Author Topic: Westbrook threatens female fan and her husband  (Read 20683 times)

Re: Westbrook threatens female fan and her husband
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 01:10:52 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think it'd depend on what the fan said as well. Utah fans have started to build a rep with some of their language - particularly of the racist variety.  .
it doesn't depend on anything

You can call me any racial or derogatory slur in the book. I respect peoples freedom of speech, so I'd never threaten anyone's life or physical well being. If someone threatened my life, then id have to defend myself but words like those aren't threats

This is just another unprofessional moment in the life of Westbrook,  guy with history of being trashy with fans and media

Westbrook isn't going to follow through with taking someone's life, so wouldn't his words just fall under freedom of speech too? Or do the goalposts get moved for him?
yeah. Ron Artest was never going to go attack fans either

because Malace at the Palace never happened

Ron Artest and Russell Westbrook are two different people with two different histories. False equivalency.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 01:12:55 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
He might've gotten away with just a fine if he hadn't brought the guy's wife into it. Not anymore. The league will take that seriously I think.

If what players are saying is true, and it probably is if the fan's reported social media about Westbrook (not linking them) is legit, then a fair result seems to be Westbrook being suspended for a game or two and the fan being suspended for life.

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 01:14:57 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
He might've gotten away with just a fine if he hadn't brought the guy's wife into it. Not anymore. The league will take that seriously I think.

If what players are saying is true, and the fan's social media posts (not linking them) are legit it probably is, then a fair result seems to be Westbro.ok being suspended for a game or two and the fan being suspended for life.

I would not suspend Westbrook,,,, that is just BS to protect the NBA brand. The fan deserved what he got. NBA needs to man up or provide their players better security. Cheap bast  ds.

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 01:15:33 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

If what players are saying is true, and it probably is if the fan's reported social media about Westbrook (not linking them) is legit, then a fair result seems to be Westbrook being suspended for a game or two and the fan being suspended for life.
banning fans for heckling is sad. The fan made a joke about westbrooks relationship with Durant and now they want him banned for life. Might as well not allow noise in the arena

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 01:16:47 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

If what players are saying is true, and the fan's social media posts (not linking them) are legit it probably is, then a fair result seems to be Westbro.ok being suspended for a game or two and the fan being suspended for life.

I would not suspend Westbrook,,,, that is just BS to protect the NBA brand. The fan deserved what he got. NBA needs to man up or provide their players better security. Cheap bast  s.

You can't threaten a fan with violence, particularly including a female fan whose involvement isn't really established. Even if you think it's just hot air the league has zero interest in clips of star players saying that kind of stuff circulating around. There were no "death threats" though, that's just silly.

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 01:17:31 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

banning fans for heckling is sad. The fan made a joke about westbrooks relationship with Durant and now they want him banned for life. Might as well not allow noise in the arena

these players do not know what soccer players go through in europe and south america

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 01:18:17 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I think it'd depend on what the fan said as well. Utah fans have started to build a rep with some of their language - particularly of the racist variety.  .

You can call me any racial or derogatory slur in the book. I respect peoples freedom of speech, so I'd never threaten anyone's life or physical well being. If someone threatened my life, then id have to defend myself but words like those aren't threats

This is just another unprofessional moment in the life of Westbrook,  guy with history of being trashy with fans and media

Westbrook isn't going to follow through with taking someone's life, so wouldn't his words just fall under freedom of speech too? Or do the goalposts get moved for him?

Ron Artest and Russell Westbrook are two different people with two different histories. False equivalency.
I truly don't understand your point. My point is that the law clearly states threats of physical violence are not legal, whether its from a player like Artest, Westbrook, Yabusele, or Brian Scalabrine

You're saying "Westbrooks always been a nice guy, so the cops should let him threaten people"

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 01:30:28 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I truly don't understand your point. My point is that the law clearly states threats of physical violence are not legal, whether its from a player like Artest, Westbrook, Yabusele, or Brian Scalabrine

You're saying "Westbrooks always been a nice guy, so the cops should let him threaten people"

If you're trying make a legal argument, you'd have to prove intent. That wouldn't get very far. You can't say Russell Westbrook is likely to commit an act of violence because Ron Artest did 20 years ago. Based on Russell's actual history - in which he has been known to run his mouth - its significantly more likely he's speaking in the heat of the moment than he is to attempt to take a fan's life.

I'm sure he'll be reprimanded, but so should the fan. Freedom of speech gives you the right to say anything, but it doesn't remove consequences. We recently had an issue at my company in which we were negotiating a job offer to a candidate, but their background review turned up racist and homophobic social media posts. We withdrew from negotiations. That didn't impede on their right to say what they want, but we didn't have to cosign it. Jazz can make a similar decision with this fan.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2019, 01:42:03 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

I would not suspend Westbrook,,,, that is just BS to protect the NBA brand. The fan deserved what he got. NBA needs to man up or provide their players better security. Cheap bast  s.

You can't threaten a fan with violence, particularly including a female fan whose involvement isn't really established. Even if you think it's just hot air the league has zero interest in clips of star players saying that kind of stuff circulating around. There were no "death threats" though, that's just silly.

Westbrook broke the law by making terrorist threats to the fan..... the fan can press charges but he would look like a wuss so he probably doesnt. That been said, If Westbrook had kicked the fans butt it would have  gone a long way to stop unruly fan behavior

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2019, 01:54:04 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Westbrook broke the law by making terrorist threats to the fan..... the fan can press charges but he would look like a wuss so he probably doesnt. That been said, If Westbrook had kicked the fans butt it would have  gone a long way to stop unruly fan behavior

Westbrook is a diva that generates media attention and help sparks money for the NBA so he won't be suspended. If this was someone like say Marcus Morris or CJ Miles...suspended for the remainder of the season including playoffs.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2019, 02:04:04 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
If they threaten him with violence can he threaten them back?

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2019, 02:05:50 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Westbrook is a diva that generates media attention and help sparks money for the NBA so he won't be suspended. If this was someone like say Marcus Morris or CJ Miles...suspended for the remainder of the season including playoffs.

Remainder of the season for comments? There's no precedent for that - irregardless of player stature. The NBPA would be all over that. Now if the fan presses charges and he's actually convicted, sure.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2019, 02:07:21 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Oh I don't see where Westbrook will avoid a game or more suspension. Not when he went so far as to threaten a woman. Better to rightfully throw the diva under the bus than to tarnish the image of the NBA by making it look like the NBA condones such actions.

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2019, 02:08:08 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Threats aren’t protected speech.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2019, 02:26:15 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If they threaten him with violence can he threaten them back?
Two wrongs?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)