Author Topic: Could Rondo average a triple double for the season?  (Read 12786 times)

Re: Could Rondo average a triple double for the season?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 09:00:41 PM »

Offline Gari

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
I know stats are fun, but they don't really mean anything when you lose most of your games while averaging a triple double. Rondo's rebounding numbers are a bit overrated in my opinion. By no means I'm saying he's not a good rebounder, he is a great one. But when his numbers are high, you can see they are mostly defensive rebounds, and some of them are uncontested ones with ours bigs boxing out for him. Pay attention when he gets rebounds next time and you'll see that.

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 09:01:46 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I know stats are fun, but they don't really mean anything when you lose most of your games while averaging a triple double. Rondo's rebounding numbers are a bit overrated in my opinion. By no means I'm saying he's not a good rebounder, he is a great one. But when his numbers are high, you can see they are mostly defensive rebounds, and some of them are uncontested ones with ours bigs boxing out for him. Pay attention when he gets rebounds next time and you'll see that.

So what? The Celtics are an undersized team everyone needs to rebound.

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 09:43:29 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
How about he SUCCESSFULLY practices his shooting, or not, but somehow gets back to his career shooting averages so most of us want to see him stay?

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 10:09:59 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I would think that "some of his rebounds are uncontested" and "his teammates box out on some of the rebounds he gets" would probably apply to every player in the nba.

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 11:07:19 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44

I would think that "some of his rebounds are uncontested" and "his teammates box out on some of the rebounds he gets" would probably apply to every player in the nba.

http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/player/rebounding/?sort=REB_CONTESTED&dir=1

The top guys are getting 5 contested reb/g.

Rondo is getting 1.7/g. 

While that is lower than players with similar overall rebounds, its 3rd amongst gaurds, behind MCW,  Westbrook @ 2/g.

Nice to see Sully up there with 4/g.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 01:55:47 AM by inverselock »

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 11:19:23 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

He steals rebounds from teammates. There are many times a teammate will have position for the rebound and he'll swoop in and grab it. He does it quite often, the only player I see it do it to the same degree is Stephenson.

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 11:53:55 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

He steals rebounds from teammates. There are many times a teammate will have position for the rebound and he'll swoop in and grab it. He does it quite often, the only player I see it do it to the same degree is Stephenson.

You act as if that is a bad thing.  That is what a good block out generates.  It generates space for either the guy blocking out or a team mate to secure the rebound.  The whole 'he is stealing rebounds from team mates' and he is 'padding his assist stats' is just people looking for something to complain about.  I want to see our team get rebounds, I have no preference for who gets them.  So typical of some people.  Rondo leads all guards in rebounding, but somehow he isn't doing it how 'you' think he should, so he is somehow being selfish about it.
smh

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2014, 12:03:53 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Magic is the only player I have ever seen who really could have averaged a triple double. He was close i the early 80's. If memory serves, he was only a half rebound away on both rebounds and assists for the season. That's about as close as we will probably ever see.

Yeah, when I saw the sportscentury for Oscar, Magic said that he had tried to do it, but ultimately came up short.  I know that the game is different nowadays, but given the fact that Stevens wants 'pace and space' or whatever, I think that the team is more effective wen Rondo gets the rebound, because he starts the fast break THEN.  He did this more so starting in 2009-10, especially in the playoffs, and it worked out very well for everyone involved.  I think he should go for it.  The fact that he's even averaging 7.6 rpg at 6'1" is already impressive enough, but since we're not going anywhere this season, I think he should absolutely go for it.  He's in his prime, and, as Bird said in The Big Three (iirc), you won't get these days back.  Setting such a goal won't negatively impact the team, anyway, imo.

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2014, 12:07:39 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I think he could on the right team. He's clearly a guy that is most successful on a prominent team. Makes sense... he's got superior court awareness and passing ability, rebounds well, and can score off penetration. Place a lot of good scorers around him that aren't ball stoppers - can work off the ball - and spread the floor...I think he could make it happen.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2014, 12:13:33 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Nope, only one player has ever done it and that was for one season.  He has three this season out of what twenty or so games.  Not even close.

Larry Bird, Magic nor LBJ did not or could not do it.  Do you really think RR can?

Out of the three guys you've listed, Magic is the only one who ever tried, Lebron is a pathetic rebounder for a guy of his size and athletic ability, and I don't believe that Bird even considered it, but if there was anyone who could have done so, it would be Larry, imo, even in the last two years of his career, when he was even more of a playmaker after DJ had retired and Ainge had been traded, but I somehow sense that #33 wouldn't have been terribly interested in the whole thing, to be honest.  Sure, he could do anything and everything out there by himself, but he always did so within the framework of the team, as Bill Walton said.  I don't know, but I do think that Rondo could.  He doesn't have to get a triple double every game, anyway - he just needs to average a triple double, if that makes any sense.  In one game, he could score 12 points, grab 8 rebounds, and dish out 11 assists, and in the other, he could score 8 points, grab 12 rebounds, and hand out 9 assists.

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2014, 12:13:50 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
what a me-first player trying to rack up all those stats.  better off trading him for a draft pick.

[sarcasm font]

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2014, 12:20:03 AM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford

You act as if that is a bad thing.  That is what a good block out generates.  It generates space for either the guy blocking out or a team mate to secure the rebound.  The whole 'he is stealing rebounds from team mates' and he is 'padding his assist stats' is just people looking for something to complain about.  I want to see our team get rebounds, I have no preference for who gets them.  So typical of some people.  Rondo leads all guards in rebounding, but somehow he isn't doing it how 'you' think he should, so he is somehow being selfish about it.
smh

If someone else is in better position to take the rebound, you should leak out and make your self available for the fast break.   You should make the correct play for the position your in.

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2014, 12:24:07 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

smh

If someone else is in better position to take the rebound, you should leak out and make your self available for the fast break.   You should make the correct play for the position your in.

And getting a rebound is not making a correct play?

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2014, 12:31:36 AM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
Read my 1st sentence.   In that context,  no.

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2014, 04:12:43 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

smh

Exactly. There are countless times his teammates have the rebound essentially locked up and Rondo takes it away instead of leaking out, trying to receive an outlet pass, and starting the fastbreak.

This is exactly what I was talking about with Stephenson and Rondo does the same thing.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24576837/stephensons-selfish-play-may-cost-pacers-and-the-future-free-agent

Remember when Pacers center Roy Hibbert said earlier this season that there were "some selfish dudes in here?" According to ESPN.com, Hibbert was talking about Lance Stephenson. The report went a bit farther, noting not only that Stephenson had been on a Me First rampage since being left off the Eastern Conference All-Star team -- starting a "personal vendetta" against Eastern coaches -- but that Stephenson "has always had a habit of so-called 'stealing rebounds,' jumping in front of or over a teammate who had an uncontested rebound to get it for himself. This phenomenon reached a new level in the back half of the regular season. Hibbert ... was often a victim in these "friendly-fire rebounds."