Author Topic: Rob Williams vs players like him in NBA  (Read 6663 times)

Re: Rob Williams vs players like him in NBA
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2021, 05:18:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
R. Williams is the most talented player on this roster. He's even more talented than Tatum imo. Brad Stevens needs to unleash this guy. He is a MASSIVE difference maker. The Celtics should lock him up long term regardless of the health implications. He's worth it.
How is a guy who can't shoot or dribble more talented than an All-NBA calibre wing?
I'm guessing that he thinks Robert can develop some sort of offensive game to go along with his great off-ball/high-post skillset and turn into an elite defensive anchor.
That would have to be some serious development for a guy who is limited by his physical conditions to below 30MPG, according to Stevens
I mean people are still dreaming that Tatum can somehow explode in every single facet of offence to become the next LeBron/Durant lol, let them dream :laugh:
Maybe both happen and JT and TimeLord become the next Kobe and Shaq ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2021, 12:53:47 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
I personally do not see the appeal of R. Williams. He’s too short to be a starting center in this league, even in 2021. Nice rotational guy/solid backup center for when you want to play small ball. A team with a good not great center, like Capela or Turner or Allen, could really benefit from having him 16-18 MPG. I don’t see him ever being that 30+ MPG guy we need...

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2021, 01:44:31 AM »

Offline Alec14

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
I personally do not see the appeal of R. Williams. He’s too short to be a starting center in this league, even in 2021. Nice rotational guy/solid backup center for when you want to play small ball. A team with a good not great center, like Capela or Turner or Allen, could really benefit from having him 16-18 MPG. I don’t see him ever being that 30+ MPG guy we need...

I guess I'd disagree. Does height matter, or wingspan? Robert Williams has a 40 inch vertical and 7'5.5 wingspan. His arms are ridiculously long. Embiid's wingspan is 7'6. Anthony Davis is 7'6. Steven Adams is 7'5. His frame is pretty solid, too, though massive centers like Embiid can probably still back him down. But how many centers could have switched onto Zion, stayed with him, then rejected his shot? 

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2021, 03:26:12 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
His height is almost irrelevant with his vertical leap and wingspan. I'd rate his verticality better than Zeller, DeAndre Jordan, Wendell Carter Jr., Maxi Kleber, Jokic, Plumlee, Looney, Christian Wood, Serge Ibaka, Montrezl Harrell, Jonas Valanciunas, Brook Lopez, Al Horford, Enes Kanter, Richaun Holmes, LaMarcus Aldridge, Aron Baynes and Mo Wagner. That's the majority of starting bigs

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2021, 03:38:38 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
His height is almost irrelevant with his vertical leap and wingspan. I'd rate his verticality better than Zeller, DeAndre Jordan, Wendell Carter Jr., Maxi Kleber, Jokic, Plumlee, Looney, Christian Wood, Serge Ibaka, Montrezl Harrell, Jonas Valanciunas, Brook Lopez, Al Horford, Enes Kanter, Richaun Holmes, LaMarcus Aldridge, Aron Baynes and Mo Wagner. That's the majority of starting bigs

I second Gouki here. What are you watching? He's got a 7'5" wingspan  and a 40 inch vertical!!!

He's 6'8" tall with no shoes. Ben wallace was 6'6" no shoes. Not only does he jump high. He leaves the ground so fast, so explosive, there are only a handful of guys on the planet that can leap that fast.

His biggest problem is his lack of balance and core strength.  He's on the ground WAY too much.

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2021, 04:25:19 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Short and Rob Williams probably do not belong in the same sentence.

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2021, 12:11:11 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
 Good half court defense is about anticipation and understanding what the opposing offensive players are trying to do.

All the quickness in the world won't help you if you're a step behind mentally.

This is what I notice when I watch Timelord.  Great athlete who is still getting caught ball watching and doesn't really understand how to play defense yet.

The Celtics obviously need him to make a mental leap to be a contender.

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2021, 02:08:50 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

He's got a 7'5" wingspan  and a 40 inch vertical!!!

He's 6'8" tall with no shoes. Ben wallace was 6'6" no shoes. Not only does he jump high. He leaves the ground so fast, so explosive, there are only a handful of guys on the planet that can leap that fast.

His biggest problem is his lack of balance and core strength.  He's on the ground WAY too much.

Great points, wholeheartedly agree, except I've got quibbles with the last two.

1) Frankly don't see the lack of balance. Not sure why you think he lacks core strength, either.

2) "He's on the ground WAY too much" - don't disagree, just to add to it: he does not consistently get into a defensive stance. So moving, especially lateral movement, requires milliseconds of extra preparation for him, and this can be costly when switched onto dribblers with a quick first step. Posters have criticized his lateral movement, and there's a truth in that. If he starts from a defensive stance, he's got awesome laterals.

My concern is that he might not be consistently getting into the stance because of hip or knee discomfort.

Even with that he gets a whole lot of deflections (second to Marcus Smart last time I checked, per 36).

He's unique and nowhere near his considerable potential. Looks like he's got the work ethic. I've heard people claim he lacks BBIQ but I can't disagree more. He's a basketball savant, just has extraordinary feel for the game.

The only thing that can stop him is his weird physiology - unfortunately there's a good chance that it WILL stop him.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2021, 02:19:24 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

I second Gouki here. What are you watching? He's got a 7'5" wingspan  and a 40 inch vertical!!!

I honestly think he’s taller than 6’8”. Whenever I see him next to Tatum, Theis or Thompson he looks an inch or two taller.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2021, 10:28:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Good half court defense is about anticipation and understanding what the opposing offensive players are trying to do.

All the quickness in the world won't help you if you're a step behind mentally.

This is what I notice when I watch Timelord.  Great athlete who is still getting caught ball watching and doesn't really understand how to play defense yet.

The Celtics obviously need him to make a mental leap to be a contender.
I don't really get the "Timelord doesn't understand defence" argument. Our defence has been miles better with him on the court basically his whole career. Who cares if he misses reads when his defensive impact is so monstrous?

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2021, 11:13:02 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
When I watch him defend on the perimeter it often feels like he's not quite balanced or something. I think it's his footwork.

I think all basketball players should take dance classes to get a more solid understanding of their footwork. I think Rob, in particular, would benefit from something like that. He's got all the skills but I think it's about putting your body in the right positions.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008