Author Topic: Craziest stats of the season?  (Read 6341 times)

Re: Craziest stats of the season?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 02:53:48 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Kevin Love's rebounding?  30-20's etc...

Double Double streak

Agreed!!
I think the way the media decided to completely ignore pre-merger basketball to enhance the streak's importance historically is notable.

Similar to how the current NFL just ignores all championships before they rebranded it as the "superbowl".

I do think, however, that it is important to contextualize stats in historical periods. The specific dates of each era may be artificially concrete, but it is useful to acknowledge differences between eras.

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 02:59:54 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Double Double streak

Agreed!!
I think the way the media decided to completely ignore pre-merger basketball to enhance the streak's importance historically is notable.

Similar to how the current NFL just ignores all championships before they rebranded it as the "superbowl".

I do think, however, that it is important to contextualize stats in historical periods. The specific dates of each era may be artificially concrete, but it is useful to acknowledge differences between eras.
Its useful when comparing players to each other, but when you're talking about it like its a record I think that falls apart.

Its like people talking about Kobe's 81 point game without mentioning Wilt's 100 point game at all. Except this conversation has gone on for a month.

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 03:00:09 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
The fact that Keving Love's numbers have enticed people to declare him the best player in the NBA.....

Yes.  I haven't seen that many Minny games, but it seems that he's pushing for the stats, e.g. aware of where his numbers stand during the game...need X more rebounds, etc.

His team is a loser, and he's stat-stuffing.  Wonder which team will overpay him down the road...

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 03:01:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
The fact that Keving Love's numbers have enticed people to declare him the best player in the NBA.....

Yes.  I haven't seen that many Minny games, but it seems that he's pushing for the stats, e.g. aware of where his numbers stand during the game...need X more rebounds, etc.

His team is a loser, and he's stat-stuffing.  Wonder which team will overpay him down the road...
His current team is apparently trying to get him to sign an 70 million dollar extension.

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 03:17:13 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1773
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Double Double streak

Agreed!!

I do agree wih you, but some of the stats 'back in the day' were just weird. Oscar Robertson averaging a triple double and Wilt scoring 100 is ridiculous, but could either of those possibly be reached? I say a slight 'maybe'. His 55 rebound game seems untouchable, though. For me, that is the most impressive single game stat ever. Can you imagine anyone grabbing 55 rebounds in today's NBA?

Kevin Love obviously has impressive stats, but that is downplayed because of how terrible his team is. If you compare his rebounding to that of his peers, however, you have to go back to 2002-03 to find someone who has averaged over 15 rebounds a game (Ben Wallace).

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 03:35:26 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Double Double streak

Agreed!!

Its useful when comparing players to each other, but when you're talking about it like its a record I think that falls apart.

Its like people talking about Kobe's 81 point game without mentioning Wilt's 100 point game at all. Except this conversation has gone on for a month.

Fair point. I think it would be interesting to see records expressed as standard differentiation/degree of outliers. In other words, a double-double streak of 100 games is less impressive if, in that same time span, there were other players with streaks of 90, 85, 88, etc. as compared to 30 years later, if there were a double double streak of 70 games (clearly not the record), but the other streaks in that time were 20, 25, 30, 20, etc.

I mean, the point of era contextualization is that sure, Wilt scored 100 points, but it was an era that allowed him to average 50+ ppg one year, right? So Kobe's 81 would not be as impressive if it were a league where a player was averaging 40 ppg. But no one has come close to that in a long time, so the 81 is quite an outlier.

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 03:43:47 PM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
Craziest stat goes to former Celtic James Posey.
Posey 2010/11.
1pt:   9 / 12
2pt:  12 / 25
3pt:  61 / 189
That's crazy...88,3% of his field goal attempts were 3pointers...
Btw, 38,4% of Ray Allen's field goal atempts were 3pointers.
Worth some TP?  ;)
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 02:36:33 PM »

Offline Scout200

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
Posey 2010/11.
Worth some TP?  ;)

Agreed!  Nicely said!

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 02:52:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Posey 2010/11.
Worth some TP?  ;)

Somewhere Antione's poking his head up. "Hmm, forget Boston, maybe I should try and join the Pacers..."

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 03:24:46 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Most F-bombs dropped on ref without getting ejected*:

Stevie Nash, Phoenix Suns: Six

*Denotes all-time NBA record

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 03:25:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I have my doubts, I know it was bad but Kobe or someone else has probably done worse.

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 03:27:56 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

I have my doubts, I know it was bad but Kobe or someone else has probably done worse.

Maybe but one of those bombs had an "ing" at the end and then the name of a female dog to go with it. How that did not get him thrown out is beyond me.

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 03:29:41 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Maybe but one of those bombs had an "ing" at the end and then the name of a female dog to go with it. How that did not get him thrown out is beyond me.
I know, maybe the Ref just assumed it was KG he was hearing from another side of the court.

Such direct disrespect usually gets the hook.

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 03:38:23 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Isaiah Thomas has one whole job in the NBA....with the Knicks

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 03:40:30 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Maybe he threw in some of those Canadian "aaayyyy"s and the ref just didn't translate it in his head and saw it as more of a fudging question aaaaaayyyyy?