Author Topic: Ainge's Draft Record since trading of Big Three  (Read 4668 times)

Re: Ainge's Draft Record since trading of Big Three
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2016, 02:59:22 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Has there ever been a GM that has hit on all his picks??? Considering Ainge has been drafting usually in the 20s for the better part of the past 8 years, his draft record isn't thaat outrageous. Yes, he's definitely missed on some picks. But he's hit on a couple too that are NBA players.

Every serious, rational analysis of Ainge's draft record shows that Ainge is above average as a drafter. When people do things like start threads like this, it's nothing but an excuse for them to indulge in their innate pessimism, their inability to enjoy life, and their compulsion to complain. It does provide psychologically healthy fans an opportunity to remind themselves of how good we have it. Dead horses do have their uses. Otherwise, it's an occasion for indifference and/or pity. I feel bad for the OP.

But what about reactionary, emotion based analyses?  Those are the truly valid ones

10 TPs in daily installments for this one-liner.

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2016, 03:09:41 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Man, what a bunch homers on this thread, like for real. We'll see who is right in the next two years. Until then let's enjoy the ride of getting humiliated in the playoffs because we can't draft. Oh by the way, your guy ainge was going to draft Winslow over porzingis. That was reported. Like I said, a bunch of homers on this thread.

Now you are knocking Ainge on a draft rumor? 

I mean no one gets lied to more then the draft insiders. 

By every  measure the like to use, Ainge is an above average drafter. 

And for all the guys you said he missed, how many of them are contributing to a winning team? 

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2016, 03:18:10 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Man, what a bunch homers on this thread, like for real. We'll see who is right in the next two years. Until then let's enjoy the ride of getting humiliated in the playoffs because we can't draft. Oh by the way, your guy ainge was going to draft Winslow over porzingis. That was reported. Like I said, a bunch of homers on this thread.

Who said that would have been wrong? Porzingis is really making the Knicks so much better isn't he? KP had a good few weeks. If you really want to base which pick was better 55 games into the NBA season I can' take any of your opinions seriously.

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2016, 03:18:54 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I don't think Ainge is a bad drafter but I do agree that Smart isn't going to be more than a role player as a shooting guard or a combo guard off the bench. Doesn't mean he was a bad pick because most people had him going that high and he has already helped win us a bunch of games.  He plays hard and is a good defender. He's a solid athlete but he isn't a good shooter and doesn't have good handles and struggles to get to the hoop.  I just don't see why anyone still expects him to be more than a role player.  He has role player written all over him.  He can't shoot or create offense.  What he is going to do is play his behind off and lock up on defense so I'll take it. Tony Allen but less bouncy and more skilled as far as having a tighter handle (which isn't saying much) and a better shooter (not saying much at all). But his role offensively is going to be a cutter off the ball because he has good instincts and is a good finisher and he is going to be able to play pg for some minutes.  I'm happy with an all-nba defender (not sure if out fanbase hypes him up as a defender too much or not) at the number 6 pick.

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2016, 03:22:05 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown

Who said that would have been wrong? Porzingis is really making the Knicks so much better isn't he? KP had a good few weeks. If you really want to base which pick was better 55 games into the NBA season I can' take any of your opinions seriously.

I'm sure several GMs had Winslow over Porzingis.  KP couldve turned out to be a scrub and people would say choosing him over whoever was a huge mistake.  He was an extremely risky pick.. HINDSIGHT HINDSIGHT HINDSIGHT.

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2016, 03:45:46 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I give up. We will see who is right in two years.

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2016, 04:02:29 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Yes. That is when we will know who is right.

If you really want to evaluate a draft you probably need 5 years or even more.

Right now, Id say taking Kelly at 13 has proved to be good, taking Smart at 6 looks fine, Young at 17 looks dumb, and you absolutely cannot evaluate Hunter Rozier Mickey.

I think its fair to critique Ainges drafting but you cant just say "hes been bad" because he hasnt. what he has struggled with is risky players. As you said, he was likely to take Winslow over KP.

This means that Ainge would have passed up KP, GA, and  Schroeder instead he took risks on Melo, Young, and  Giddens.

When hes taken guys with less than superstar potential (Smart KO Sully AB) hes done quite well.

The problem is that when you have only picked in the lotto twice, the top 10 once, and the top 5 0 times its hard to find star potential.

If you list draft misses you can make any team out to be idiotic.

Its strange that you limit your critique to "since the big 3 trade" because you pretty much selected all the drafts that you cant really evaluate yet and evaluated them.

Bottom line:

Lets wait a few years, then judge the past 2 drafts. If you wanna rip on Ainge rip on JJ and Melo not Smart and KO
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2016, 04:15:42 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

For future reference, four pages into the inflammatory thread you started yourself counts as a bit late for such a realization.

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2016, 04:21:13 PM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Man, what is with all the people on these forums that think the slightest criticism = total disdain?  That's not how the world works.

I'm critical of Danny's draft record.  I don't think he's been great.  and I think there's enough evidence to prove that, even if you don't want to include Rozier/Portis for comparison, which is fair.

But good god, if I think the guy is bad at drafting doesn't mean Im saying he's an awful gm.  It's just a criticism.  Too many people vigorously jump to his defense because it seems like you are offended that other people may think he has a flaw?  Idk. Doesn't make sense to me.  I like Danny as our GM for the most part, but he's far from perfect.  Most GMs are.  And yes, most GMs are worse I'd say, but there ARE some that are better all around GMs than him.  It happens. Doesn't mean I want to see him go.  I'd bet there's a majority of ppl that feel that same way.

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2016, 04:26:57 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Man, what is with all the people on these forums that think the slightest criticism = total disdain?  That's not how the world works.

I'm critical of Danny's draft record.  I don't think he's been great.  and I think there's enough evidence to prove that, even if you don't want to include Rozier/Portis for comparison, which is fair.

But good god, if I think the guy is bad at drafting doesn't mean Im saying he's an awful gm.  It's just a criticism.  Too many people vigorously jump to his defense because it seems like you are offended that other people may think he has a flaw?  Idk. Doesn't make sense to me.  I like Danny as our GM for the most part, but he's far from perfect.  Most GMs are.  And yes, most GMs are worse I'd say, but there ARE some that are better all around GMs than him.  It happens. Doesn't mean I want to see him go.  I'd bet there's a majority of ppl that feel that same way.

Criticism is fine.

If it's backed with evidence and facts, that criticism is fodder for a serious and reasonable discussion.

If it's unfounded opinion, then that's fine too, but it makes for a very different discussion.

And if you're in the world of unfounded opinion, calling those who disagree with you "homers" and labeling Danny's decisions "dumb" is both inflammatory and against the spirit of these forums.

It's pretty simple really.

(I'm not saying you did any of that by the way. But you asked.)

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2016, 04:29:43 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I honestly havent seen a ton of disrespect on this thread. Most people concede Danny has had some issues with drafting but believe he is on the whole a good drafter and a great GM overall.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2016, 04:32:28 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
Yes. That is when we will know who is right.

If you really want to evaluate a draft you probably need 5 years or even more.

Right now, Id say taking Kelly at 13 has proved to be good, taking Smart at 6 looks fine, Young at 17 looks dumb, and you absolutely cannot evaluate Hunter Rozier Mickey.

I think its fair to critique Ainges drafting but you cant just say "hes been bad" because he hasnt. what he has struggled with is risky players. As you said, he was likely to take Winslow over KP.

This means that Ainge would have passed up KP, GA, and  Schroeder instead he took risks on Melo, Young, and  Giddens.

When hes taken guys with less than superstar potential (Smart KO Sully AB) hes done quite well.

The problem is that when you have only picked in the lotto twice, the top 10 once, and the top 5 0 times its hard to find star potential.

If you list draft misses you can make any team out to be idiotic.

Its strange that you limit your critique to "since the big 3 trade" because you pretty much selected all the drafts that you cant really evaluate yet and evaluated them.

Bottom line:

Lets wait a few years, then judge the past 2 drafts. If you wanna rip on Ainge rip on JJ and Melo not Smart and KO

Well said. Exactly what I would say if i had better writting skills

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2016, 04:44:22 PM »

Offline passesofftodj

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
I have to say, Ainge's draft picks haven't really panned out so far since he broke up the Big 3. He picked KO over the greak freak, which at the time I thought was really dumb. Smart looks like a role player. I personally preferred Randle and Saric at the time. We don't know about Saric, but I think we can conclude Randle is better since he is averaging a double double and this is his rookie year. James Young is a bust and he could've drafted Rodney Hood. He also drafted Rozier, who hasn't done anything, Hunter, and Mickey. Maybe Mickey will be decent...The rest haven't done anything. And TBH, both Rozier and Hunter are older rookies so they should make an impact their first year. In my experience, you can usually tell if someone is good their rookie year. I mean it's not like this current roster is stacked. There is an open window for Rozier and Hunter. Both had chances, and both sucked. Especially Hunter, who couldn't shoot.

Maybe it's too early to tell, but I think it is time to start putting some heat on Ainge. The guy receives no pressure from the fans or media. This trade deadline, he did nothing and people are saying he is saving it for the summer? Are people here serious? Did they not see what happened last summer? The only thing I know is the mystery team at this current deadline backed out. That means they didn't want what Ainge was offering. That's it. And please do not bring Thomas into this. That guy is a product of Steven's system and is not even the third banana on a championship team. Just put Shumpert on him and he'll get destroyed.

Thoughts.

That thing called context, though....

How so? Randle would have more value in the open market. Dude is averaging a double double. What am I missing? What has smart done this year? I saw him get burned by Paul George and Hayward tonight. Like the dude isn't even a starter.

Randle will never be a great player and he is putting up numbers on a bad team.  Smart is a better team player, much better defender, and has a higher ceiling.  He is sneaky good like DJ (not saying he will be nearly that good, but I think he is more than just a Tony Allen).

Sure Hood and the Greek Freak would be great but I still like KO.  I don't think anyone expects IT to be the lead dog on a championship level team.  This is a rebuild with some nice current perks.

I personally didn't like this last draft, especially Rozier, but there are a lot of picks these next few years so we will see if Danny hits.  If 4-5 years from now the team is stagnated in perpetual 43 wins and we blew all the Nets picks then we can complain.  For now we have great future potential in the league along with the Jazz and TWolves, and which organization do you trust more?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 04:50:05 PM by passesofftodj »

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2016, 04:58:41 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Smart has to be one of the most frustrating players to root for. He has one great game where he shows his potential and then goes on to shoot 1-9 in the rising stars game, where they play no D, and then shoot 1-5 with 3 wild attempts at the rim last night.

Dude is just so inconsistent.

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2016, 09:55:45 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Smart has to be one of the most frustrating players to root for. He has one great game where he shows his potential and then goes on to shoot 1-9 in the rising stars game, where they play no D, and then shoot 1-5 with 3 wild attempts at the rim last night.

Dude is just so inconsistent.
That just means he isn't good on offense. Having great games every now and then is common for rotation fodder. The best games and worst games don't really indicate how good a player is. Thinking Smart is as good as his best game is like thinking Kobe is as good as his 70+ point game.