Author Topic: Blakely: Will controversy erupt over Stevens' Smart-for-Rondo switch?  (Read 11541 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/will-controversy-erupt-over-stevens-smart-rondo-switch

The real issue is: What happens now?

As good as Smart was (23 points, 5 assists without a turnover, 4 rebounds and 2 steals), you have to believe that this kid has a few more gears he'll be able to shift into going forward . . . which means Stevens will be in the same spot probably sooner rather than later.

Does he play the hot hand of the rookie, or revert back to the proven All-Star?

By all accounts, Rondo had no problem on Monday being on the bench for both overtimes, all of the fourth quarter and the final 5:21 of the third.

But what if the Celtics find themselves in a similar position on Wednesday at Charlotte, or another game down the road?

Or what if Smart goes on a run of four, five, six games similar to what we saw on Monday, and those performances result in wins?

Would Stevens bench Rondo for Smart?

Can't see Rondo coming off the bench , even if last nights situation happened 3 or 4 times in the next 6 or 7 games.  Ainge will prob trade Rondo before BS has the green light to start Smart over Rondo. Though if Smart does outplay Rondo, starting or not, Rondo's value may start to plummet.   

Re: Blakely: Will controversy erupt over Stevens' Smart-for-Rondo switch?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 09:32:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
First, I think it's unrealistic to think that Smart will consistently outplay Rondo for several games.

Second, I'm still a believer in loyalty.  You don't bench a guy like Rondo just to play the "hot hand".

Third, there's no way Rondo comes back to Boston if he's benched.  Stevens would be essentially showing him the door, while tanking his trade value at the same time.

It's not happening.  Blakely just needed something to write about.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 09:38:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

From what I've seen of Smart's role on offense it's more likely Bradley sees the bench than Rondo.

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 09:43:15 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
First, I think it's unrealistic to think that Smart will consistently outplay Rondo for several games.

Second, I'm still a believer in loyalty.  You don't bench a guy like Rondo just to play the "hot hand".

Third, there's no way Rondo comes back to Boston if he's benched.  Stevens would be essentially showing him the door, while tanking his trade value at the same time.

I second that but if Smart did continue playing this well, it would be nice problem to have.

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 09:54:34 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If you believe that Stevens should play the hot hand, then you should agree that Smart should have fewer minutes on nights where Rondo and Bradley are both playing great.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 09:57:29 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
looks like today was a really slow news day.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 10:03:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Smart will consistently outplay Rondo on the defensive end. I mean Smart will  defensively outplay 80 percent of the guards in the league.  No question imo, I have seen enough

Offensively if Smart shoots the way he did yesterday on a more consistent basis, then Rondo better bring on Playoff Rondo mode on a nightly basis.

Danny is prob having some whisky right about now, smiling, knowing his plan is working out.  His plan to light a fire under Rondo's azz, then we will see from there

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 10:08:35 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I've been a huge Rondo fan for as long as he's been a Celtic.  When he's at his best he's good for at least one play a game where you say 'wow how'd he do that?' But I don't think what happened last night is just  'hot hand' thing, and I don't think Rondo fits with the direction this team's taking. 

Smart is the future and I really think Danny builds the team around him vs Rondo.  You can't construct a team around a below average outside shooter who doesn't bring it defensively every night - mainly because the majority of games are won and lost in the 4Q when it comes down to getting stops and scoring the ball.

Smart on the other hand, I think is a leader because this team plays off his lead. He's out there and all of a sudden they show some grit and play a little D.  They haven't done that with RR.  They sure as heck didn't show it while Smart was missing games.

Plus a team can't succeed with 2 Alpha dogs, especially if they play the same position.  Maybe Smart could be a 2 - but if RR's making close to max money is that the best use of your cap space - given the holes on this roster?

To me it's a matter of time before Danny makes a move and the move has to come soon if they're going to get anything for Rondo. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:16:27 PM by Kuberski33 »

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 10:09:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Danny is prob having some whisky right about now, smiling, knowing his plan is working out.  His plan to light a fire under Rondo's azz, then we will see from there

Pretty sure Danny isn't having any whiskey tonight.

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 10:16:32 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Can't everyone just be happy that the team is playing harder and better--?...Rather than trying to start some BS controversy---it seems RR was quite ecstatic for the way his teammates had gotten back into the game.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 10:18:30 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
You know what's funny? Sunday, Rondo posted a triple double against Washington in a win = Ho hum.

Monday night, Marcus Smart posts an impressive stat line in a loss against the same team = OMGah! Smart is the future. Rondo sucks. Trade everyone!

Can't we pump the brakes a little? Did Marcus play terrific? Yes, he did. Has he earned the keys to the car already? Considering going into last night's game, he was shooting 29% from the field, I'm gonna say not just yet. Why not allow the kid the opportunity to develop his game further. See if his shooting really sticks. And in the meantime, see if he can play alongside Rondo.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 10:25:02 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
LOL at the comments. Ring Lardner? I love it.

This is just an attempt at clickbaiting. I wonder if Blakely is paid by the question mark.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 10:26:32 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
You know what's funny? Sunday, Rondo posted a triple double against Washington in a win = Ho hum.

Monday night, Marcus Smart posts an impressive stat line in a loss against the same team = OMGah! Smart is the future. Rondo sucks. Trade everyone!

Marcus Smart's plus/minus between the 2 games= +13
Rajon Rondo's plus/minus between the 2 games= -8

;D ;D ;D

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 10:27:13 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Ditto.  Will controversy erupt over Stevens' Smart-for-Rondo switch? - it will as soon as I publish this article ;) ;D.  You know, Bradley didn't play much, either, and if Stevens is going to bench anyone or make changes to the starting lineup, I want to see Rondo and Smart play together.  Who knows, maybe this has the potential to be like what happened in Detroit when they drafted Dumars.  Later on that season, Daly put John Long on the bench and inserted Joe into the starting lineup, and the rest was history.  I'm not comparing any of our guys to Isiah or Joe, I'm just comparing the circumstances, as well as the changes in playing time and the starting lineup.

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 10:27:38 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Pretty sure Danny isn't having any whiskey tonight.

TP.