Author Topic: Patriots 2018 Season  (Read 76233 times)

Re: Patriots 2018 Season
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2018, 01:48:32 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
So the week debate on SBNation was "Who would you give the ball to in a 4th quarter comeback drive- Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady?"

Two-thirds voted Patrick Mahomes.

It was settled.
43 all time 4th quarter/OT game winning drives in his career and more SB appearances than Mahomes has career starts, and they still pick the young guy, lol. I’m all for young talent, but it seems foolish to not hold on a little bit before calling him better than the GOAT

True. I mean, he had ONE good game against the Broncos with that 4th-quarter comeback drive. But not tonight! Maybe in a few years because this guy so far looks like the real deal. However, it is Tom Brady the GOAT night.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2018, 06:59:51 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So the week debate on SBNation was "Who would you give the ball to in a 4th quarter comeback drive- Patrick Mahomes or Tom Brady?"

It was settled.
43 all time 4th quarter/OT game winning drives in his career and more SB appearances than Mahomes has career starts, and they still pick the young guy, lol. I’m all for young talent, but it seems foolish to not hold on a little bit before calling him better than the GOAT

True. I mean, he had ONE good game against the Broncos with that 4th-quarter comeback drive. But not tonight! Maybe in a few years because this guy so far looks like the real deal. However, it is Tom Brady the GOAT night.

In fairness, Mahomes led a 4th quarter comeback, too.  It was clear that whoever got the ball last was going to win.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2018, 07:34:53 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

It was settled.

In fairness, Mahomes led a 4th quarter comeback, too.  It was clear that whoever got the ball last was going to win.

I was actually a little relieved at the speed of that last KC TD.  IT left just the right amount of time for a leisurely last drive like the one that occurred.  OT would have been too much!

Obviously Mahomes hasn't accomplished Jack diddly,but he is really entertaining - especially with Hill to throw to.  Hopefully he stays healthy.

A fine night to have Gostkowski on the old fantasy lineup too. ???
Yup

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2018, 09:49:04 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Entertaining as heck game.

However, it's a bit ridiculous how much the league has started to become Arena League with all the pro-offense maneuvering.   Defense has become a joke in the NFL.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2018, 10:33:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

However, it's a bit ridiculous how much the league has started to become Arena League with all the pro-offense maneuvering.   Defense has become a joke in the NFL.
To be fair, neither the Patriots or Chiefs have good defenses, but here are the other scores from this week 21-0, 27-3, 20-13, 23-17, 23-20, 27-17, 40-7, 34-13, 28-21, 38-14, 31-28, 34-29, 42-34.

So you had 2 shoot outs, 2 high scoring close games, 3 high scoring blow outs (i.e. winner above 30 with loser below 20), 2 low scoring blow outs (i.e. winner below 30 with loser below 10), and 5 mid-tier scoring close games.

Just because the Patriots defense is terrible (as is the Chiefs) doesn't make the league the Arena League.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2018, 10:53:43 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

To be fair, neither the Patriots or Chiefs have good defenses, but here are the other scores from this week 21-0, 27-3, 20-13, 23-17, 23-20, 27-17, 40-7, 34-13, 28-21, 38-14, 31-28, 34-29, 42-34.

So you had 2 shoot outs, 2 high scoring close games, 3 high scoring blow outs (i.e. winner above 30 with loser below 20), 2 low scoring blow outs (i.e. winner below 30 with loser below 10), and 5 mid-tier scoring close games.

Just because the Patriots defense is terrible (as is the Chiefs) doesn't make the league the Arena League.

Ummm...you realize that the league is currently on pace to have its highest scoring season of all time, right? 

The league has already seen three games this season where both teams have scored 40 or more points.   Last time that happened? 1986.

37 games in NFL history where a team has scored 40+ points & lost.  3 of them has happened this season.

The pendulum has swung in great favor of NFL offenses these days. 

It doesn't help that the league has protected the QB so much these days that defenders are terrified of getting flagged.  See Breeland Speaks last night.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2018, 11:10:01 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Ummm...you realize that the league is currently on pace to have its highest scoring season of all time, right? 

The league has already seen three games this season where both teams have scored 40 or more points.   Last time that happened? 1986.

37 games in NFL history where a team has scored 40+ points & lost.  3 of them has happened this season.

It doesn't help that the league has protected the QB so much these days that defenders are terrified of getting flagged.  See Breeland Speaks last night.

I think there's a consensus view that scoring has increased. The NFL loves the influx of new fans with fantasy football and wants to keep eyeballs glued on the product. The Redzone is a good example of this- instead of switching over to any other channel at a commercial break, I will check out Redzone to see what else is going on in the league. With this format, I can watch many of the league's scoring plays on Sunday. There currently exists no similar product for phases of the game when a team has another team pinned near their end zone. Quite simply, people want to see scoring. The NFL would be tone deaf to not give the people what they want.

Last night's game was awesome. The broadcast even billed it as a heavyweight fight b/w QBs. KC and NE have suspect defenses, so the score shouldn't shock anyone. At the same time, Baltimore had 11 sacks yesterday. While the trend towards scoring has increased, let's not get hyperbolic with the lack of D. Last night's game isn't a good example of an average NFL game.

« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2018, 12:29:05 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

It was settled.

I was actually a little relieved at the speed of that last KC TD.  IT left just the right amount of time for a leisurely last drive like the one that occurred.  OT would have been too much!

Obviously Mahomes hasn't accomplished Jack diddly,but he is really entertaining - especially with Hill to throw to.  Hopefully he stays healthy.

A fine night to have Gostkowski on the old fantasy lineup too. ???

I lost my mind when they only took like 15 seconds to score, on one friggen play. And that Special Teams blunder last night, what the heck? Kickoff ball does not go beyond the end zone but lands just outside for the #1-ranked return team in the NFL to return the ball. And then allowing that 97-yard return...what in the world. Joe Judge needs to be questioned.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2018, 12:57:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I think there's a consensus view that scoring has increased. The NFL loves the influx of new fans with fantasy football and wants to keep eyeballs glued on the product. The Redzone is a good example of this- instead of switching over to any other channel at a commercial break, I will check out Redzone to see what else is going on in the league. With this format, I can watch many of the league's scoring plays on Sunday. There currently exists no similar product for phases of the game when a team has another team pinned near their end zone. Quite simply, people want to see scoring. The NFL would be tone deaf to not give the people what they want.

Last night's game was awesome. The broadcast even billed it as a heavyweight fight b/w QBs. KC and NE have suspect defenses, so the score shouldn't shock anyone. At the same time, Baltimore had 11 sacks yesterday. While the trend towards scoring has increased, let's not get hyperbolic with the lack of D. Last night's game isn't a good example of an average NFL game.
yeah, that was my point.  There is still plenty of defense to be played.  And the 6 defenses in those 3 games, the highest ranked is New Orleans at 17 and 3 of them are bottom 5 defenses.  It isn't like teams are beating the Ravens or Bears in shootouts (the top 2 defenses). 

And yes teams have been passing more, which generally leads to more scoring (more yards faster and more stopped clocks), but there is still plenty of defense around. 

The league is also on pace for more overtime games then ever before as well and there was another one of those yesterday.  Not sure why that is, but sometimes weird results happen especially when bad defenses meet good offenses. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2018, 05:15:54 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
It was nice to read that the Patriots have banned the fan that threw the beer at Tyreek Hill, from all future Gillette Stadium events. The camera showed it for a split second in live action, but had to quickly pan away because of all the fans giving Hill the middle finger. Stay classy Pats fans.

« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2018, 06:13:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gotta give Belichick a ton of credit for taking a RB in the first round. Over the last three weeks, Sony Michel has been one of the top backs rushing the ball in the league. That pick is looking like a steal.

« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2018, 06:17:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Gotta give Belichick a ton of credit for taking a RB in the first round. Over the last three weeks, Sony Michel has been one of the top backs rushing the ball in the league. That pick is looking like a steal.
Yep, really good pick. Second best RB in the class so far, and only is second because Barkley is such a monster
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2018, 07:00:05 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Yep, really good pick. Second best RB in the class so far, and only is second because Barkley is such a monster

He is reminding me a lot of Corey Dillon. A strong back that is physical and can move the pile but is quick and shifty enough to cut to a hole and make run with it. That is always a good staple of our offense when we had those backs that makes the defense work and tire them out. With our FB creating hole, that is a great change of pace to go with all of our offensive threats with Gronk, Edelman, Josh and White. Meanwhile, if all those guys are covered, throw in a Hogan platter and keep those guys honest.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2018, 07:18:02 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Gordon, Mitchel, Edelman, Gronk

Tom has 4 very nice  weapons

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2018, 07:23:44 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

He is reminding me a lot of Corey Dillon. A strong back that is physical and can move the pile but is quick and shifty enough to cut to a hole and make run with it. That is always a good staple of our offense when we had those backs that makes the defense work and tire them out. With our FB creating hole, that is a great change of pace to go with all of our offensive threats with Gronk, Edelman, Josh and White. Meanwhile, if all those guys are covered, throw in a Hogan platter and keep those guys honest.

Great pick. He was a great player overshadowed by Nick Chubb for most of his time at UGA.  After Chibb blew out his knee, you could see that Michel would be the better pro. I dont think he's ever going to make his money juking dbacks in the open field, but he is strong, has breakaway speed, smart, reliable, and blocks well.  Also seems like a genuinely good kid.  I wish I could pinch his cheeks.

The Tarstradamus Group, LLC