Author Topic: Smart on ‘The Jump’, “We were dysfunctional”  (Read 8048 times)

Re: Smart on ‘The Jump’, “We were dysfunctional”
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2019, 12:03:26 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I know it goes against Brad's philosophy of team building, but Marcus should be made team captain.

Please god. No.

With Horford gone, he's unquestionably the leader of the team and with his work ethic and passion, there's no one else I'd rather it be.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2019, 02:13:05 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
 To me it has to be Kemba or things could fall apart quickly again. Kemba’s been a great leader his whole career. Marcus’s effort on the court is great but skill, temperament and basketball IQ is why I’d be really surprised it would be anybody but him. But I respect others opinion and realize that most of Boston would likely want Smart to be captain.

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2019, 07:16:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I think Marcus is the only one who can be Alpha and back it up and lead .  He is a natural leader.....the best ones lead by example , nobody gives as much effort , not with lip,service like Kryie .  Who should have just plain never said anything ,  team would have been better off.

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2019, 07:39:37 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
It seems to me that the player who talks about Marcus being a leader the most is Marcus.  Self-promotion is seldom a good thing.  Until he stops taking bad hero shots and forcing hero passes he is not a desirable leader.  I see Marcus as having a lot of Ron Artest in him?  Not really a captain/leader.
If we are going to have a Captain it should be Kemba.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 08:03:39 PM by feckless »
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2019, 08:36:34 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I know it goes against Brad's philosophy of team building, but Marcus should be made team captain.

Please god. No.

With Horford gone, he's unquestionably the leader of the team and with his work ethic and passion, there's no one else I'd rather it be.

I’m sympathetic to your point of view and share your estimation of his leadership - and despite mistakes he’s made earlier in his career.

Having said that I believe that having one Leader is less effective than a culture of leadership. Jaylen accepting his role to come off the bench, giving his all without a word of complaint... that’s leadership. Ojeleye’s superhuman work ethic... leadership. Brad taking responsibility for everything that didn’t work... leadership. And, Smart going on The Jump and standing up for his guys... that, too, is leadership.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2019, 01:18:11 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
It was a case of too many good players and not enough great ones.

Celts had 7 players last season who deserved to be starters.

But only 5 can start a basketball game.

The 2008 Celtics won a championship because players know their roles.

Last season's Celtics was like a tryout, players trying to prove they deserve more minutes and shots.

And who allowed that to fester?

If we're going to blame someone for last year's mess, blame Danny Ainge.

I'm a fan of Danny Ainge, but last season he was all in on Anthony Davis and it backfired.

Ainge could have done something, like trade Rozier or Morris, but Ainge didn't want to sacrifice any of the assets and cap flexibility.

The Celts were playing to win the Anthony Davis sweepstakes last season.

I am thinking the coach let it fester, or was he not in charge?
I think you’re missing the point.  The coach was handed two left shoes.  They were nice shoes but there is only so much you can do to maximize the outcome when the parts don’t work so well together.

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2019, 03:35:33 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Please god. No.

I’m sympathetic to your point of view and share your estimation of his leadership - and despite mistakes he’s made earlier in his career.

Having said that I believe that having one Leader is less effective than a culture of leadership. Jaylen accepting his role to come off the bench, giving his all without a word of complaint... that’s leadership. Ojeleye’s superhuman work ethic... leadership. Brad taking responsibility for everything that didn’t work... leadership. And, Smart going on The Jump and standing up for his guys... that, too, is leadership.

I don't think having a captain makes it harder to establish a culture or leadership. Look at the Duncan Spurs. Those were teams full of people who took responsibility for themselves but it all stemmed from Duncan. Most great teams had a top dog leader who set the tone.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2019, 05:19:18 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
To me it has to be Kemba or things could fall apart quickly again. Kemba’s been a great leader his whole career.

I hear this a lot but I personally have my doubts.   He has been really productive on bad teams.  He had lead his teams  to the playoffs twice in what eight or nine years and both times were first round exits.  So what are folks basing this on?

I hope I am wrong though.

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2019, 05:40:08 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
To me it has to be Kemba or things could fall apart quickly again. Kemba’s been a great leader his whole career.

I hear this a lot but I personally have my doubts.   He has been really productive on bad teams.  He had lead his teams  to the playoffs twice in what eight or nine years and both times were first round exits.  So what are folks basing this on?

I hope I am wrong though.
Not sure this has anything to do with leadership.  Most of Charlotte's lack of success is because MJ has turned out to be a rather lousy GM/owner.

IMO, Smart is the best choice for Captain, and he is not even projected to be a starter.

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2019, 06:14:20 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Not sure this has anything to do with leadership.  Most of Charlotte's lack of success is because MJ has turned out to be a rather lousy GM/owner.

As I stated people keep talking about this leadership and I asked for tangible examples and I still waiting for the answer.   

BTW, I think winning a playoff series requires some leadership.

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2019, 08:15:03 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

As I stated people keep talking about this leadership and I asked for tangible examples and I still waiting for the answer.   

He won an NCAA championship even though they weren't the favorite.

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2019, 10:21:33 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610

He won an NCAA championship even though they weren't the favorite.

Furthermore that year he willed his team to win 5 games in 5 days to claim the Big East Championship, again not favored. The only other NBA "talent" on the roster that year was Shabazz Napier and Jeremy Lamb, both freshman at the time.

Edit: Here is an article from College coach Jim Calhoun, where he speaks of Kemba's leadershi.
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/jim-calhoun-kemba-walker-would-make-celtics-young-players-better

Celtics4ever can stop waiting now...

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2019, 10:26:19 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Roster construction during Kemba's time in Charlotte was pretty atrocious.  Who was his best teammate in that time? Jefferson? Batum? Henderson?  Doesn't exactly scream recipe for success.    Seems that past teammates have spoke glowingly about Walker and I don't recall any drama centered around him or locker room strife.  Seems like a good enough kid.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2019, 05:26:04 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
After hearing Marcus’ comments I worry again about this year. I don’t see how the pieces fit together any better than they did last year, and you’ll have Jaylen (the one guy who did figure it out) going into a contract year and wanting to show he can create, while Jayson wants to be an all-star and his clearest path is by scoring a lot. Both of them will be playing next to Kemba (all-NBA scorer) and Hayward (former 20+ ppg all-star with something to prove). Even if Enes is content getting his points in the pick and roll and converting offensive rebounds (is he?), I’m not sure how it works out better than last year. And did I mention  we drafted a score-first wing with our late-lottery pick?

As much as I like Kemba Walker and am so happy he is here instead of Irving, I would have preferred the Celtics finding a playmaking point guard instead of an isolation scorer like Walker. The strength of this team is our wings with three players of All-Star caliber ability. Why not focus on ball movement and letting those guys score within the offense ? We could have used the extra money for more help in the post or to have kept Baynes.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce