Author Topic: Could Rondo average a triple double for the season?  (Read 12788 times)

Re: Could Rondo average a triple double for the season?
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2014, 07:05:54 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Nope, only one player has ever done it and that was for one season.  He has three this season out of what twenty or so games.  Not even close.

Larry Bird, Magic nor LBJ did not or could not do it.  Do you really think RR can?

Out of the three guys you've listed, Magic is the only one who ever tried, Lebron is a pathetic rebounder for a guy of his size and athletic ability, and I don't believe that Bird even considered it, but if there was anyone who could have done so, it would be Larry, imo, even in the last two years of his career, when he was even more of a playmaker after DJ had retired and Ainge had been traded, but I somehow sense that #33 wouldn't have been terribly interested in the whole thing, to be honest.  Sure, he could do anything and everything out there by himself, but he always did so within the framework of the team, as Bill Walton said.  I don't know, but I do think that Rondo could.  He doesn't have to get a triple double every game, anyway - he just needs to average a triple double, if that makes any sense.  In one game, he could score 12 points, grab 8 rebounds, and dish out 11 assists, and in the other, he could score 8 points, grab 12 rebounds, and hand out 9 assists.
I actually remember Bird saying he COULD have averaged a triple double one season if he tried

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2014, 07:46:30 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I know stats are fun, but they don't really mean anything when you lose most of your games while averaging a triple double. Rondo's rebounding numbers are a bit overrated in my opinion. By no means I'm saying he's not a good rebounder, he is a great one. But when his numbers are high, you can see they are mostly defensive rebounds, and some of them are uncontested ones with ours bigs boxing out for him. Pay attention when he gets rebounds next time and you'll see that.

He steals rebounds from teammates. There are many times a teammate will have position for the rebound and he'll swoop in and grab it. He does it quite often, the only player I see it do it to the same degree is Stephenson.

You act as if that is a bad thing.  That is what a good block out generates.  It generates space for either the guy blocking out or a team mate to secure the rebound.  The whole 'he is stealing rebounds from team mates' and he is 'padding his assist stats' is just people looking for something to complain about.  I want to see our team get rebounds, I have no preference for who gets them.  So typical of some people.  Rondo leads all guards in rebounding, but somehow he isn't doing it how 'you' think he should, so he is somehow being selfish about it.
smh

If someone else is in better position to take the rebound, you should leak out and make your self available for the fast break.   You should make the correct play for the position your in.

Exactly. There are countless times his teammates have the rebound essentially locked up and Rondo takes it away instead of leaking out, trying to receive an outlet pass, and starting the fastbreak.

He is starting the fast break because he has the ball, and he looks for a transition opportunity. He's already close to the basket to help with the rebounding, and he doesn't know that his teammate will have the rebound locked up until it bounces off the rim to that player. The whole "stealing rebounds" thing is probably a wash anyways because he's often in position for a rebound that a teammate comes in and grabs it.

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2014, 07:50:27 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Nope, only one player has ever done it and that was for one season.  He has three this season out of what twenty or so games.  Not even close.

Larry Bird, Magic nor LBJ did not or could not do it.  Do you really think RR can?

Out of the three guys you've listed, Magic is the only one who ever tried, Lebron is a pathetic rebounder for a guy of his size and athletic ability, and I don't believe that Bird even considered it, but if there was anyone who could have done so, it would be Larry, imo, even in the last two years of his career, when he was even more of a playmaker after DJ had retired and Ainge had been traded, but I somehow sense that #33 wouldn't have been terribly interested in the whole thing, to be honest.  Sure, he could do anything and everything out there by himself, but he always did so within the framework of the team, as Bill Walton said.  I don't know, but I do think that Rondo could.  He doesn't have to get a triple double every game, anyway - he just needs to average a triple double, if that makes any sense.  In one game, he could score 12 points, grab 8 rebounds, and dish out 11 assists, and in the other, he could score 8 points, grab 12 rebounds, and hand out 9 assists.
I actually remember Bird saying he COULD have averaged a triple double one season if he tried

There was one time where Magic (and possibly someone else) was getting a lot of triple doubles and Bird wasn't and the reporters kept bringing it up. The Celts had a 6 game road trip and Bird put up 4 triple doubles in those games (or something close to that) and told people he could get them whenever he wanted.

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2014, 08:01:44 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

Bird was never close.  His best assists per game in a season where he had double digit rebounds was just 5.5 and he was never within 3 assists of 10 in any season (and he didn't get all that close to the boards that season either).  That is a long way away from a triple double.

Magic on the other hand was very close in 81/82.  He averaged 18.6 p, 9.5 a, and 9.6 r (he needed 29 more rebounds and 37 more assists).  That is what you call close.

When accounting for pace and overall production, Jordan had the greatest statistical season (when looking at the 3 categories together) in basketball history in 88/89 when he averaged 32.5 p, 8.0 r, and 8.0 a. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 08:14:27 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2014, 08:54:46 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

There was one time where Magic (and possibly someone else) was getting a lot of triple doubles and Bird wasn't and the reporters kept bringing it up. The Celts had a 6 game road trip and Bird put up 4 triple doubles in those games (or something close to that) and told people he could get them whenever he wanted.
yes that is what i was thinking of, this was when bird was shooting left handed for games, dominating

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2014, 10:06:44 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Not to besmirch the Legend too much, but I'm sure we've all met someone that's offered a variation of "could've XYZ'd if I was trying," particularly when they don't actually perform to expectations.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2014, 10:09:34 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Random Larry Bird triple-double fact:  he once recorded a triple-double by halftime. (17 points, 10 rebounds, 11 assists on 4/1/87).  Bird is also the only player since 1986 to put up a line of at least 30/15/15.

http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2014/11/18/april-1st-1987-otherwise-known-night-larry-bird-triple-doubled-halftime/

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2014, 10:11:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Still four out of six, is not averaging it for a year.

Bird had the skillset, even a better skillset than Rondo for getting them.  He also is the best rebounder in this thread.

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2014, 10:11:32 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Random Larry Bird triple-double fact:  he once recorded a triple-double by halftime. (17 points, 10 rebounds, 11 assists on 4/1/87).  Bird is also the only player since 1986 to put up a line of at least 30/15/15.

http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2014/11/18/april-1st-1987-otherwise-known-night-larry-bird-triple-doubled-halftime/

This is absurdly.

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2014, 10:12:45 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Not to besmirch the Legend too much, but I'm sure we've all met someone that's offered a variation of "could've XYZ'd if I was trying," particularly when they don't actually perform to expectations.

I think Larry absolutely could have, it just would have hurt the team.  If the offense ran through Larry to the exclusion of everyone else, there's no doubt in my mind that he would have averaged 10+ assists.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2014, 10:16:09 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
There was also the game when Bird had a triple double and 9 steals by the end of the 3rd quarter, and sat out the 4th instead of going for the quadruple double.

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2014, 10:31:55 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

I think Larry absolutely could have, it just would have hurt the team.  If the offense ran through Larry to the exclusion of everyone else, there's no doubt in my mind that he would have averaged 10+ assists.

I think that if there was a way for Bird to have gotten away with averaged a triple double, he absolutely would've gone for it. For all his otherworldly basketball ability, I don't think this particular thing would've been something that was in his grasp over 82 games.

There's a lot of mythology about sacrificing individual accomplishments for the sake of the team, and while a metric ton of it is justifiable when you look at his career, as well as the game footage, I don't think this falls under that purview. 
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2014, 10:33:38 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah if LeBron/Bird can't do it I don't think anyone can with modern conditions of pace, competition, and schedule.

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2014, 10:34:06 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I think that if there was a way for Bird to have gotten away with averaged a triple double, he absolutely would've gone for it. For all his otherworldly basketball ability, I don't think this particular thing would've been something that was in his grasp over 82 games.

Is there an example of Larry putting stats above wins?  Larry wasn't above hanging stats (like putting up 60), but I think that winning mattered more.

As I mentioned, he could have had a quadruple double easily enough, but decided to sit out as he had "done enough damage". 

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2014, 10:36:07 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Is there an example of Larry putting stats above wins?  Larry wasn't above hanging stats (like putting up 60), but I think that winning mattered more.

As I mentioned, he could have had a quadruple double easily enough, but decided to sit out as he had "done enough damage".

my edit was too slow, so I'll repeat:

There's a lot of mythology about sacrificing individual accomplishments for the sake of the team, and while a metric ton of it is justifiable when you look at his career, as well as the game footage, I don't think this falls under that purview.