticism to the top of the draft, I like a lot of your late picks, Ukic among them.

Lastly, I admit I certainly over simplified my "best player wins" argument. I'm actually of the opinion that there are a handful of players that can elevate a competitive team to a contender; the clear top of the current class being: James, Garnett, Paul, Duncan, and that guys that plays for the Lakers. There are others that I'm willing to dicker over including, Wade? Howard? Nash?, etc. And I'd be happy to see Amare prove me wrong this season (well, up to a point; we're pulling for our own contender here.)

« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2008, 02:49:08 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I voted for the blazers. I don't see anyone in this division competing with them. In a few years, it will be very interesting to see the Blazers and Wolves battle it out for the Northwest. That battle will only help us Lakers in the long run. So, good job to both GM's.