Poll

Should CelticsBlog restrict scores, identifying the winner, etc. in thread titles?

Yes, lots of fans DVR games and then watch later;
24 (38.7%)
No, by coming to a basketball forum you risk being "spoiled"
38 (61.3%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Poll: Should we restrict "spoilers" about games in thread titles?  (Read 25062 times)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This came up in another thread.  A user was disappointed to learn the winner and final score of the Spurs versus Warriors game.

Is avoiding spoilers something that you care about? Should this be codified in an official rule? We would like to hear from the community on this.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Poll: Should we restrict "spoilers" about games in thread titles?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
No. If you don't know what happened, that's on you. Don't blame us.  We shouldn't have to regulate that.

We're a community who discusses basketball.  We're going to discuss what's happening on a daily basis.  Thread title are going to illustrate that.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 11:09:05 AM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 11:07:14 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
The reason it's a big issue is because a large portion of your audience are living overseas, so an NBA game is on at say, 10 am in Australia while people are work, or 3 pm in Thailand etc...
There should be an effort to keep results out of thread titles- especially with regular posters.
There's a '2016 NBA season' thread for results.

By allowing results in thread titles, you're basically saying 'don't use Celticsblog all day if you want to enjoy an NBA game when you live overseas or missed the game while you were out'.

Obviously if people come to Celticsblog then they should understand they may find out the result of a Celtics game-so avoid the blog if you don't wanna know Celtics results.

The other teams though, there really is no reason to post results of matches.
Just have 'Raptors vs Cavs 22.04.16 discussion' or something.

Doesn't even have to be a written rule, just a courtesy. I've asked triboy not to do it before, and he ignored it- I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it annoying.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 11:14:40 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I'm staying neutral on the overall question, at least publicly, but I want to clarify the above.

The 2016 NBA Season thread is a catch all thread about the season that often serves as a quasi game thread. However, there's nothing restricting people from creating threads about individual games.  Last night's game was worthy of individual discussion.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 11:17:54 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No. If you don't know what happened, that's on you. Don't blame us.  We shouldn't have to regulate that.

We're a community who discusses basketball.  We're going to discuss what's happening on a daily basis.  Thread title are going to illustrate that.

exactly.  Watch the recorded game before you visit the forum.   You would do the same thing to avoid ESPN etc.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 11:18:42 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I'm staying neutral on the overall question, at least publicly, but I want to clarify the above.

The 2016 NBA Season thread is a catch all thread about the season that often serves as a quasi game thread. However, there's nothing restricting people from creating threads about individual games. Last night's game was worthy of individual discussion.

that is why it was done.  It was a huge game for many reasons

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 11:19:09 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
imagine how vague you'd have to be in game threads not to spoil anything.

"Wow, that was a great play by one of our players!"

"Man, these refs suck!"

Come on. Have some personal responsibility and avoid the game threads until you watch the game itself.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 11:20:45 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
The reason it's a big issue is because a large portion of your audience are living overseas, so an NBA game is on at say, 10 am in Australia while people are work, or 3 pm in Thailand etc...
There should be an effort to keep results out of thread titles- especially with regular posters.

By allowing results in thread titles, you're basically saying 'don't use Celticsblog all day if you want to enjoy an NBA game when you live overseas or missed the game while you were out'.

Obviously if people come to Celticsblog then they should understand they may find out the result of a Celtics game-so avoid the blog if you don't wanna know Celtics results.

Doesn't even have to be a written rule, just a courtesy. I've asked triboy not to do it before, and he ignored it- I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it annoying.

Hate to be blunt, but that's on you then.  If you don't want spoilers, don't come on the blog.

We're a basketball blog. We're going to discuss basketball.  We're all passionate enough that we're going to discuss it on a daily basis so, obviously, that's going to include games.

As a moderator, I don't really want to be concerned about whether or not someone has seen a game yet.  To me, that's on the individual poster.

Again, sorry to be blunt, but that's my feeling on this.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 11:21:21 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
imagine how vague you'd have to be in game threads not to spoil anything.

"Wow, that was a great play by one of our players!"

"Man, these refs suck!"

Come on. Have some personal responsibility and avoid the game threads until you watch the game itself.

Just in thread titles.

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 11:23:44 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

what's next, also don't mention the score in the discussion?  Why even create it in the 1st place

If someone accidentally enters the discussion and thought it was involving pre game talk or something but finds out the result , then what??

You want to create some special rule for yourself and using other reasons too (what about international fans?) to enforce it. BTW some international fans may not be able to catch the game until 2-3 days later due to how their networks work there.  No disrespect to those fans, but this forum works on a real time basis

Again watch the pre recorded game first. Avoid the sports websites/forum if you don't want to run into spoilers.   

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 11:25:46 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't have a problem leaving results out of thread titles so as to help our overseas brethren but to not talk results in a game thread is just not going to happen nor should it.

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 11:29:53 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Hate to be blunt, but that's on you then.  If you don't want spoilers, don't come on the blog.

We're a basketball blog. We're going to discuss basketball.  We're all passionate enough that we're going to discuss it on a daily basis so, obviously, that's going to include games.

As a moderator, I don't really want to be concerned about whether or not someone has seen a game yet.  To me, that's on the individual poster.

I don't think you're sorry to be blunt.  But whatever.

From a pure cost-benefit way to look at it, do you think having to name a thread "Spurs-Warriors game" instead of "Spurs beat Warriors 85-77" is going to cause you so much less enjoyment that it's worth spoiling the results for someone who has yet to watch the game?  It's not like this is a Spurs website or a Warriors website.  Honestly I think the amount of enjoyment someone gets from a thread title must be far beneath the amount of enjoyment someone loses from having the results spoiled from them.  Furthermore, as only one person gets enjoyment from any given thread title, whereas more than one may lose enjoyment from having the results spoiled, I think it makes sense to not post said results in the title of a thread.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 11:31:52 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

what's next, also don't mention the score in the discussion?  Why even create it in the 1st place

If someone accidentally enters the discussion and thought it was involving pre game talk or something but finds out the result , then what??

You want to create some special rule for yourself and using other reasons too (what about international fans?) to enforce it. BTW some international fans may not be able to catch the game until 2-3 days later due to how their networks work there.  No disrespect to those fans, but this forum works on a real time basis

Again watch the pre recorded game first. Avoid the sports websites/forum if you don't want to run into spoilers.

Now you're turning it into something that no one is even suggesting.
The whole point of a game thread is that it covers the game.

I live in Australia. If am working or out from 9 until 5 pm, and the game was on at 10 am my local time, I now must avoid Celticsblog all day because triboy needs to put the results of a 'big game' in his thread title. I can't see any rumor updates, I can't talk about trade ideas, until I watch the game I wanted to watch.
So now I'll just wait until I get home at 5pm, watch the game, and then go on Celticsblog to add my thoughts/input to the community.
No thanks.

You can still have a Spurs vs Warriors thread. Just don't put the result in the title.
Simple, easy and everyone wins.

No one said anything about in game threads. Just don't put the score/result in the title.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 11:32:03 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
NO

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 11:33:19 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

I don't think you're sorry to be blunt.  But whatever.

From a pure cost-benefit way to look at it, do you think having to name a thread "Spurs-Warriors game" instead of "Spurs beat Warriors 85-77" is going to cause you so much less enjoyment that it's worth spoiling the results for someone who has yet to watch the game?  It's not like this is a Spurs website or a Warriors website.  Honestly I think the amount of enjoyment someone gets from a thread title must be far beneath the amount of enjoyment someone loses from having the results spoiled from them.  Furthermore, as only one person gets enjoyment from any given thread title, whereas more than one may lose enjoyment from having the results spoiled, I think it makes sense to not post said results in the title of a thread.

thank you for your logical post.