Author Topic: Is Bass killing our tanking?  (Read 12438 times)

Re: Is Bass killing our tanking?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 05:40:36 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Why are we getting rid of him again ?

If teams are still going to low ball for his services than he should be kept.  No sense in trading him.  Shoot, re-up him if you can bring him back on a solid deal.

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 05:58:37 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I want all young players playing and I don't want any useful veterans who will not be part of our future rescuing them.

I think there is a non-zero chance that Bass will be a Celtic next season.
The non-zero chance that Bass is a Celtic next year is  probably close to 1%. Bass is the kind of player that you bring in as a solid bench player when you are a contender.

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 06:10:46 PM »

Offline BraxVitto

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
I would say its more showing Bass off a bit more so other teams have bigger interest in adding him for their playoff run.

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 06:11:51 PM »

Offline MikeB12

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28
Irish Stew...the Celtics are not tanking (losing games deliberately) and all the fans on this forum who think this is true...I have some swampland in Florida I would like to see you... ;)

Just because Ainge traded Rondo and Green doesn't mean Danny is trying to make the Celtics lose to get a better draft position.   It might seem that may be the case.   He is stockpiling draft choices I agree for the future but the Celtics players are definitely playing to win so I'm not surprised the Celtics have won back to back games because they still have at least some talent on the roster.

The problem is with all the turnover with the team, it is difficult to come up with a set lineup to maximize what talent they do have.   That said, I'm still not sure Brad Stevens is the right guy to coach the Celtics during this transition period...he is new to the NBA which in my mind is part of the reason the C's have not been able to win more games.  He is still getting familiar with the NBA style of play.  I don't believe the C's are the worst team in the NBA talent wise.

MikeB

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 06:20:42 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Irish Stew...the Celtics are not tanking (losing games deliberately) and all the fans on this forum who think this is true...I have some swampland in Florida I would like to see you..

What exactly does see you mean, is that a Boston Term or is it meant to be sell you?

Just because Ainge traded Rondo and Green doesn't mean Danny is trying to make the Celtics lose to get a better draft position.   It might seem that may be the case.   He is stockpiling draft choices I agree for the future but the Celtics players are definitely playing to win so I'm not surprised the Celtics have won back to back games because they still have at least some talent on the roster.

This roster is flawed by design.   It is a mix of parts that play hard but do not match up well.   Sometimes we win, wait until he trades a few more parts and we will see if you can still say that.  We beat some bad teams and teams without stars in rest mode.   That does not mean that we are a good team.

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 06:55:03 PM »

Offline Mass_1081

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
Don't kill yourselves tankers, you'll always have Philly.

We are not tanking. The Knicks and the Sixers are tanking. Only a blind person can't see the difference between them and us. We are just a bad team. We can win a few games, but we are still a bad team with some good prospects. They are getting better.

Give up, wishful thinkers. We are not getting Okafor or Towns. No team will trade a top 3 pick with us (if we get a top 3 pick would you accept to trade down with another team?). We're taking the sixth or seventh pick. And that's ok. Stephen Curry was a seventh pick. Klay Thompson was an eleventh pick. We can draft good players and develop them.

Deal with it. This is a long rebuild.

I hate when people mention GS or the Pacers getting lucky in the draft. Befor GS drafted Curry they had eight strait years drafting at the end of the lottery, not one of those became anything close to a star player. Indiana also had five years of misses in the drafting in the same place befor hitting with George. Celtics, same thing with Pierce. I'm all for winning if guys like Sully or Smart are the reason, but draft position usually is based on a few wins at the end of the season. For those people that say you need a winning culture, most of these guys won't be here for the next title..... that excuse is nuts I say.

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 06:58:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Bass has been good. I'm ok with Danny giving him a 2 year extension. Same goes for Thornton and Prince

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 07:14:24 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Assuming we're tanking?  (which is stupid)

Yes.  And that's only part of why I love him.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2015, 07:38:44 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Because he's playing hard and is trying to win?

I guess in a way he is, but can you blame him? Players compete. Competitors don't like losing. If we really are tanking, we need to trade him to Portland ASAP.

But I don't want that. I'd like to keep a player like Bass around. Competing till the very end.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 07:52:45 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
Irish Stew...the Celtics are not tanking (losing games deliberately) and all the fans on this forum who think this is true...I have some swampland in Florida I would like to see you... ;)

The problem is with all the turnover with the team, it is difficult to come up with a set lineup to maximize what talent they do have.   That said, I'm still not sure Brad Stevens is the right guy to coach the Celtics during this transition period...he is new to the NBA which in my mind is part of the reason the C's have not been able to win more games.  He is still getting familiar with the NBA style of play.  I don't believe the C's are the worst team in the NBA talent wise.

MikeB
The kind of tanking that I am talking about comes not from a lack of effort by the players or a lack of integrity by the coach but from a deliberate effort to move veteran players who will not be with us when we are a contender. There is nothing morally compromising about this. It is simply a strategy to go with our young players, probably lose most of our games, and pick near the top of the draft. That is a legitimate path to improve the talent level of this team.

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 08:02:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Lets put it this way.

What would of tanking badly last season would of done??
Outside of Wiggins what have the other 5 guys before Smart shown?   
3 guys are likely out for the year (Parker, Embiid, Gordon) and Exum is not doing any better than Smart.
Only when there is going to be another Duncan, Durant would tanking purposely be worthwhile.
I mean if this was the case for the 2015 draft, Danny would of traded Bass, Thornton, Prince, Sullnger, Turner by now. 

Bottom line is you can get some real good players in the draft anywhere from (8-14) but Danny and CBS will have to do their homework.   I rather play well and draft a guy from 8-14 vs playing like crap (having no system in place)  getting a guy earlier where there is only a minor chance they become better players in the league

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2015, 08:45:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Did you ever consider that Bass is playing hard to find a new home?  I know there was an article about him not wanting to leave the team but this happens whenever a guy is on the trading block.

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2015, 08:48:20 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Lets put it this way.

3 guys are likely out for the year (Parker, Embiid, Gordon) and Exum is not doing any better than Smart.
Only when there is going to be another Duncan, Durant would tanking purposely be worthwhile.
I mean if this was the case for the 2015 draft, Danny would of traded Bass, Thornton, Prince, Sullnger, Turner by now. 

Bottom line is you can get some real good players in the draft anywhere from (8-14) but Danny and CBS will have to do their homework.   I rather play well and draft a guy from 8-14 vs playing like crap (having no system in place)  getting a guy earlier where there is only a minor chance they become better players in the league
if I recall correctly, you've been one of the more-vocal people here in favor of tanking for the past couple of seasons. 

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2015, 08:53:39 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
If the question is would I rather have Wiggins, Parker, or Embiid instead of Smart, my answer would be yes, yes, and yes.

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2015, 09:27:14 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Lets put it this way.

if I recall correctly, you've been one of the more-vocal people here in favor of tanking for the past couple of seasons.

I think you recall correctly.