Author Topic: Idea: Let's Rescue Julius Randle  (Read 1018 times)

Idea: Let's Rescue Julius Randle
« on: December 22, 2017, 04:09:18 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Julius Randle has been more or less cast away by the LA Lakers. They've refused to give him a starting role putting Kuzma Nance and the corpse of Luol Deng in front of him. Even with Brook Lopez going down Randle earned just 8 minute the other night. He's playing the fewest minutes of his career and LA seems to have 0 intention of involving him in long term plans.

We all know LA wants to pursue multiple max contract guys this summer and to do that they will need to clear major cap space. One part of that means good bye to RFAs like Randle.

On to the actual player. We all know that Randle is a pretty good rebounder(which we need) and he can score a little bit too(which we really need). What you may not know is that he can handle the ball ok and he is a pretty decent passer. What you definitely don't know if you haven't watched him much this year is that he's turned himself into a borderline elite defender. He can switch everything. He's got the length quickness and strength to cover any and everybody. His switchability and passing make him a great fit with Brad and this team desperately needs depth at the 4.

So what's the problem?

He can't shoot. At all. And Magic Johnson.

Anyone else think Randle would be a good fit under the DPE?

He can help out the bench and help out on the glass, plus his cost should be reasonable and he fits under the DPE.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Re: Idea: Let's Rescue Julius Randle
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 04:47:03 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'd definitely take a flyer on him. He's been scoring well both in terms of volume and efficiency, which is exactly what we need. He could easily take all the minutes we're giving to Ojeleye and Nader.

Wouldn't mind it at all
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 05:19:04 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Can't shoot, BS says no PT. Unless you are a guard go figure.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 06:34:49 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
He actually is around Baynes' level in shooting, why not get him? Only thing I am worried about is that he'll only be a rental and he might cost us some valuable assets.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 07:03:35 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I'm very skeptical his defense is anywhere near "elite" but I can't say I've watched him play this season, really at all. He has a lot of skills and adding a big man who can rebound and pass is always nice. Especially one as young as Randle.

Plus, if he was on the C's we could finally put and end to the Smart/Randle draft debate.

If there are no better options... sure.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 07:17:20 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
From what I have seen the Lakers are largely playing Randle as a 6'9 back up center. He is an old school PF who cant space the floor and defensively he lacks the size/length to really be effective in the paint. In many ways he is stuck in the same position as Faried.

I personally do not like his fit with the Cs unless he is cheap and used as a 15 mpg back up center vs smaller teams. Baynes has clearly shown me the value of having a true center on the roster. Where he could find a nice role is as the 3rd big on a team with a true "unicorn type" big man. An example would be playing behind Kanter and KP , Cousins and AD or KAT and Gibson. In all those situations he could play in the paint on offense while the Unicorn type player spaces the floor and provides rim protection on defense.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet