Author Topic: 2 coaches who may get fired (my opinion)  (Read 5821 times)

2 coaches who may get fired (my opinion)
« on: April 22, 2019, 07:50:23 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I think Billy Donovan of OKC and Brett Brown may get the ax esp if OKC lose in 1st round and 76ers in 2...just my opinion..what do u guys think?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: 2 coaches who may get fired (my opinion)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 08:28:30 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't love Donovan, but I'm not sure how critical I can be of a coach of Westbrook who also has to play Raymond Felton in a playoff game. The roster issues make it really tough for OKC to win in the playoffs.

Brett Brown....I can't decide, because that team seems like such a chemistry/fit disaster I'm not sure what a coach could do. I do like how he's tinkered in this series with Embiid being limited/out.

I will say I do not think losing to the Raptors is a fireable offense. Though I get if the FO/Ownership uses it as a reason to move onto a different coach.

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 08:30:15 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
It be 3 straight 1st round exit for OKC. someone going take the fall and ususally its the coach
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 08:52:13 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
It be 3 straight 1st round exit for OKC. someone going take the fall and ususally its the coach
Even worse if they don't extend the series it will have been three straight 5 game losses, and they were favored in the last two series.

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 08:55:25 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Real shame that OKC for basically the entirety of Durant and Westbrook's time there was saddled with Brooks and Donovan, both of whom are average at the absolute best coaches.  If they had a top tier coach there, I do wonder what they might have looked like.  Also, doesn't help losing Harden for like a million a year.  They absolutely need a better coach.  Maybe someone like Joerger who is a bit more of a disciplinarian and who has shown the ability to win.

I think Brown is safe unless they get blitzed by the Raptors.  An embarrassing sweep or gentlemen's sweep then he might be in trouble, but a tough hard fought series, I think he gets another year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 09:06:02 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I think OKC’s problem is roster construction more than coaching.  That lineup is horrible outside of the top three players and PG is the only guy on the roster who can shoot.

That may not save Donovan, though.  Easier for the GM to fire the coach than examine his own failures.

Can’t comment on Philly because I have no idea if there’s any truth to the “lost the team” noise out there.  I don’t think that losing to Toronto should be a fireable offense in itself, but maybe there’s more going on.

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 09:19:09 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Real shame that OKC for basically the entirety of Durant and Westbrook's time there was saddled with Brooks and Donovan, both of whom are average at the absolute best coaches.  If they had a top tier coach there, I do wonder what they might have looked like.  Also, doesn't help losing Harden for like a million a year.  They absolutely need a better coach.  Maybe someone like Joerger who is a bit more of a disciplinarian and who has shown the ability to win.

I think Brown is safe unless they get blitzed by the Raptors.  An embarrassing sweep or gentlemen's sweep then he might be in trouble, but a tough hard fought series, I think he gets another year.

Coaching has definitely been an issue in OKC.  That said, what are your thoughts about Westbrook being "uncoachable"?  It's very easy to understand why Durant finally had enough of playing with him. 

What I don't understand is that there are plenty of analytics to show that the offense in OKC is stale and inefficient.  Westbrook's individual playoff stats against elite competition are also a bit of an eyesore.  Is it possible that nobody in the organization has shown Westbrook the team "passes per game" statistic?  The Thunder don't need to be near the top with the current roster construction, but there should be an emphasis on moving towards the bottom 3rd or middle of the pack.  I've never seen a more talented player fight so hard for mediocre results. 

Houston is the only exception to this rule, mainly due to ridiculous skill level of Harden.  Still, I think the Rockets will hit a wall against Golden State this year.  Iguodala is healthier this time around and I expect the Warriors to be more mentally prepared after the roller coaster ride of last years WCF.  The competition in the East is also more threatening.   

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 09:28:03 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
I think the only thing that's been keeping Brown in his job with the Sixers is his personal relationship to Ben Simmons. He has known Simmons family since Simmons was a kid. I doubt management is going to rock the boat unless they think Simmons is ok with it.

If Butler walks I don't know if anything can save Brown. He traded 2 rotation players that were under contract for a rental of Butler. I understand the pros and cons of renting a star player, but Butler has thrown hissy-fits at his previous 2 teams. He's not exactly the kind of player that you take risks on.

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 10:02:25 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Donovan is a decent coach. I don’t think he’s the issue. You can put Red, POP, or Phil Jackson with Westbrook and they still aren’t winning Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 10:06:42 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Donovan probably will deserve to get fired if he doesn't somehow get to the next round (which would be a miracle).

But OKC's biggest problem will remain: Russell Westbrook's dominance despite his inefficiency.  Unless they do a better job of surrounding him with shooters, history is doomed to repeat itself.  He has tried to make up for the shooting slack with PG sore shoulder, and just is not getting it done.

Ironically, Mr. Triple Double is starting to look like an anachronism in today's 3 point league.  You just can't win that way.

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 10:14:29 AM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
The TNT guys were pretty harsh on OKC last night, blaming both the coaching (there's no plays, no pacing -- are they a fast break team? half-court?) and Westbrook/George, as 2 stars who play hero ball and don't get their teammates involved. As veteran stars, they should know how to play better than they have been. Shaq, Kenny and Charles were all of the same opinion.

Consensus was that the team needs an identity, a coach to take ownership and the star players to stop playing the way they do.

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 10:52:22 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
The TNT guys were pretty harsh on OKC last night, blaming both the coaching (there's no plays, no pacing -- are they a fast break team? half-court?) and Westbrook/George, as 2 stars who play hero ball and don't get their teammates involved. As veteran stars, they should know how to play better than they have been. Shaq, Kenny and Charles were all of the same opinion.

Consensus was that the team needs an identity, a coach to take ownership and the star players to stop playing the way they do.

Paul George is being wasted right now.  He has enough offensive skill to function as a high usage player in a successful offense.  OKC is in a really tough spot when it comes to improving their roster.  It would serve them well to find a guard who can excel in the P&R and hit open jumpers as a spot up shooter.  Maybe they can take a flier on an aging Goran Dragic.  They really don't have the financial flexibility to make any big moves. 

Westbrook needs to develop a corner three, learn how to cut, and become more of an off-ball guard.  His usage rate should probably drop into the low 20's at this stage of his career. 

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 10:54:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

That is almost all coaching.  They just don't have a good coach.  Give them a real coach and I think a lot of their problems disappear.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 11:45:52 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Its not all coaching.

Watch what happens when PG gets the ball in some screening action. Both players play PG and the help is VERY far from any of the "shooters" as well.

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 11:48:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Westbrook needs to develop a corner three, learn how to cut, and become more of an off-ball guard.  His usage rate should probably drop into the low 20's at this stage of his career.
That's the dilemma, Russ without the ball isn't a threat. But you really don't want him with the ball as much as he has it. Even this year his usage is too high for a team to be a high level contender. (and he did make a BIG effort to dial it back and give PG/others more run)