Author Topic: Ainge's Draft Record since trading of Big Three  (Read 4664 times)

Re: Ainge's Draft Record since trading of Big Three
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 11:13:48 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
So you want to put heat on a DA, let's look at his weaknesses and what he's done well.

Weakness:
Drafting

Positives:
Wins: 25 year 1, 40 years 2, on pace for 50 year 3
Flexibility: Numerous assets, Important draft picks, Cap flexibility
Roster: A roster that is serviceable, putting together an exciting brand of basketball, and plays together. 
Playoffs: year 2 of the rebuild made the playoffs, and year 3 sits at the 3rd seed currently.

I see more positives than negatives. There's no one I'd rather have steering the ship than DA.

One last point: There was no one available this deadline other than Howard and Horford. Overpaying on rentals could potentially set the rebuild back. Look at the numerous articles about it.

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 11:18:16 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Here's some stats:

By Win Shares, from Bref:

2012 Sullinger, 21st pick, 7th in WS. (Crowder 8th, Zeller 11th)
2012 Fab Melo, nuff said
2013 KO, 13th pick, 7th in WS. (Interestingly 4 of the 6 ahead of him were drafted after him)
2014 Marcus Smart, 6th pick, 2nd in WS
2014 James Young, 17th pick, 29th. (Hood is first!)
2015 Too soon to tell anything.

You can't prove anything from these stats, but it is interesting how variable the outcomes are relative to draft position.  So many misses and surprising hits.  With those 5 picks you can say Ainge has done well with 3, had a complete miss with Melo, and Young probably being a miss as well.  So maybe a B-.

Here's the link:  http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2014.html

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 11:24:00 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
So you want to put heat on a DA, let's look at his weaknesses and what he's done well.

Weakness:
Drafting

Positives:
Roster: A roster that is serviceable, putting together an exciting brand of basketball, and plays together. 
Playoffs: year 2 of the rebuild made the playoffs, and year 3 sits at the 3rd seed currently.

I see more positives than negatives. There's no one I'd rather have steering the ship than DA.

One last point: There was no one available this deadline other than Howard and Horford. Overpaying on rentals could potentially set the rebuild back. Look at the numerous articles about it.
as has been demonstrated and proven sooooooo many times here, ainge is one of the better GMs at drafting. look at how many players he has drafted that turned into nba players for the slots he draft. less than 25% of the players drafted in the 20 turn into nba players.

ainge is above that average. same for draft spots teens.

if you only judge drafting ability based upon 20-20 hindsight on "misses" then every single team is awful at drafting, even san antonio.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 11:28:11 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132

Weakness:
Drafting

Positives:

as has been demonstrated and proven sooooooo many times here, ainge is one of the better GMs at drafting. look at how many players he has drafted that turned into nba players for the slots he draft. less than 25% of the players drafted in the 20 turn into nba players.

ainge is above that average. same for draft spots teens.

if you only judge drafting ability based upon 20-20 hindsight on "misses" then every single team is awful at drafting, even san antonio.

To be honest, I don't even think Danny is THAT bad of a drafter, I was just trying to make the original poster happy, and showing even if that were a weakness look at the positives he has done.

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2016, 11:32:01 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Sigh... Do we have to have another one of these threads? Can someone post him a picture of a dead horse to figuratively beat?

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2016, 11:36:14 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Smart looks like a role player.

Fail.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 01:23:14 PM by Dino Pitino »
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2016, 11:36:21 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Sigh... Do we have to have another one of these threads? Can someone post him a picture of a dead horse to figuratively beat?

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2016, 11:38:50 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
talk about jumping the gun

how is Portis better than Rozier - the end??

Portis got an opportunity because of injuries.     Has IT for example ever missed a game this season? 

Smart would be averaging 20points a game if he played for the lakers too.   They are just messing around right now.  And Randle would not be averaging a double double here.

Randle unwillingness to come for a 2nd workout, injury scare . You can't blame danny for taking Smart instead.  And it was the right choice

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2016, 11:42:38 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is not bad at drafting per se, but it is his weakest area, I would say.   He is one of the best GMs around, everyone has weak areas, no one is perfect.

Missing Draymond Green stings a lot.

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2016, 11:42:56 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum

Thank you. This thread can be locked now. We done here.

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2016, 11:45:03 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
How has Ainge compared to GMs who been around & have drafted in that same time window?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2016, 11:46:39 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Giannis vs KO   -   Still have to wait until next season to have the final judgement

btw imo CBS was the one that liked KO more than Danny did.   

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2016, 11:56:37 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
Giannis vs KO   -   Still have to wait until next season to have the final judgement

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Olynyk was drafted before Stevens was hired that summer. Smart was the first pick Stevens had input on.

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2016, 12:35:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Olynyk was drafted before Stevens was hired that summer. Smart was the first pick Stevens had input on.

no.  It was in the works for CBS to be hired and draft happened about the same time

KO caused butler alot of issues .  Imo CBS was impressed

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2016, 12:42:01 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

This is correct.  Stevens wasn't hired until the first week of July.  Olynyk was 100% Ainge.