Author Topic: Could Rondo average a triple double for the season?  (Read 12789 times)

Could Rondo average a triple double for the season?
« on: December 11, 2014, 02:21:34 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
If he wanted to do it this year, does anyone think that he could?  I certainly wouldn't put it past him, haha ;D.  Honestly, the only stat that would concern me in such a pursuit would be points, lol ;D.  We all know how incredible of a passer and rebounder he is, so why not go for it and etch his name next to the Big O's, and as a 6'1" player, no less.  I don't think such a goal would take away from the team, either, honestly, because he wouldn't be like Kobe jacking up 35 shots a game, haha ;D.  Thoughts?

Sidebar - I'm not sure if this topic should be under Celtics Talk or Celtics History, so if it's in the wrong section, I apologize.

Re: Could Rondo average a triple double for the season?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 02:26:41 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Maybe can can also shoot over 30% from FT, FG, and 3!

This might be tougher though.

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 02:31:48 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

why would you expect him to be a good ft shooter or 3 pt shooter when he hasn't been for 8 years?

He is still an all-star caliber player.

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 04:46:08 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
+30% ft fg 3p doesn't make him a good shooter. He s shown he can be a decent one though!

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 07:36:23 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
If he wanted to do it this year, does anyone think that he could?  I certainly wouldn't put it past him, haha ;D.  Honestly, the only stat that would concern me in such a pursuit would be points, lol ;D.  We all know how incredible of a passer and rebounder he is, so why not go for it and etch his name next to the Big O's, and as a 6'1" player, no less.  I don't think such a goal would take away from the team, either, honestly, because he wouldn't be like Kobe jacking up 35 shots a game, haha ;D.  Thoughts?

Sidebar - I'm not sure if this topic should be under Celtics Talk or Celtics History, so if it's in the wrong section, I apologize.

The rebounding is unlikely to happen. There were significantly more missed shots a game when Oscar played.

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 08:02:26 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
rondo is currently averaging:

8.5 points
6.4 rebounds
10.8 assists

it is conceivable he could do it, though the rebounding will be a stretch. he would have to rebound at about a 50% great rate. doable, but why?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 08:09:59 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He's not even close on the rebounds.  He could average 10 rebounds for a couple weeks at a time, but it's not what he should be focusing on. 

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 10:04:21 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

8.5 points
6.4 rebounds
10.8 assists

it is conceivable he could do it, though the rebounding will be a stretch. he would have to rebound at about a 50% great rate. doable, but why?

Actually 7.6 rebounds.  The 6.4 is only defensive boards.

Rondo has 144 boards so far through 19 games, with 62 left to play.  If he plays in the remaining 62 games (so 81 for the season), he needs to grab 810 total rebounds.  That means he needs to average 10.74 boards a game over the next 62 games.  So he either has to get at least 11 boards almost every single night for the rest of the year, or have regular monster rebounding games (like at least once a week).  Even if he pulled down 15 boards once every 5 games, he’d still need to average 9.75 in the other 4 games for him to pull this off.

I know we always think about Rondo’s 18/20/17 game and think he does things like that all the time (also thanks in part to some awesome playoff stat lines), but in reality  he’s had only 2 regular season games with 15 or more rebounds in his career.  He also has only every gotten more than 11 rebounds twice in any single season, and you just know he’s going to have several games with 0-4 rebounds, so he’ll need regular monster games to pull up his average.

It’s fun to think about, and I know the thought has crossed my mind with how Rondo’s been a triple double threat regularly this season, but it’s not really a possibility.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 10:17:31 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

why would you expect him to be a good ft shooter or 3 pt shooter when he hasn't been for 8 years?

He is still an all-star caliber player.

Huh?  So you are happy with RR shooting 32% at the line when he is a career 61% shooter from the stripe??  So you are happy with RR shooting UNDER 40% from the floor when he has a career average over 48%???  Help me understand.

Smitty77

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 10:46:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nope, only one player has ever done it and that was for one season.  He has three this season out of what twenty or so games.  Not even close.

Larry Bird, Magic nor LBJ did not or could not do it.  Do you really think RR can?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 11:52:45 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 08:08:47 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
He's trying to, but I think he'll be hard pressed to average 8 rebounds.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 08:17:28 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
No way Rondo averages a triple double this year.  Averaging double digit rebounds is pretty difficult for any non-post player.  I mean there are only 10 guys in the whole nba that are averaging 10 boards a game and they are all PF/C's.  I can see him averaging a double double in assists and points though.

If he did somehow manage to average a triple double then he probably deserves whatever contract he is able to get, from whatever team.

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 08:23:01 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Magic is the only player I have ever seen who really could have averaged a triple double. He was close i the early 80's. If memory serves, he was only a half rebound away on both rebounds and assists for the season. That's about as close as we will probably ever see.

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 08:40:37 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
No way Rondo averages a triple double this year.  Averaging double digit rebounds is pretty difficult for any non-post player.  I mean there are only 10 guys in the whole nba that are averaging 10 boards a game and they are all PF/C's.  I can see him averaging a double double in assists and points though.

If he did somehow manage to average a triple double then he probably deserves whatever contract he is able to get, from whatever team.

This whole post, the bolded part in particular, reflects my feelings on this.

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 08:47:26 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

8.5 points
6.4 rebounds
10.8 assists

Actually 7.6 rebounds.  The 6.4 is only defensive boards.

Rondo has 144 boards so far through 19 games, with 62 left to play.  If he plays in the remaining 62 games (so 81 for the season), he needs to grab 810 total rebounds.  That means he needs to average 10.74 boards a game over the next 62 games.  So he either has to get at least 11 boards almost every single night for the rest of the year, or have regular monster rebounding games (like at least once a week).  Even if he pulled down 15 boards once every 5 games, he’d still need to average 9.75 in the other 4 games for him to pull this off.

I know we always think about Rondo’s 18/20/17 game and think he does things like that all the time (also thanks in part to some awesome playoff stat lines), but in reality  he’s had only 2 regular season games with 15 or more rebounds in his career.  He also has only every gotten more than 11 rebounds twice in any single season, and you just know he’s going to have several games with 0-4 rebounds, so he’ll need regular monster games to pull up his average.

It’s fun to think about, and I know the thought has crossed my mind with how Rondo’s been a triple double threat regularly this season, but it’s not really a possibility.
my mistake. good catch. thanks for that and a post with good homework behind it. tp.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva