Poll

Will Smart will end up being top two player in his draft class

Yes It's Smart and Wiggins then everyone else.
16 (22.5%)
No. Parker or Lavine will end up better.
23 (32.4%)
I don't know man it's his second year.
32 (45.1%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: Poll: Smart will end up being top two player in his draft class.  (Read 8969 times)

Re: Poll: Smart will end up being top two player in his draft class.
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2015, 09:35:07 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Um... Parker or... Lavine?? What?

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2015, 09:36:16 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I would say that Smart had a better chance at being the top player in this draft if you added the condition of "two-way player" to the poll, but in reality this particular draft was deep with potential two-way players: Wiggins, Embiid, Gordon, Exum, Smart, Payton, etc. Though I'm fairly confident in saying that unless Embiid miraculously turns his career around and realizes every bit of potential that he has (which he still has a ways to go given his relatively short playing career), Smart will be the best defender in this class hands down.

What about KJ McDaniels?  He's a great defensive player, as well.

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2015, 09:46:12 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I would say that Smart had a better chance at being the top player in this draft if you added the condition of "two-way player" to the poll, but in reality this particular draft was deep with potential two-way players: Wiggins, Embiid, Gordon, Exum, Smart, Payton, etc. Though I'm fairly confident in saying that unless Embiid miraculously turns his career around and realizes every bit of potential that he has (which he still has a ways to go given his relatively short playing career), Smart will be the best defender in this class hands down.

I like KJ too, thing is he is a Crowder that can't shoot. Not a very high ceiling, at least as things look now.

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2015, 09:47:09 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

He needs to take better shots this year, and become a better playmaker. It's really that simple for him in my opinion. If summer league is any guide he's made progress on the second thing but not the first.

I'm totally convinced at this point that the shot selection is just part of the whole package with Smart.  We want him to play tough, aggressive, and a little cocky.  Being willing to take shots is part of that.

His field goal percentage may never be pretty as a result, but as long as he steadily improves as an outside shooter, at least on catch-and-shoot opportunities, and gets to the line more often, his overall efficiency will be fine.

I'm not sure that it matters with his jump shot, lol ;D. For all of those people who still say that Rondo can't shoot, even when he was a rookie, I don't remember seeing his shot sailing to the left or the right of the basket, as is the case with Smart, and that's a bad sign.  It's fine if the shot is short or long, because at least the trajectory is correct, but being 'just a bit outside' ;) is a nightmare.  Smart also jumps and lands awkwardly when he's shooting, like, as soon as he jumps, his body slants at a 70-75 degree angle, which means that he lands awkwardly, which puts him at greater risk to injure his ankles when he lands.  Has anyone else noticed this?  It looks like a gun that's just recoiled, lol ;D. He has really got to work that out if he ever wants to be even an adequate shooter, imo.

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2015, 09:53:07 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I like KJ too, thing is he is a Crowder that can't shoot. Not a very high ceiling, at least as things look now.

Hmm, idk about the Crowder comparison.  Idt Jae can guard shooting guards because of his lack of quickness, while KJ can at least guard the swing positions, and probably point guards, but he can also come from the weak side and send that sh1t outta there, lol ;D, which is pretty rare for someone of his size.  Clearly he needs to continue to develop his jumper and all around game, but the defense is already there, obviously.