Poll

Which of the following is the most likely?

No change, Belichick continues as head coach and GM
3 (10.3%)
Belichick continues as head coach but a new GM is brought in
3 (10.3%)
Belichick continues as GM but relinquishes some of the Coaching duties
3 (10.3%)
Belichick is traded
4 (13.8%)
Belichick is outright released
16 (55.2%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Belichick Poll - What Happens After the Season  (Read 3364 times)

Re: Belichick Poll - What Happens After the Season
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2024, 01:00:52 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I think Belichick wants Shula's record, so he will remain a coach for a few more years somewhere else if not here
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2024, 01:23:52 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1437
I have a horrible feeling he resigns as coach but becomes a full time GM or President of Football Operations  ???

This is actually what I am thinking, but I am not as down on it as most.  He could be the overall head of football or something, still be the executive coach but bring in or promote a head coach.  Also bring in an assistant GM.

People pick on certain bad draft picks by Belichick and say it was more Brady, that Brady covered up Bill's mistakes.  But this was a top team for 20 years.  No other organization has ever done that and there have been plenty of good QBs.  I think part of the problem is that it is just too much for one person to coach the team (often all the way to the super bowl) and also prepare for the draft and other GM duties.  Is it really going to be better to bring in someone new to make the important personnel decisions in this critical year?  Do you want someone to come in and trade away the farm to move up and take a QB like San Fran did, or otherwise "make a splash"?

I actually think the best thing is to let Bill run this off season but to start to put the succession plan in place, both coaching and GM.  But if you move on from Bill entirely, bring in all new leadership, it is probably going to turn out worse.  People are convinced that Bill can't pick a QB but who are you going to bring in that you are sure can?

Bill hasn’t drafted a pro-bowl WR since Deion Branch back in the 90’s. It’s pretty incredible actually.

Branch was ‘02. Also, Belichick wasn’t head coach of the Pats until 2000.

He did draft the greatest TE of all time so I’ll give him some credit for that.

My bad, thought he was from 99’  draft for some reason. So 20+ years..
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2024, 01:31:25 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I have a horrible feeling he resigns as coach but becomes a full time GM or President of Football Operations  ???

This is actually what I am thinking, but I am not as down on it as most.  He could be the overall head of football or something, still be the executive coach but bring in or promote a head coach.  Also bring in an assistant GM.

People pick on certain bad draft picks by Belichick and say it was more Brady, that Brady covered up Bill's mistakes.  But this was a top team for 20 years.  No other organization has ever done that and there have been plenty of good QBs.  I think part of the problem is that it is just too much for one person to coach the team (often all the way to the super bowl) and also prepare for the draft and other GM duties.  Is it really going to be better to bring in someone new to make the important personnel decisions in this critical year?  Do you want someone to come in and trade away the farm to move up and take a QB like San Fran did, or otherwise "make a splash"?

I actually think the best thing is to let Bill run this off season but to start to put the succession plan in place, both coaching and GM.  But if you move on from Bill entirely, bring in all new leadership, it is probably going to turn out worse.  People are convinced that Bill can't pick a QB but who are you going to bring in that you are sure can?

Bill hasn’t drafted a pro-bowl WR since Deion Branch back in the 90’s. It’s pretty incredible actually.

Branch was ‘02. Also, Belichick wasn’t head coach of the Pats until 2000.

He did draft the greatest TE of all time so I’ll give him some credit for that.

My bad, thought he was from 99’  draft for some reason. So 20+ years..

Bill won SBs with scrubs on offense before, so he figured he could continue to do so.

Not without Tom!

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2024, 08:14:15 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1437
Pretty interesting results. Almost 60% think he will be released.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2024, 08:15:31 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Pretty interesting results. Almost 60% think he will be released.

Basically, about 30% think he will stay in NE and the other 70% think he'll go somewhere else.

Smart folks  ;D

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2024, 10:23:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Fire Bill !

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2024, 06:07:25 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I think Belichick wants Shula's record, so he will remain a coach for a few more years somewhere else if not here

I think you're right, but it's not really his decision to make. He started the season needing, what, 18 wins to break the record? After a whole horrible season, he needs 14. No owner is going to keep him on as head coach for another 2-3 years - at minimum - just so he can eek out a personal record that is largely meaningless to the organisation.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2024, 07:50:16 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think you're right, but it's not really his decision to make. He started the season needing, what, 18 wins to break the record? After a whole horrible season, he needs 14. No owner is going to keep him on as head coach for another 2-3 years - at minimum - just so he can eek out a personal record that is largely meaningless to the organisation.

I think a lot of owners outside of New England would hire him.  For instance, the Chargers would seem to be an okay fit for both sides.  The question is, will Bill coach without 1) personnel control and 2) his staff of nepotism and friendship hires?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2024, 08:40:02 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Belichick had a press “call” today. Didn’t sound like he was planning to go anywhere. Said he is still under contract and was going about the regular season close out.

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2024, 08:45:31 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Bill will be the 1st or 2nd most sought after coach this off season (if he is available).  I think only Harbaugh will be more sought after and perhaps Johnson for certain teams.  Now Bill isn't a great fit on all teams (like he'd be a horrible hire for Panthers), but there are several teams where Bill would make a lot of sense.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2024, 08:55:13 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Belichick had a press “call” today. Didn’t sound like he was planning to go anywhere. Said he is still under contract and was going about the regular season close out.

Yeah.  From a legal position, his best strategy is to show up at work.  Even if a breakup is inevitable, he wants the Pats to fire him, which 1) gives him the right to choose where he coaches next year, or 2) allows him to get paid for sitting at home.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2024, 09:13:11 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

I think a lot of owners outside of New England would hire him.  For instance, the Chargers would seem to be an okay fit for both sides.  The question is, will Bill coach without 1) personnel control and 2) his staff of nepotism and friendship hires?

Maybe, but the fundamental question remains: why? I guess if you're under the assumption that he hasn't lost his fastball it's a reasonable move, but if you think he's still 'the' Bill B. then surely you'd be onboard with making him the GM -  even if it's a de facto role - as well?

The dude does not look like a great head coach without a great team, which is fine, but what existing good team is looking to bring in that kind of baggage? I'm sure the teams are out there - Chargers, as you mention - but I'm just not convinced a front office is really making the best choice to bring him in, compared to the mythology.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2024, 11:07:06 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Do teams want to hire an old-school, military style coach to prepare this generation of young kids? They'll tune out on him. Even this batch of Patriots have tuned out on him.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2024, 11:57:54 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
It won't be today, but I believe by mid-to-end of week we'll hear the announcement

"Belichick and Patriots agree to a mutual parting"