Author Topic: ESPN Experts - On possible trades  (Read 14210 times)

Re: ESPN Experts - On possible trades
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 05:45:51 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Feels like its shaping up to be a buyers market.   Lots of teams selling; NY, Chi, LA, Sac, Mem, Phi ...but the only real team mentioned as a partner everytime seems to be us.
If i'm a big market team like Chicago, New York or LA, and feel like a title is unlikely this year, I give considerable thought into trading one of my star vets for a top draft pick... and free up cap space to be a major player this Summer.   Problem is, with the cap raising almost every team will have cap space this summer.  And perhaps teams like Boston could avoid taking on big money for the same reason... they can be a player in free agency this summer.   I think Ainge wants to have cap space for two max contracts... just in case.   You aren't winning a title with Danilo Gallinari as your best player.  At least give yourself a shot at signing Durant and Al Horford even if it's crazy unlikely.

Can we really be a player in free agency this summer though?
Have we ever even been in consideration for any top free agent ever? I know the argument is we never had cap space to go for one, but we are not a top FA destination with the cold weather, taxes, general Boston environment, etc. We would have to sell the heck out of CBS being the main attraction here, and can we really risk the future of this team to take that chance? I'm not saying its not a good option, I'm just not convinced. For example, what is the realistic chance that Durant signs with us this summer? 10% at best?

On the other hand, if Ainge wants to add Galinari and a center like Whiteside, he can easily get it done without losing any key pieces to the current team, and that lineup could be a contender.

I think the interesting question that will come up at some point before the trade deadline is, should the Celtics trade for Carmelo Anthony? He will be on the block, and we are the team in the best position to deal for him.
I see no reason to believe we can't be a player in free agency.   Celtics are a prestige franchise.  Nationally they have one of the 5 largest fanbases.  It's not a small market.   They have an elite coach, an elite front office, should make the playoffs and could even threaten to win close to 50 games this year without a single star.   Every top-level free agent should be taking our calls. 

We were never a player in free agency in the past, because the team literally never had cap space.   This last offseason was our first year with cap space.  We didn't have many options to add a star so Ainge set us up to maintain our flexibility this summer.  Also, I doubt free agents around the league really took Boston all that seriously.  We had a flukey late season run and then were curb stomped by the Cavs.  But we're showing enough this year that should suggest that we're a competent team or role players that just needs a couple stars to make us legitimate.

The problem with Gallo is that taking on his money might ruin your chance at luring two free agents this summer.

Holy hell, an extremely positive post from LarBrd33! About the Celtics, nonetheless! I'm so proud of you!

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 06:01:38 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The problem with Gallo is that taking on his money might ruin your chance at luring two free agents this summer.

Do the Celtics even need to lure two free agents this summer?   Arguably, Gallinari himself is enough to transform the Celtics into a legitimate contender if you don't have to give up key rotation players to get him.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 06:18:14 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
If the Celtics can't be a player in free agency than about 25/30 of the NBA should just give up on the whole idea. It's not like we're in Wyoming or something. (Apologies to any Wyoming-based Celticsbloggers out there)

Great words from a great man

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 06:24:34 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
If the Celtics can't be a player in free agency than about 25/30 of the NBA should just give up on the whole idea. It's not like we're in Wyoming or something. (Apologies to any Wyoming-based Celticsbloggers out there)

Your very close to being right...LOL.......Boston is no where near the bottom of the list of destinations.......I don't live in Boston .....but I'd say it is one of the top TEN basketball NBA cities.

Boston has a huge world wide fan base , only the Lakers can match. 

Soon as Lebron is finished .....Cleveland is no where once again.......lottery bucket team

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 06:29:19 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
So reportedly Dwight Howard is unhappy and wants to be traded..... again.

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 06:41:21 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

Pass on Dwight. I had doubts about his maturity and passion before he ended up in Houston. I have no doubts now, he's never going to be a guy you can build a team around.

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 07:17:45 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Feels like its shaping up to be a buyers market.   Lots of teams selling; NY, Chi, LA, Sac, Mem, Phi ...but the only real team mentioned as a partner everytime seems to be us.
If i'm a big market team like Chicago, New York or LA, and feel like a title is unlikely this year, I give considerable thought into trading one of my star vets for a top draft pick... and free up cap space to be a major player this Summer.   Problem is, with the cap raising almost every team will have cap space this summer.  And perhaps teams like Boston could avoid taking on big money for the same reason... they can be a player in free agency this summer.   I think Ainge wants to have cap space for two max contracts... just in case.   You aren't winning a title with Danilo Gallinari as your best player.  At least give yourself a shot at signing Durant and Al Horford even if it's crazy unlikely.

Have we ever even been in consideration for any top free agent ever? I know the argument is we never had cap space to go for one, but we are not a top FA destination with the cold weather, taxes, general Boston environment, etc. We would have to sell the heck out of CBS being the main attraction here, and can we really risk the future of this team to take that chance? I'm not saying its not a good option, I'm just not convinced. For example, what is the realistic chance that Durant signs with us this summer? 10% at best?

On the other hand, if Ainge wants to add Galinari and a center like Whiteside, he can easily get it done without losing any key pieces to the current team, and that lineup could be a contender.

I think the interesting question that will come up at some point before the trade deadline is, should the Celtics trade for Carmelo Anthony? He will be on the block, and we are the team in the best position to deal for him.
I see no reason to believe we can't be a player in free agency.   Celtics are a prestige franchise.  Nationally they have one of the 5 largest fanbases.  It's not a small market.   They have an elite coach, an elite front office, should make the playoffs and could even threaten to win close to 50 games this year without a single star.   Every top-level free agent should be taking our calls. 

We were never a player in free agency in the past, because the team literally never had cap space.   This last offseason was our first year with cap space.  We didn't have many options to add a star so Ainge set us up to maintain our flexibility this summer.  Also, I doubt free agents around the league really took Boston all that seriously.  We had a flukey late season run and then were curb stomped by the Cavs.  But we're showing enough this year that should suggest that we're a competent team or role players that just needs a couple stars to make us legitimate.

I haven't seen Gallo play this season so I'm not sure if I want him.  However if Ainge has an opportunity to make a significant upgrade to the team via a reasonable trade he needs to do it.  I just don't see that many difference makers on the free agency list especially when those that aren't going to leave their current team (e.g. Lebron, Drummond) and those I don't want (e.g. Wade, Howard) are removed.  Where would Gallo slot in?  Around Batum's position?  Would you rather have Gallo or Sully for 4yr/50mil? 
http://hoopshype.com/2015/12/10/nba-free-agency-2016-the-top-players/

We'll have a lot of cap space.  If some miracle happens and we need more, it won't be hard to find some team to take on salary for a 1st. 

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 07:21:37 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Pass on Dwight. I had doubts about his maturity and passion before he ended up in Houston. I have no doubts now, he's never going to be a guy you can build a team around.

Death, taxes, and unhappy Dwight.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 07:31:02 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

Land a star of near-star this year in a trade and we absolutely are considered strongly by any top FA.

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2015, 08:13:07 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

They should trade him back to Orlando!  That would be N B A Fantastic!  ;)
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2015, 08:49:23 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Evan Fournier from ORL has been sucking since changing positions....he would fit very well with us if he got back to how he was playing earlier this year.

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2015, 09:03:49 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
C's can't hit Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.. :-[

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2015, 12:38:16 AM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

Holy hell, an extremely positive post from LarBrd33! About the Celtics, nonetheless! I'm so proud of you!

every year with this. we aren't getting any FAs to sign here.  primadonna ballers that have had their butts kissed and surrounded by yes men in their family/entourage since AAU ball do not give a single iota about prestige or history of a franchise.  the only types of players that angle carries any gravitas with at all are established veterans that have been chewed up and spit out by the league and in having done so have earned a greater appreciation for the sport.  Sure there are exceptions to the rule, once in a while you'll have a decent player that actually does give a hoot about those things but by and large, they are notions that fan bases care about FAR more than any serious athletes do.

We aren't getting a big time free agent to come to Beantown unless we already have an established superstar on our roster already.  not to mention that having money is going to mean very little in the upcoming offseasons, as virtually every team will have the same green (save Toronto, believe they have Loonies or Toonies up there.  doubt those are green.).  All that said, I'm interested to see what Danny can cook up for a trade, though honestly with the core we have already I'm starting to lean more towards keeping the Brooklyn pick and getting another piece to develop and instead trading some of our young guys/rookie deals for established veteran depth.  The only players I would be able to talk myself into dealing that pick for would be MAYBE Boogie (doubt it happens) and probably Drummond (won't happen).

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2015, 12:53:11 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Let's trade James Young for RJ Hunter and Jordan Mickey.

Oh.....wait......

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2015, 01:37:27 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Can we really be a player in free agency this summer though? Have we ever even been in consideration for any top free agent ever? I know the argument is we never had cap space to go for one, but we are not a top FA destination with the cold weather, taxes, general Boston environment, etc. We would have to sell the heck out of CBS being the main attraction here, and can we really risk the future of this team to take that chance? I'm not saying its not a good option, I'm just not convinced. For example, what is the realistic chance that Durant signs with us this summer? 10% at best?

To be fair, last summer was the first time the Celtics had significant cap room since 1997.  And reports indicated that the C's were on a pretty short list of places Kevin Love wanted to play for.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 02:01:12 AM by freshinthehouse »