Author Topic: Patriots 2018 Season  (Read 76296 times)

Re: Patriots 2018 Season
« Reply #255 on: December 16, 2018, 11:31:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm at the point where I look at the pats like a tv show that has been on too long.

I'm worried they're gonna keep trying to hold this thing together with scotch tape until Brady decides to retire.

Is there a better option? It's not like Jimmy G is sitting on the bench or we have this young, exciting defense. This is like the Cs in 2011-13. Enjoy it while you can - Brady is still awesome; unfortunately, the rest of the team is not.

Rebuilds take a while. Might as well get started.

Its one thing if they're good but not great.

This year they're actually bad.  Not horrible, but clearly not especially good in any area.

There are about 22 to 24 teams that would like to be as “bad” as the Pats, though. They’ve beaten the Texans, Bears and Chiefs - all division leaders - and could still end up with a bye.  It’s hard to tear it down when you can hang with any other team in the NFL.
Not to mention, the Pat's tear their team down like every offseason. They are constantly bringing in 25-30 new players every year. Belichick rebuild the team every single year. Poured Belichick doesn't tank. He is constantly turning over talent and coaching them up so by year's end they are playoff ready.

They dont look particularly coached up this year.

In fact they look worse in December so far.
December and the season isn't over yet. 11-5 can easily win a Superbowl. It's happened before

That's true, but at this rate they're probably gonna finish the season outside the top 12 in DVOA. When has that caliber of team won it all?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #256 on: December 16, 2018, 11:56:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
This thread feels a bit like sky is falling after a loss on the road to a good team. As someone else mentioned they have beat really good teams this year like the chiefs and Texans and bears. Even the rams had a pretty crappy loss tonight and the Texans squeaked by the jets yesterday. We certainly are not the favorites but saying it is time to rebuild strikes me as pretty strange. I also think next year will be Brady’s last season

« Reply #257 on: December 16, 2018, 11:59:20 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
except the patriots aren't a good team this season. they're a team that's not together and it's apparent. 

« Reply #258 on: December 17, 2018, 12:03:05 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
• A first-round bye is virtually impossible at this point, given that there are three teams ahead of New England in that race, with only two weeks to go.
• Usually, the deciding factor with New England is "Are they healthy?" Well, they're all healthy right now and they still can't win.
• The only way to slow Gronk is to double- or triple-team him, but that means someone else should be open. NE's not finding those open guys.
• Why have the Pats virtually eliminated James White from the game plan? He's probably their most dangerous player with the ball in the open field.
• Looks like Wild Card weekend will be New England's Super Bowl this season.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #259 on: December 17, 2018, 12:03:24 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
except the patriots aren't a good team this season. they're a team that's not together and it's apparent.

If they don’t lost on one of the flukiest plays in the last ten years last week they are 10-4 with wins over 3 division winners and the number one seed in afc. On what planet is that not “good”

« Reply #260 on: December 17, 2018, 12:10:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm at the point where I look at the pats like a tv show that has been on too long.

I'm worried they're gonna keep trying to hold this thing together with scotch tape until Brady decides to retire.

Is there a better option? It's not like Jimmy G is sitting on the bench or we have this young, exciting defense. This is like the Cs in 2011-13. Enjoy it while you can - Brady is still awesome; unfortunately, the rest of the team is not.

Rebuilds take a while. Might as well get started.

Its one thing if they're good but not great.

This year they're actually bad.  Not horrible, but clearly not especially good in any area.

There are about 22 to 24 teams that would like to be as “bad” as the Pats, though. They’ve beaten the Texans, Bears and Chiefs - all division leaders - and could still end up with a bye.  It’s hard to tear it down when you can hang with any other team in the NFL.
Not to mention, the Pat's tear their team down like every offseason. They are constantly bringing in 25-30 new players every year. Belichick rebuild the team every single year. Poured Belichick doesn't tank. He is constantly turning over talent and coaching them up so by year's end they are playoff ready.

They dont look particularly coached up this year.

In fact they look worse in December so far.
December and the season isn't over yet. 11-5 can easily win a Superbowl. It's happened before

That's true, but at this rate they're probably gonna finish the season outside the top 12 in DVOA. When has that caliber of team won it all?
Not sure. Have they done DVOA for all Superbowl winners? Jets maybe but probably not since there were a lot fewer teams. Colts had a pretty bad defense back 10 years or so. Maybe the Giants in 2007. Their defense came together only in the playoffs if I remember right. Seem to remember Washington having a porous season. Was that 83 or 87? One of Denver's wins was with a bad defense. I would have to do a search.

« Reply #261 on: December 17, 2018, 12:12:00 AM »

• Satch Sanders
This thread feels a bit like sky is falling after a loss on the road to a good team. As someone else mentioned they have beat really good teams this year like the chiefs and Texans and bears. Even the rams had a pretty crappy loss tonight and the Texans squeaked by the jets yesterday. We certainly are not the favorites but saying it is time to rebuild strikes me as pretty strange. I also think next year will be Brady’s last season

Well, the Steelers were only 3-3 at home before tonight, and even though they're only 16th in points allowed per game before tonight (allowing 23.5 ppg), New England scored only 10. And last week's loss was supposed to "light a fire" under New England, and that clearly didn't happen. Plus, New England's been pretty bad on the road this season, which doesn't bode well considering they're probably not going to have home-field advantage past the first round. They're certainly trending in the wrong direction as the playoffs approach.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #262 on: December 17, 2018, 12:17:05 AM »

• Satch Sanders

If they don’t lost on one of the flukiest plays in the last ten years last week they are 10-4 with wins over 3 division winners and the number one seed in afc. On what planet is that not “good”

Even had they won last week, they'd be only tied for second in the AFC with Houston, a game behind the Chiefs and Chargers.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #263 on: December 17, 2018, 12:17:58 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Well, the Steelers were only 3-3 at home before tonight, and even though they're only 16th in points allowed per game before tonight (allowing 23.5 ppg), New England scored only 10. And last week's loss was supposed to "light a fire" under New England, and that clearly didn't happen. Plus, New England's been pretty bad on the road this season, which doesn't bode well considering they're probably not going to have home-field advantage past the first round. They're certainly trending in the wrong direction as the playoffs approach.
Houston still has to play in Philly next week and Philly will be desperate to get that win to help them get back to the playoffs. If Houston loses that game and the Pat's win out, the Pat's get the bye and a home game in the conference semis.

« Reply #264 on: December 17, 2018, 12:33:44 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Even had they won last week, they'd be only tied for second in the AFC with Houston, a game behind the Chiefs and Chargers.

I probably wrote that poorly I was trying to say we have a win over the number one seed in the afc

« Reply #265 on: December 17, 2018, 07:00:41 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Actually they would be in 2nd since they own the tiebreaker with Houston and even if LAC and KC both have records better than ours we still get the 2nd seed since the other Western team falls to the fifth seed as a wild card.

« Reply #266 on: December 17, 2018, 11:18:29 AM »

• Satch Sanders

Actually they would be in 2nd since they own the tiebreaker with Houston and even if LAC and KC both have records better than ours we still get the 2nd seed since the other Western team falls to the fifth seed as a wild card.

Ah, yes, I forgot about the NFL's wonky playoff rules. It's like the year Brady was injured but the Pats still finished 11-5—and missed the playoffs.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #267 on: December 17, 2018, 11:19:03 AM »

• Satch Sanders

I probably wrote that poorly I was trying to say we have a win over the number one seed in the afc

Okay, I see it now. Thanks for the clarification.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #268 on: December 17, 2018, 11:31:07 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

The Steelers aren't a good team, though.  They've lost to a lot of crappy teams this season.

The Pats, unfortunately, are also bad.  Worse, the Pats seem to be trending down instead of up.

Earlier this season, they had a good offense with a problematic defense.

Lately, the offense has been uncreative, with lots of short yardage plays.  They've had a lot of trouble generating touchdowns in the red zone.  They are really bad at converting third downs.

The special teams have also been a letdown with missed field goals, penalties, and of course the blown final play against Miami.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #269 on: December 17, 2018, 11:36:59 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

The Steelers aren't a good team, though.  They've lost to a lot of crappy teams this season.

The Pats, unfortunately, are also bad.  Worse, the Pats seem to be trending down instead of up.

Earlier this season, they had a good offense with a problematic defense.

Lately, the offense has been uncreative, with lots of short yardage plays.  They've had a lot of trouble generating touchdowns in the red zone.  They are really bad at converting third downs.

The special teams have also been a letdown with missed field goals, penalties, and of course the blown final play against Miami.
Pittsburgh and New England are not bad teams. The Bills, Jets, Raiders and Cardinals are bad teams. Pittsburgh and New England are most likely division winning  playoff teams in a conference that is much stronger than the NFC. That makes them really good teams.