Author Topic: Ainge's Draft Record since trading of Big Three  (Read 4659 times)

Re: Ainge's Draft Record since trading of Big Three
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2016, 12:47:11 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Giannis vs KO   -   Still have to wait until next season to have the final judgement

btw imo CBS was the one that liked KO more than Danny did.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Olynyk was drafted before Stevens was hired that summer. Smart was the first pick Stevens had input on.

no.  It was in the works for CBS to be hired and draft happened about the same time

KO caused butler alot of issues .  Imo CBS was impressed

Dang it triboy, making me google stuff lol. He was hired July 3rd, 2013. The 2013 NBA Draft took place on June 27. I'd need to see some sources saying Stevens was involved in the Olynyk pick to make this stretch.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/9448871/brad-stevens-hired-boston-celtics-head-coach

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2016, 12:49:57 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
Sigh... Do we have to have another one of these threads? Can someone post him a picture of a dead horse to figuratively beat?

TP to both. I was literally just about to ask why anyone even bothers to respond to these threads. He is either a troll or has no idea about NBA basketball.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2016, 12:51:35 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Not everyone that is drafted even becomes a legit NBA players.  Some of you expect too much from mid first round picks.  WAY TOO MUCH. Nobody is good at drafting if the criteria is how many stars you draft with picks in the teens and 20s.  13th pick 19th pick 20th 16th... They aren't supposed to become great players.  They are barely expected to become role players. Danny Aingr has drafted a huge amount of legit NBA players and actually found a gem in Rajon Rondo later in the first round and Kendrick Perkins at 25th that helped us win a championship.  So how is he bad at drafting? Because there's 2 or 3 better players choosen after the player he picks that become better? The same can be said to every franchise in the league !!! Of course there are going to be players we should've picked but hindsight is 20/20. How many of you would've made the "correct" picks every year. So how is he bad at drafting? Because Jared Sullinger( picked like 20th and has become a legit NBA player) isn't a superstar?  Or because Kelly Olynyk (13th pick?) isn't a superstar? He's clearly a good NBA player too.  Or because Avery Bradley who was like the 19th pick isn't an all star?  He's good. They are not supposed to become anything more than hopefully players that actually play.  And Marcus Smart was the right pick at 6 because there was nobody else worth taking. I'm not a huge Smart fan because I never saw the intrigue.. But thats besides the point.  The thing is every mock draft had him as a lock for a top 6 pick and Randle was the only one who could maybe be argued should've been picked at the time. No thanks on Randle.  James Young was taken 17th !!! And was only 18 !!! Terry Rozier was taken 16th and was a risky pick but hes only in year one behind several good guards on a 3rd seed team.. Give hime time.. Danny can not possibly even be considered a bad drafter.  If anything he is pretty good.

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2016, 01:06:23 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Has there ever been a GM that has hit on all his picks??? Considering Ainge has been drafting usually in the 20s for the better part of the past 8 years, his draft record isn't thaat outrageous. Yes, he's definitely missed on some picks. But he's hit on a couple too that are NBA players.

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2016, 01:18:50 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Has there ever been a GM that has hit on all his picks??? Considering Ainge has been drafting usually in the 20s for the better part of the past 8 years, his draft record isn't thaat outrageous. Yes, he's definitely missed on some picks. But he's hit on a couple too that are NBA players.

Every serious, rational analysis of Ainge's draft record shows that Ainge is above average as a drafter. When people do things like start threads like this, it's nothing but an excuse for them to indulge in their innate pessimism, their inability to enjoy life, and their compulsion to complain. It does provide psychologically healthy fans an opportunity to remind themselves of how good we have it. Dead horses do have their uses. Otherwise, it's an occasion for indifference and/or pity. I feel bad for the OP.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2016, 01:48:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Giannis vs KO   -   Still have to wait until next season to have the final judgement

btw imo CBS was the one that liked KO more than Danny did.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Olynyk was drafted before Stevens was hired that summer. Smart was the first pick Stevens had input on.

no.  It was in the works for CBS to be hired and draft happened about the same time

KO caused butler alot of issues .  Imo CBS was impressed

Dang it triboy, making me google stuff lol. He was hired July 3rd, 2013. The 2013 NBA Draft took place on June 27. I'd need to see some sources saying Stevens was involved in the Olynyk pick to make this stretch.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/9448871/brad-stevens-hired-boston-celtics-head-coach

You will never see that

KO is not the type of player doc/Danny has drafted in the past

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2016, 02:09:34 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
8/10 troll
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2016, 02:09:48 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
So you want to put heat on a DA, let's look at his weaknesses and what he's done well.

Weakness:
Drafting

Positives:
Wins: 25 year 1, 40 years 2, on pace for 50 year 3
Flexibility: Numerous assets, Important draft picks, Cap flexibility
Roster: A roster that is serviceable, putting together an exciting brand of basketball, and plays together. 
Playoffs: year 2 of the rebuild made the playoffs, and year 3 sits at the 3rd seed currently.

I see more positives than negatives. There's no one I'd rather have steering the ship than DA.

One last point: There was no one available this deadline other than Howard and Horford. Overpaying on rentals could potentially set the rebuild back. Look at the numerous articles about it.

TP. I think this is a good point. The problem is that we are really dependent on the draft because we are still rebuilding. The draft was key and I'm afraid it may really hurt us in the end.

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2016, 02:14:08 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

Every serious, rational analysis of Ainge's draft record shows that Ainge is above average as a drafter. When people do things like start threads like this, it's nothing but an excuse for them to indulge in their innate pessimism, their inability to enjoy life, and their compulsion to complain. It does provide psychologically healthy fans an opportunity to remind themselves of how good we have it. Dead horses do have their uses. Otherwise, it's an occasion for indifference and/or pity. I feel bad for the OP.

Dude, you're not considering his recent draft record. Look at the Bulls, they draft really well. I'm just saying nobody puts heat on ainge. I also don't understand the infatuation with Smart on this board. Can someone provide substance on how he is more than a role player? It bothers me because people are trying to act like that is a ridiculous statement. I'm not going to apologize for not being a Homer. This is rondo all over again.

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2016, 02:18:10 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
Sigh... Do we have to have another one of these threads? Can someone post him a picture of a dead horse to figuratively beat?

TP to both. I was literally just about to ask why anyone even bothers to respond to these threads. He is either a troll or has no idea about NBA basketball.

Look, I don't understand why you are being so rude. Because I don't agree with you? I def know more about basketball than you do. If you think smart is more than a role player, then wait to be embarrassed in 2 years because I'm going to make another thread on it to remind you. It's so crazy that I'm looked down on for criticizing ainge. Like I said in my original post, did ainge not make it seem like there were going to be fireworks last summer? Guess what happened? Nothing. Same thing will happen this year. Who would trade a star for the fourth pick? I mean you guys are all hallucinating.

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2016, 02:21:22 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
Man, what a bunch homers on this thread, like for real. We'll see who is right in the next two years. Until then let's enjoy the ride of getting humiliated in the playoffs because we can't draft. Oh by the way, your guy ainge was going to draft Winslow over porzingis. That was reported. Like I said, a bunch of homers on this thread.

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2016, 02:28:18 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Man, what a bunch homers on this thread, like for real. We'll see who is right in the next two years. Until then let's enjoy the ride of getting humiliated in the playoffs because we can't draft. Oh by the way, your guy ainge was going to draft Winslow over porzingis. That was reported. Like I said, a bunch of homers on this thread.

Since you seem like a very knowledgeable guy on all things draft. Can you please put your very own 2016 Draft Board before it actually happens? I don't want anyone to assume you're simply a Monday morning QB and take away from your ability to evaluate talent. It should be a very interesting read.

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2016, 02:34:45 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

Since you seem like a very knowledgeable guy on all things draft. Can you please put your very own 2016 Draft Board before it actually happens? I don't want anyone to assume you're simply a Monday morning QB and take away from your ability to evaluate talent. It should be a very interesting read.

LOL, just confirms god forbid I question the celtics. I can't do that cause I don't know the board well enough. At least I'm honest. I mean I'm not getting paid to watch these guys live, lol. However I do know I know more than that guy attacking my post.

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2016, 02:46:10 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Dude, you're not considering his recent draft record. Look at the Bulls, they draft really well. I'm just saying nobody puts heat on ainge. I also don't understand the infatuation with Smart on this board. Can someone provide substance on how he is more than a role player? It bothers me because people are trying to act like that is a ridiculous statement. I'm not going to apologize for not being a Homer. This is rondo all over again.

The Bulls took Tony Snell over Gobert in 2013, and Marquis Teague (out of the NBA) over Jae Crowder, Draymond Green, and Kris Middleton in 2012.  How can they draft "really well" with misses like that?

Edit: and in 2014, they took McDermott over Lavine, Hood, and Jordan Clarkson.

Clearly they are the worst drafting team in the league
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 02:51:19 PM by BitterJim »
I'm bitter.

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2016, 02:47:59 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

But what about reactionary, emotion based analyses?  Those are the truly valid ones
I'm bitter.